There are 814 users in the forums

FANGIO COMES THROUGH IN THE CLUTCH!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Fangio got lucky with this win. I don't understand his stubbornness to rush a good QB like Matt Ryan who can pick you apart when given just a little time.

He's going to be facing some very good QB in the playoffs, and if he insists on playing just his standard 4 man front, he's going to lose.

In Arizona, he's going to be facing a Carson Palmer who can also pick you apart given a little time. Let's see if he's learned anything from this game.

You'd think he would have learned by now after having faced a Drew Brees and a Cam Newton.

drew brees and cam newton were bad examples.

this is the best game a qb has had on us the entire season and it was clear why.

he threw it 48 times tonight
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Matt Ryan 37/48 348 yards 2 TD 2 INT
Kap 13/21 197 yards 1TD, 6 rushes 51yards, 1 rush TD, 0 INT

I think Kap has the better all around numbers. Ryan had more than 2x the attempts, as the above post mentioned less YPA too. Kap's 21 attemps for 197 is over 9 yards per attempt.

kap had the far better game 13-21 and he had 3 drops that probably would have put him at almost 250 yards.
2td's and no turnovers. that's not efficient im tired of that word. he made all the plays he needed when they counted. thats good qb'ing
You guys are complaining about the D, yet forget how bad they were before the present coaching staff got here, you get too agressive too much and teams will pick your tendencies and exploit them in time. By using them only when you need to then they get surprised more often then not when you do. The niners are opportunistic, if the other side has to fight for every inch, there is a greater chance that a mistake will be made by the O, if you play to agressive like on the two big plays we gave up to tonight you give up the big score, like grudan said, except on a couple big plays, the falcons weren't really doing much.

In the end players make plays, Brock fought like a mad man to deny his man the ball, and Nav kept his eye peeled instead of getting tunnel vision and locked in on the wr only. Otherwise, the falcons would get nother opportunity. If Reid had not bit, he would not have gotten beaten since he should have known that there was no one else to back him up deep inside.

The only part I am having a real problem with is the O playing calling.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by ninerhippy:
Im tired of the complete stubbornness of this coaching staff. you can not get consistent pressure on the QB rushing just 4, especially in a 3-4, not in the modern NFL. In the NFCCG this dude waited until the game was on the line to A-gap blitz and SURPRISE SURPRISE, matt ryan fumbles the snap and we win. Tonight its the same story, we wait until the game is on the line to be aggresive. this staff never learns, THIS IS NOT f**kING STANFORD, PLEASE LEARN HOW TO PLAY FOOTBALL IN THE 21ST CENTURY, ENOUGH WITH THE JUMBO HORSEs**t, JUMBO PLAY ACTION, INSIDE HANDOFFS TO WIDEOUTS, LINING FULLBACKS OUT WIDE

WTF IS WRONG WITH THESES DUDES?? we gashed the absolut s**t outta the atl d on the ground and yet we didnt commit to the run until the 4th?

Agree with you to the max. That jumbo mumbo crap don't work and that soft coverage 3 pass rush crap don't work either. rush 5 and cover 6 man to man.

Rushing three players in the NFL requires a brain tumor. There is no excuse for it. It is a defense that consistently fails. We gave up the big touchdown pass with it this week, but we have given up huge plays just as bad in the past. The Saints had a 3rd and 14, we rushed three, and then got a first down, then they scored and barely hung on for the win. Only a brain tumor can explain this tactic.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Originally posted by ninerhippy:
Im tired of the complete stubbornness of this coaching staff. you can not get consistent pressure on the QB rushing just 4, especially in a 3-4, not in the modern NFL. In the NFCCG this dude waited until the game was on the line to A-gap blitz and SURPRISE SURPRISE, matt ryan fumbles the snap and we win. Tonight its the same story, we wait until the game is on the line to be aggresive. this staff never learns, THIS IS NOT f**kING STANFORD, PLEASE LEARN HOW TO PLAY FOOTBALL IN THE 21ST CENTURY, ENOUGH WITH THE JUMBO HORSEs**t, JUMBO PLAY ACTION, INSIDE HANDOFFS TO WIDEOUTS, LINING FULLBACKS OUT WIDE

WTF IS WRONG WITH THESES DUDES?? we gashed the absolut s**t outta the atl d on the ground and yet we didnt commit to the run until the 4th?

