There are 164 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

*Strongside Pass Rush

Does anyone else on here think there was a problem with our weakside passrush? and do you see tank and lemoneir taking over for brooks and mcdonald this year? I think mcdonald and brooks are stout against the run but I think their pass rushing ability isn't the best*. The one play that sticks out in my mind is when russel wilson scrambled around for like 2 years and brooks kept falling all over the field.

Look I'm not on here to blast brooks or mcdonald like people on here do with whitner, which I don't understand cuz whitner is a good safety, not the best in coverage, but that's another topic. I'm just saying I think there was a reason we got tank high and I do think he will replace justin eventually, but I also think he will take over on 3rd down for ray mac immediately but maybe in the later part of the year supplant him altogether. Also think we traded up for lemonier for a reason. If we can get similar pressure from both sides of the ball then it will be a nightmare for opposing offenses, and with all these mobile qbs coming into the league I think it's essential.

My last thought is you guys need to lay of justin smith's nuts. Sorry I love justin's nuts just as much as the next guy lol but he doesn't deserve all this credit for aldon smith getting as many sacks as he does. You don't get 5.5 sacks in one game, 14 sacks your rookie year, and 19.5 sacks last year because of the player next to you. It's like saying reggie white had that many sacks because gilbert brown constantly got double teamed. GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE. and this isn't me knocking Justin cuz he is amazing.

Ok fire back, I'm ready for the heat.
[ Edited by JimDrinkAMiller on Jun 4, 2013 at 5:58 PM ]
Well, Ahmed Brooks has recorded 23.5 sacks over the last four seasons. That's not insignificant. It's 10 more than Julian Peterson recorded in his last four years with the team and lots of fans around here seem to think Peterson was an awesome sack-master. Let's keep in mind that players who get close to 20 sacks in a season are not very common, so comparing Brooks to Aldon Smith is not exactly fair. Aldon Smith is a truly amazing sack-man on the order of a Charles Haley or Fred Dean.
  • buck
  • Veteran
I maybe wrong but I think that Aldon Smith is our weak side pass rusher and Ahmad Brooks plays the strong side.

I do get these side things confused so I could be wrong.

edit: I checked the depth chart on ESPN. It appears, although I am never sure, that I was wrong.

edit: No. I was right Aldon and Justin are on the weak side; Brooks and McDonald line up against the strong side--the side with the TE.
[ Edited by buck on May 25, 2013 at 6:26 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Well, Ahmed Brooks has recorded 23.5 sacks over the last four seasons. That's not insignificant. It's 10 more than Julian Peterson recorded in his last four years with the team and lots of fans around here seem to think Peterson was an awesome sack-master. Let's keep in mind that players who get close to 20 sacks in a season are not very common, so comparing Brooks to Aldon Smith is not exactly fair. Aldon Smith is a truly amazing sack-man on the order of a Charles Haley or Fred Dean.

Well it's not insignificant, but I'm not impressed either. He had 6.5 sacks last year, and that's not very much. I realize that he is a better run stopper than a pass rusher, but I think he can be upgraded. So do you agree that our weakside passrush does need to be upgraded? or is it fine as is?
Brooks is important to our run defense and is a decent pass rusher. He's a 2'nd team all-pro, and we've got Lemonier to develop behind him. Not sure what else there is to do.
Originally posted by buck:
I maybe wrong but I think that Aldon Smith is our weak side pass rusher and Ahmad Brooks plays the strong side.

I do get these side things confused so I could be wrong.

edit: I checked the depth chart on ESPN. It appears, although I am never sure, that I was wrong.

It's tough because we move our guys around on defense so much.
Originally posted by JimDrinkAMiller:
Well it's not insignificant, but I'm not impressed either. He had 6.5 sacks last year, and that's not very much. I realize that he is a better run stopper than a pass rusher, but I think he can be upgraded. So do you agree that our weakside passrush does need to be upgraded? or is it fine as is?

