LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 124 users in the forums

What kind of offense do we run?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Yep, but McDonald should have caught the ball either way. If that is VD, it is an easy TD.

We need to continue to be a great running team, but run more three WR sets. Kaepernick needs to attempt about 32 passes per game, and that should be the difference from throwing for 3900 yards compared to 3200 yards. The type of offense we run is MADE for the playoffs so it shouldn't be tweaked all that much. Well, I mean using more three WR sets is a given, but we need to limit some of the pre-snap movement.

This offense will be top 6 in PPG, but should be top 10 in YPG as well.
  • Arson
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Clarity:
We do that just not as creatively. Look at the Green Bay Game where Kap passes for over 200 yards vs. the Green Bay Game in the playoffs.

I think what everyone really wants is a better passing offense to compliment our crazy run game.

We now have the pieces - > Crabtree, Davis, Boldin, Johnson, Patton/Ellington but the question really is: can we execute?

There's really no reason our passing game won't be better this year with all this talent but it won't look as creative as the 80's and 90's because of Harbaugh's coaching style.

Yeah , I think you could argue the 92-94 offense was one the best all times.
Question for you guys: how much of our offensive philosophy do the QBs pick up in training camp? Like percentage of the play book? Defensive reads and adjustments etc. and what is the process for clearing waivers and making it to the practice squad (for Johnson and Bethel-T)?

My concern is that we seem to be in a position to release 3 QBs by the end of August. These guys arent bums either. It seems like it's a no brained for the Rams or Cards to pick one up, give him a shot, and ask him to look at their 49ers gameplan.

I would hate for a division rival or any 2014 opponent to have an edge. I figured we were screwed but then I realized Roman doesn't even know what he's gonna do. Can't really put my finger on what our offensive philosophy is.. It's unique but lacks creativity and roman seems to outsmart himself at times.

I like a lot of the thoughts mentioned in the forum. Seems like it could be so much more. Love the fact that the competition at QB 2-3 this year will sharpen everyone on our roster, defensive too. That benefit probably outweighs any immediate advantage these teams get by picking up a guy who knows the teams approach, reads, and playbook.

Anyone know if these QBs can just go sign and spill their guts? Good thing Roman thought this out already
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldBlooded1985:
Question for you guys: how much of our offensive philosophy do the QBs pick up in training camp? Like percentage of the play book? Defensive reads and adjustments etc. and what is the process for clearing waivers and making it to the practice squad (for Johnson and Bethel-T)?

My concern is that we seem to be in a position to release 3 QBs by the end of August. These guys arent bums either. It seems like it's a no brained for the Rams or Cards to pick one up, give him a shot, and ask him to look at their 49ers gameplan.

I would hate for a division rival or any 2014 opponent to have an edge. I figured we were screwed but then I realized Roman doesn't even know what he's gonna do. Can't really put my finger on what our offensive philosophy is.. It's unique but lacks creativity and roman seems to outsmart himself at times.

I like a lot of the thoughts mentioned in the forum. Seems like it could be so much more. Love the fact that the competition at QB 2-3 this year will sharpen everyone on our roster, defensive too. That benefit probably outweighs any immediate advantage these teams get by picking up a guy who knows the teams approach, reads, and playbook.

Anyone know if these QBs can just go sign and spill their guts? Good thing Roman thought this out already
i never worry about players giving away secrets once they are away from us. its all part of the game. besides its one thing to give away a secret about the way ck runs with the ball but its a whole other thing to simulate that in practice!. besides most of the qbs we released last year and will again this year be making tacos on taco tuesday two months after we cut them!. as far as an edge,. i really do not think it matters the scheme with us and seattle,, there are no secrets between the two of us. in regards to roman, if he was as smart as a few people around think he is, he would not have gore and ck changing his plays in the huddle to ones that work
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldBlooded1985:

As CC said I'm not concerned with it either. There are so many plays you can call on a given down and distance, that even having the playbook of your opponent isn't going to give you much of an edge. It's more match ups and having great athletes on your team than playbooks.
Share 49ersWebzone