LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 290 users in the forums

Parys Haralson and LB depth

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just read the Barrows article about the OTA's this week and one line caught my eye.

"Haralson has looked very good -- man-on-a-mission good -- after missing all of last year with a torn triceps."

I have a feeling that we went from having the best group of four linebackers in the league to the best group of five linebackers in the league.

Not to say that Parys is an elite talent, but the guy is solid when healthy and at least on the same plane as Ahmad Brooks in my opinion when it comes to production value. Having those fresh, extremely fresh, legs and a highly motivated veteran player spelling the starting four will be a huge boost for that front seven.

Really glad they got this guy back and he's showing the same motor he had coming out of Tennessee .
Good they need him and really missed him last year. Hope they working with Aldon on his run defense at the point of attack. He can come and give either buy a break and not miss a beat
I like Haralson in a backup/swing OLB role. We did miss dis guy last year in this role and on ST. I also hope Flemeing can transition to ILB then Moody can be a backup at both ILB and OLB. We'd be stacked here with arguably the best LB group in NFL..
Great to hear...this is his last chance (already restructured his contract) and he's got Lemonier, Fleming and Johnson pushing him. He's still a one-trick pony Lawson-style. Zero pass rush ability (may have a game here or there) but will disappear the rest of the year. We used him on pure run defense downs and then let Aldon rush the passer. So no pass rush from the WILL (THE pass rushing spot), can't drop in coverage (less important from the WILL) but good run defender? He'd be better served backing up Brooks at the SAM, IMHO. If Lemonier or Fleming/Johnson (I had Johnson in my 53) have ANY pass rush ability AND good run stuffing ability from either the SAM or WILL, my guess is that Haralson is gone. We already know what we have in him. What we need is a pass rusher with run stuffing ability in case either Brooks/Aldon go down, we'll have a FT starter-in-training.
I love talking about depth, as opposed to glaring needs.

Thank you, Balke; Thank you, Harbaugh.

My faith in football has been restored these past 2.5 years
I think we missed him alot more than we imagined.
Haralson was a key player in the run-defense rotation and his loss was felt late in the season. He makes me angry because of the open field tackles he seems prone to miss at bad times, but mentally and technique wise he is solid in the other areas. He's a low-grade starter, even if he's not a "great" player.

I like our OLB group of Aldon, Brooks, Lemonier, Haralson, and Fleming.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

We did...quick...who were our backups last year? This year? It's looking MUCH better with actual competition and players with real upside should Aldon/Brooks go down.
haralson has always been a good player. you're not gonna build your team around him obviously, but i doubt there is a 3-4 team in this league that wouldn't want him as a starter or at least a back up.
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
I love talking about depth, as opposed to glaring needs.

Thank you, Balke; Thank you, Harbaugh.

My faith in football has been restored these past 2.5 years

This

Does he just have one year left on his contract?

Hell, if he comes back strong we might be able to trade him and keep the younger guys to develop.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Does he just have one year left on his contract?

Hell, if he comes back strong we might be able to trade him and keep the younger guys to develop.

I think he was done with his previous contract and just signed a one-year low-dollar deal. I may be wrong on that.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

I agree, fans talk about what Haralson doesn't bring to the table. He's consistent and works within the scheme.
don't argue like 2 goats in a pepper patch

This was in 2011, this season he's a man on a mission.
Share 49ersWebzone