There are 89 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I'm still proud of our team......

Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by dj43:
Two contracts may dictate whether the window is open or not:

Crabtree and Kaepernick.

Crabtree, based on his past, is going to want MORE THAN Dwayne Bowe money ($11MILLION/YR). That represents an $8MILLION/yr increase over his present cap number. Will he settle for less or insist on "getting paid?" If he gets paid, it will mean someone like Iupati will not.

Kaepernick may have just played himself back a year in an extension unless he is willing to settle for a heavily incentive laden deal. His current cap number is $1.6MILLION/yr. He will certainly get a raise but is he worth the $18MILLION some have suggested. I don't think so but that is Tony Romo/Matthew Stafford territory and some will argue he deserves to be there. If Crabtree gets what he wants and Kaepernick pulls another $15MILLION INCREASE off the cap line, there will be a lot of young/cheaper players on the roster.

Gonna be a busy off-season.

Yeah I'd rather the 49ers extend Kap now, when his value is still not that high. Of course that will be up to Kap. He may want to play another year on his current contract and hope his value will increase next year based on his improved performance. Then again, he may think that he should get what he can now, given all the uncertainties of playing in the NFL.
If Kaep chooses to sign an extension now it will play well into the 49ers hands regarding signing other players. His agent may say otherwise though. Kaep might play out his contract and then threaten to leave to get what he wants. There will be teams that will give him close to what he wants. Every team knows his ceiling now. I can see an AZ or Houston coming after him, both teams that can get to the SB.
[ Edited by Baldie on Jan 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM ]
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Baldie:

Crabtree and Kaepernick.

Crabtree, based on his past, is going to want MORE THAN Dwayne Bowe money ($11MILLION/YR). That represents an $8MILLION/yr increase over his present cap number. Will he settle for less or insist on "getting paid?" If he gets paid, it will mean someone like Iupati will not.

Kaepernick may have just played himself back a year in an extension unless he is willing to settle for a heavily incentive laden deal. His current cap number is $1.6MILLION/yr. He will certainly get a raise but is he worth the $18MILLION some have suggested. I don't think so but that is Tony Romo/Matthew Stafford territory and some will argue he deserves to be there. If Crabtree gets what he wants and Kaepernick pulls another $15MILLION INCREASE off the cap line, there will be a lot of young/cheaper players on the roster.

what are the chances that Crabs and Kap decide to take money friendly contracts for the team? We can't make the same mistake the Ravens did with Flacco, granted we got Boldin (hoping we can bring back as well). Thats what I liked about the old 49ers. Guys willing to take less money or redo their deals so they can get more talent on the roster.

Only their agents can answer that question.

Based on past experience, it would not seem likely Crabtree would take less than top 5 money. Fitz and Megatron got $16+MILLION = another world. Harvin, Wallace, Bowe and Brandon Marshal were in the $11-12MILLION range. Marshall is clearly better but I would bet Crabtree is going to demand something close to the $12.9MILLION/yr that Harvin got. Even Bowe money ($11.2) will stretch the cap. I hope he has had some "coming to Jesus" moments and doesn't demand that kind of money but that is where the league average is right now and the fact Harbaugh called him the "greatest pass catcher" in the league certainly sets the stage for some hard ball.

Kaepernick is the best shot for some savings. Do a heavy incentive laden contract that starts low. Luck is getting $5.5MILLION/yr and is arguably a better QB. Give CK that plus a lot of performance incentives. If he demands Tony Romo money then you draft a QB high and let him play out his deal. If he begins to play like an $18MILLION QB but in the meantime, he has to earn it.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I stated in another thread that this was the end of the line for this version of the 49ers and that may well be true. Most of us are pretty certain that we are losing Carlos Rogers, Tarrell Brown, Donte Whitner, and Anthony Dixon and that Frank Gore and Justin Smith will obviously be another year older. However, there are some encouraging things in our future that lead me to believe the window is as open as it ever has been for the TEAM.

The only thing that tells me that Frank Gore and Justin Smith won't be there when we finally make it to the promised land is there aren't many teams in history that go to four straight conference championships. But even with all the losses that we will have as a result of free agency or as cap casualties, when you look at the rest of the NFC, I don't see many teams closing the gap by that much between us and them. Our biggest road blocks will be in the NFC West. However, we aren't that far from regaining the clear edge here. Even though we loss, because of the effort we gave, I don't think the idea of playing in Seattle is as big of a deal as it's been the last two visits (clear blowouts). The teams are as even as they come and to me that's only because our offense has not lived up to it's potential. Same could be said for Seattle considering who they are missing however.

This brings me to the draft. I'm fully confident that Trent Baalke can rebuild our secondary in one offseason. While I don't like the prospect of potentially starting two rookies, we should be ok, and with Vic Fangio mixing in a little more blitzing, our front 7 could make our secondary look how it did in 2011 (even if we are missing NaVorro Bowman at the start of the season). We are going to reap the benefits of the 2013 draft with guys like Marcus Lattimore, Tank Carradine, and possibly Quinton Dial playing a little more. Quinton Patton and Vance McDonald can become bigger parts of our offense. I hope through the offseason our coaching staff realizes just how wide open those two guys as well as our running backs are on pass plays. I swear we leave 50 or more yards passing a game out there on the field by not targeting them and locking so hard on Anquan Boldin and Michael Crabtree.