A defense can ALWAYS use more sacks - no question about it. And if Lemonier proves to be an upgrade, that will be fantastic. But, I guess I'm more impressed with his sacks than you are, because there were only 10 other linebackers in the league with more sacks and a few of those guys were in the 7 to 8 sack range. And, Brooks, who is very big and fast, is really one of the best OLB's in the league at setting the edge and playing the run - you really can't think of many times last season when guys got by him on the outside. Look at Clay Matthews, for example. Yes, he got 11 sacks, 4.5 more than Brooks, but teams were running right at him all season and GB had a very bad defense. In the playoffs, the Niners ran right at him over and over - a team just can't do that against Ahmed Brooks. So, I think you have to look at his all around production as a linebacker. He plays on the same team with Aldon Smith and the two best ILB's in the league, so it's easy to forget that he could be the best linebacker on the team for any number of NFL franchises.
I think what the Niners have done is get bigger and deeper in the middle. When there is more push from the middle on Brooks' side, he'll get more sacks. And keep in mind that injuries to the Smiths were big - if those two had continued to be healthy through the season, the Niners would have ended up top five in sacks and they definitely would have won the SB. Also, nothing is "fine as is" unless it's perfect and perfection is just something people chase. So, "fine as is" is kind of a loaded concept. The question is can something get better and the answer is yes, but the way it gets better isn't always by changing a specific player.
The weak side rush consists of Aldon and Justin Smith. It was only a problem late in the year when both guys were playing with significant injuries. I think we'll be fine there.

Ahmad and McDonald are on the strong side, and they are still highly underrated IMO. They're never going to get huge sack numbers, but they do a great job of applying pressure. They're both well-rounded players.
Brooks is great and Harbaugh seems to agree with me, some of you guys have been on them Seahawks PEDs too long. Brooks doesn't blitz every play like Aldon but seems to come away with the clutch play when we need it most.
[ Edited by HarboutTHAT on May 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I think what the Niners have done is get bigger and deeper in the middle. When there is more push from the middle on Brooks' side, he'll get more sacks. And keep in mind that injuries to the Smiths were big - if those two had continued to be healthy through the season, the Niners would have ended up top five in sacks and they definitely would have won the SB. Also, nothing is "fine as is" unless it's perfect and perfection is just something people chase. So, "fine as is" is kind of a loaded concept. The question is can something get better and the answer is yes, but the way it gets better isn't always by changing a specific player.

when I say fine as is I mean do you think there needs to be a change at the position from last season. Sorry I guess I need to clarify that, because IMO brooks and mcdonald aren't fine AS IS. So your saying the packers threw all that money at a guy that cannot stop the run? you act like brooks is the best olb run stopper in the league. I've seen guys juke him out or run around him and even run him over at times. When I think of a dominant olb I think of a demarcus ware. A guy that can do everything, and brooks is not that guy. Neither is aldon smith but I can see aldon smith being that guy, just not brooks.
also how exacly did we get bigger in the middle? tank is smaller than mcdonald and dorsey if he is the starter is smaller than soap was.
Statistics aren't just some magical thing that gets spit out based on a player's ability.

For example, let's say you have three Reggie White's and one Justin Smith on a line. Justin Smith might get to the quarterback a step behind one of the Reggie Whites; he'll never quite get there before a White does, because he's a step slower. So he finishes with 1.5 sacks on the year, and all the Whites pick up the rest of the sack numbers. Does this mean Justin Smith is a "1.5 sack a year guy"? That would be completely wrong.

If Brooks played in Aldon's spot and there was no Aldon or J Smith on the team, he would pick up much better numbers, but our defense would not be as good.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Statistics aren't just some magical thing that gets spit out based on a player's ability.

For example, let's say you have three Reggie White's and one Justin Smith on a line. Justin Smith might get to the quarterback a step behind one of the Reggie Whites; he'll never quite get there before a White does, because he's a step slower. So he finishes with 1.5 sacks on the year, and all the Whites pick up the rest of the sack numbers. Does this mean Justin Smith is a "1.5 sack a year guy"? That would be completely wrong.

If Brooks played in Aldon's spot and there was no Aldon or J Smith on the team, he would pick up much better numbers, but our defense would not be as good.

wait so stats arent magic? lol that's news to me... and if I had 3 reggie whites and 1 justin smith on my d line and I wanted to make my d line better than can you guess who I would replace? that's basically what we have in willis bowman and smith is 3 reggie whites... just at linebacker not d line. and if justin smith got 1.5 sacks every year because everyone on the line was better at getting to the qb than yes he would be a 1.5 sack player every year lol
The 49ers don't have a problem other than a lack of proven depth to keep the front 7 fresh.