LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 627 users in the forums

Niners get 7th for Parys Haralson

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Niners get 7th for Parys Haralson

With Will Smith going down the Niners had some leverage. A fifth or sixth, if Baalke gets anything higher his rep only grows.
Originally posted by Raul98:
My guess is a 3rd rounder but i'm hoping a 2nd rounder since there D is terrible. The trade bummed me out he was a beast this preseason i couldn't wait to see how he would do in the regular season. But with lemonier playing well i guess i can see why they had to do this.

He was a "beast" because he was a mediocre starting-caliber player that was beating up on a bunch of guys that aren't even gonna make NFL rosters. If we get a 2nd - or even a 3rd - Baalke will have to register on the Megan's Law website for what he's done to KC and now NO.
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows26sCompensation for Parys Haralson is a conditional seventh-round pick in 2014, according to a league source.

I'm guessing that means it could become a 6th?

oh, wait!

Fire Baalke....being back Donahue
And? He still is a BACK UP coming back from a injury that is not a great pass rusher. Not only that, but the league knew we are high on Lemonier and Haralson was going to be our 4th OLB. Getting something from him is good enough for me. Again, fans tend to overrate their own players, but that's not how it works.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Saints acquired OLB Parys Haralson from the 49ers in exchange for a 2014 conditional seventh-round pick.

The Saints are the most desperate team in football when it comes to pass rushers, and this move just confirms it. The 49ers were going to cut Haralson. 29 years old, Haralson didn't play a down last season due to a triceps tear, and hasn't registered more than five sacks in any campaign since 2008. He's a long shot to help New Orleans. Meanwhile, the 49ers are loaded with pass rushers. They have Cam Johnson and rookie Corey Lemonier coming off highly impressive preseasons behind Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks.

Source: San Jose Mercury News
Aug 26 - 8:51 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/267497/niners-trade-olb-parys-haralson-to-saints

I was so far off, that I will have to take a space shuttle home.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
With Will Smith going down the Niners had some leverage. A fifth or sixth, if Baalke gets anything higher his rep only grows.

Already official, it will be a 7th rounder as long as he makes the team.
Originally posted by Empire49:
Originally posted by Raul98:
My guess is a 3rd rounder but i'm hoping a 2nd rounder since there D is terrible. The trade bummed me out he was a beast this preseason i couldn't wait to see how he would do in the regular season. But with lemonier playing well i guess i can see why they had to do this.

He was a "beast" because he was a mediocre starting-caliber player that was beating up on a bunch of guys that aren't even gonna make NFL rosters. If we get a 2nd - or even a 3rd - Baalke will have to register on the Megan's Law website for what he's done to KC and now NO.

Just read it was a 7th. Meh. Probably just a salary cap decision.

I wouldn't have helped the Saints out, though. Would rather release him and tell New Orleans to F off.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by sweetDwilly:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows26sCompensation for Parys Haralson is a conditional seventh-round pick in 2014, according to a league source.

I'm guessing that means it could become a 6th?

oh, wait!

Fire Baalke....being back Donahue

Yes. That is exactly how I would have interpreted my post. After all, you either agree with every move the front office makes (like AJ), or you want a whole new GM and staff. Makes sense to me...
  • thl408
Ideally, I would say a 4th, but because Baalke is a hustler, I say a 3rd.
I think a 5th and a conditional late round pick in another draft.

• thl408
I think some desperation on NO's part makes this deal a bit tilted towards Baalke. Saints should do well this season so I'm guessing the pick is towards the later part of the round.
Ok fellas, the title needs to be updated because most are not aware we got a 7th rounder out of this.
Originally posted by bret:
If you were a GM would you trade moire than a 7th for a past-his-prime reserve who is about to be cut? I know Parys is a quality player, but the league only thought he was worth a 5th rounder 7 years ago when he had his whole future in front of him. Do you really think "desperation" is going to make them absurdly over-value him today? Would you really do that if you were a GM?!

Alex Smtih got a 2nd and 3rd (possible 2nd) because he plays a more valuable position and he is a serviceable starter with a reasonable contract who could conceivably play another 10 years. And they weren't going to be able to draft a better quality quarterback with those picks. So the comparison is not relevant.

Parys is a top flight run defender and he can also get after the passer a bit. He's better than most teams starting OLB's. His age and contract will keep compensation down, but let's not downplay how good the guy is. He's only a slight downgrade from Brooks who was an all pro.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
I'd settle for an officiating crew with the balls to call an obvious penalty. (Even if its in the Superbowl)

this.

f**k ray lewis he's a murderer
Me thinks many posters are not reading the thread they are posting in

People ... it's a conditional 7th (not like they are going to read this post either).
Share 49ersWebzone