If Trent Baalke nails it with another draft in 2014 (I'm confident this will happen) and finally brings in some speed at receiver to open things up for everyone else, our rookies from 2013 are used as an integral part of the offense and defense in 2014 (remains to be seen), and Colin Kaepernick takes the next step forward (in the classroom and improves decision making which remains to be seen), I'll go ahead and say we will be right there next season and no defense, including the Legion of Boom will stop us.

thank you
its like, duh people. stop hyperventilating. i know its tough to keep perspective right after ground zero but all "the sky is falling" stuff is so silly.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Baldie:
In another thread, someone recalled CK had played very little in pre-season games (coach's decision).

THAT is when he should have been learning to scan the field. Let's hope Harbaugh doesn't make that mistake again.

I agree with the pre-season games but I also think it takes more than just 4 games to learn. Sometimes can take a season or 2. Steven Young didn't learn that skill until he was years into the league. Kap is learning at a faster rate thats for sure but he needs to grasp that concept NOW or else it'll never be enough

A lot can be accomplished in 4 games if that is combined with all the OTA and training camp time. My guess will be that Harbaugh will kick that into high gear given what we have seen this year. Gotta believe we are not the only ones seeing how many open receivers he has not seen.

Crabtree and Kaepernick.

Neither Kaep would get way more than 10 Mio. nor I would give Crabs 11 Mio., not even close. Crabs had just one REALLY good season, it was in 2012, that's all. I do think that we are "lucky" because of his injury this year. And the WR-class is really deep...so if we play this right, we will save a lot of money on him.

Kaep is way more difficult. Unless we get a promising QB in the draft. I would't be shocked if we draft one in the 2nd or early 3rd.
This team suffers an interesting problem, they're overachievers making up for shortcomings, but the shortcomings end up biting them in the ass when it counts most. Actually reminds me a A LOT of those old 49er teams from the 90s, when it was either Steve Young, or the defense choking games away to Dallas.

In an era of fierce FA, and Salary cap, we just went to three straight NFC Championship games. We're the Pats of the NFC. Most teams continue to lose in the wildcard round before even making a Superbowl! Our front office is gonna keep us in the playoffs for the next 5-10 years.
Only their agents can answer that question.

Based on past experience, it would not seem likely Crabtree would take less than top 5 money. Fitz and Megatron got $16+MILLION = another world. Harvin, Wallace, Bowe and Brandon Marshal were in the $11-12MILLION range. Marshall is clearly better but I would bet Crabtree is going to demand something close to the $12.9MILLION/yr that Harvin got. Even Bowe money ($11.2) will stretch the cap. I hope he has had some "coming to Jesus" moments and doesn't demand that kind of money but that is where the league average is right now and the fact Harbaugh called him the "greatest pass catcher" in the league certainly sets the stage for some hard ball.

Kaepernick is the best shot for some savings. Do a heavy incentive laden contract that starts low. Luck is getting $5.5MILLION/yr and is arguably a better QB. Give CK that plus a lot of performance incentives. If he demands Tony Romo money then you draft a QB high and let him play out his deal. If he begins to play like an $18MILLION QB but in the meantime, he has to earn it.

Luck is on his rookie deal, which is slotted and based on a formula. What Luck is getting on his rookie deal is totally irrelevant to what any QB should get or expect on their second contract. It's like saying Kap should sign for 500k a year because that's what Wilson is getting and Kap isn't significantly better than Wilson. The question is if the team believes Kap is as good as Cutler, Flacco, Stafford, Romo, etc. If so 18 mil per or so it is. That's reality.

Agreed about Crabs though. Good comparisons.
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
As I stated at nausea during the game: You must believe.

I know you guys remember the lean years. Some of you remember the wars against the Cowboys during the 90s. And some of you recall the time before Walsh. We as a collective have seen worse then this. I know it hurts, but we'll be okay.
hold me.
Originally posted by fropwns:
As I stated at nausea during the game: You must believe.

I know you guys remember the lean years. Some of you remember the wars against the Cowboys during the 90s. And some of you recall the time before Walsh. We as a collective have seen worse then this. I know it hurts, but we'll be okay.

I admit after the 4th down TD to Kearse I did not want to watch the game anymore. I knew deep down we werent going to win. Im concerned with my fanship
  • fropwns
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by SofaKing:
hold me.

We're going to be all right.

Originally posted by spizzy:
I admit after the 4th down TD to Kearse I did not want to watch the game anymore. I knew deep down we werent going to win. Im concerned with my fanship

No, you're a human. Today, you like me, still love 'em! You'll be aight.
after being a 49ers for a long time, i got to see which team hate the 49ers and which team doesn't. What i don't understand is why are there people who watch football and doesn't root for a team hate the 49ers? the 49ers have been sucking for so long until 3 years ago and now everyone is hating. why?
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home