Agree with you to the max. That jumbo mumbo crap don't work and that soft coverage 3 pass rush crap don't work either. rush 5 and cover 6 man to man.

Rushing three players in the NFL requires a brain tumor. There is no excuse for it. It is a defense that consistently fails. We gave up the big touchdown pass with it this week, but we have given up huge plays just as bad in the past. The Saints had a 3rd and 14, we rushed three, and then got a first down, then they scored and barely hung on for the win. Only a brain tumor can explain this tactic.

Vic will change as the playoffs approach. Guy has been great. He will likely be a HC candidate at the end of the year. Not Roman.
I just feel like the defense tends to relax sometimes when we get a little lead, especially against bad teams. I mean, in the last two Atlanta drives before the pick six everyone knew Matt Ryan was going to Roddy White. Yet they kept giving him big cushions so he could release freely and have a lot of space to get open and catch the ball. I don't know if it's the play calling that relaxes or the players. I'm not too worried about them playing like this again, as I don't think they were playing with as much intensity this game as they normally play against good teams. I think the team as a whole seemed a little off tonight. The offense didn't get anything going until the second half. In the first half receivers were dropping balls, Kap was making inaccurate throws, the offensive line wasn't pass protecting very well, etc. Maybe all that Candlestick stuff was distracting, and maybe they thought they would easily beat the Falcons.
Atlanta did a very good job with their pass protection scheme. The niners will need to adjust because other teams will likely use it in the future.

Also, I hink the team was game planning a bit for Arizona as well this week, assuming the players get Christmas eve and Christmas off, that basically leaves only Thursday for practice, Friday for walk through before heading to Phoenix on Saturday.
Originally posted by Liono:
That was pure Candlestick Magic! Wow! It wouldn't have even been realistic fiction.

I also wonder about our game plan here. Matt Ryan is very good, but come on, how hard is it to stop Roddy freaking White? The Falcons have no run game and a s**t offensive line, and Ryan throws for 350 and has only 9 incomplete passes the entire game. Meanwhile, Kap can't even crack 200 against a bunch of rookies, with a MUCH better recieving corp.
It was 11 incomplete passes. He had 48 attempts, 48!!! Kap had 21.
Fangio must have watched the 4th down defense by the Ravens against us in the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by Liono:
That was pure Candlestick Magic! Wow! It wouldn't have even been realistic fiction.

I also wonder about our game plan here. Matt Ryan is very good, but come on, how hard is it to stop Roddy freaking White? The Falcons have no run game and a s**t offensive line, and Ryan throws for 350 and has only 9 incomplete passes the entire game. Meanwhile, Kap can't even crack 200 against a bunch of rookies, with a MUCH better recieving corp.
It was 11 incomplete passes. He had 48 attempts, 48!!! Kap had 21.

Ryan had a great game. And Ryan is far more accomplished than Kaepernick anyway. Well, I shouldn't say accomplished. But he does have more experience. Ryan isn't some scrub qb.
[ Edited by darkknight49 on Dec 24, 2013 at 6:21 AM ]

• buck
  • Veteran
As of this morning, after 15 games, the 49ers are ranked:

Third in scoring defense (Points per game)

Third in total defense (Yards per game)

Fourth in passing defense (Yards per game)

Fifth in rushing defense (Yards per game)

Just think how good our defense would be if Fangio knew what he was doing.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
perfect play call for that play and perfect execution by Brock.
Fangio sucked so hard last night. It was a terrible play calling all night except when we got desperate and had to make a stop. Thank God for Bowman.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by jays9ers:
Fangio sucked so hard last night. It was a terrible play calling all night except when we got desperate and had to make a stop. Thank God for Bowman.

ya, there was no doubt the falcons were about to score the go-ahead TD.
Originally posted by buck:
As of this morning, after 15 games, the 49ers are ranked:

Third in scoring defense (Points per game)

Third in total defense (Yards per game)

Fourth in passing defense (Yards per game)

Fifth in rushing defense (Yards per game)

Just think how good our defense would be if Fangio knew what he was doing.

That doofus. Where's Steve spagnolo when you need him?
Share 49ersWebzone