There are 57 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Secondary is Niners X factor this year

With Goldson leaving an already subpar secondary we look at offseason moves and added draft picks for improvements.
The thing is I am not seeing any. We have Eric Ried who will take Goldson's spot at FS and hopefully will be able to learn fast and be an instant starter as I would hate to see Craig Dahl start as he is Rams leftovers and is not a starter in the NfL. So if Reid can come in and start day one I would feel better about losing goldson.

Our SS Whitner is really average at best and I have no idea how he made the pro bowl to be honest. I hope he can improve on his coverage As he is great against the run.

Our CB's are not as bad as everyone thinks. Culliver, Brown and Rogers are actually pretty good and with the exception of Rogers, Brown and Culliver are young and have very high ceilings going forward. Brown is our best CB followed by Culliver and then Rogers. Rogers did not have a great year this past season but is still an above average slot corner who can give us one more productive year. We added eagles bust Nnamdi who can still play I hope but if not it will become evident and he wont make the team. I think Culliver and Brown will have great years and with the addition of Defensive players who can rush the passer there will be less pressure on the entire secondary,
"Eagles bust"? How about Raiders All Pro? How about three times Pro Bowl?

The reasons he didn't succeed in Philadelphia have been quite widely discussed elsewhere.
Typical offseason post. Let's wait to see how it plays out. Harbaugh and Baalke have forgotten more about football than we will ever know. I will give them the benefit of the doubt here. What I will say is it seems like we have bolstered the pass rush, and that will make any secondary better.
Our D will be back in the #1 spot if we can stay healthy. This roster is LOADED!!!!!!
You're also forgetting that Baalke has acquired what looks to be a very good rotation of pass rushers. The Smith brothers,Brooks,Carradine and Lemonier. We should be able to keep guys fresh and have constant pressure on opposing QB's. If a team wants to throw the ball 35 to 50 times in a game the QB is going to take a pounding.
[ Edited by SanFranFanfrmVa on May 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM ]
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
You're also forgetting that Baalke has acquired what looks to be a very good rotation of pass rushers. The Smith brothers,Brooks,Carradine and Lemonier. We should be able to keep guys fresh and have constant pressure on opposing QB's. If a team wants to throw the ball 35 to 50 times in a game the QB is going to take a pounding.
Yeah, they're supporting the secondary through the pass rush. The secondary does have some question marks, but I think we'll be OK. Brown and culliver are solid. Hopefully Rodgers picks it up. I think Nnamdi it going to do really well. He can lock up on the opposing teams larger receivers like Cully, used to. In this scenario, Brown could be shifted to the slot. He's smaller and quicker.
You can also say WR as well. After this season with Crabtree going in his contract year Manningham, Boldin, and Williams contracts will be up. We will have Crabtree, Jenkins, and Patton under contract. Depending on all their performance which players will be bumped down or resigned? There is a lot to prove this year at the WR position just as the CB.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:

+ harralson. Def loaded
Although I'm concerned that free agency may hurt them next year, I agree that the drop off at the end of the year and playoffs was attributable to Cowboy and Smith being hurt. With them healthy, hopefully Carradine, Haralson and Lemonier will be able to keep them fresher down the stretch.

I can't see Rogers or Nnamdi being around next year. I do hope Brown gets resigned, or they will have to get some help from free agency and the draft.
They were the top rated defense against the pass until both Smiths were injured. Let's not forget that. There are some if's but they're not as bad as people seem to think. My prediction is that Reid will actually be better in coverage than Goldson was and partly because he's a rookie, he won't be biting on play action and shooting up to the line the way Goldson did - he'll stay back, which will be a good thing. I think they'll spend a huge part of the off season practices working on Culliver's ability to find the ball in the air - for most of the season, he was actually tight in coverage - he just couldn't find the ball when it was coming down on long passes. He and T Brown are both still very fast. My sense is that they'll put Nnamdi on the biggest receiver on a given opposition and just have him press and harass the heck out of him all game. And, they've got a couple of later round guys who could be real surprises - let's remember that Richard Sherman was a fourth or fifth round pick.
Originally posted by ninergold:
I can't see Rogers or Nnamdi being around next year. I do hope Brown gets resigned, or they will have to get some help from free agency and the draft.

I don't think they'll be able to resign Brown because he'll command a big contract beyond their means. They need to keep Kaepernick, Iupati and at least make a play at keeping Crabtree. One of their lower round guys this year will step up and be a surprise - either that speedster or the larger guy, I forget their names now. They've got a certified burner who is about T Brown's size and a very fast taller guy who is about Sherman's size and they'll look to develop them this year.
As to the OP, yes, I have some major concerns about our secondary and I'm not sure if we fully addressed the issues.
  • Pass rush - No doubt Baalke feels with added pass rush and rotation in the front 7, the secondary will benefit (duh). That said, with a stronger back end, we'd get more "coverage sacks" too. So it works both ways. Did Baalke help the front 7 by improving the back end?
  • Scheme - quick, it's 3 and 3. How far off will our CB's play off? 5 or 10 yards? This is an issue b/c we don't have any burners who can recover on a poor first step and we don't have the physical CB's (minus Culliver) to play press...welcome Nnamdi.
  • Technique - I noticed a BIG difference from the previous year. Rogers got his big contract by breaking off routes with over-the-top coverage and undercutting WR routes. He didn't do that one time last year and it, to me, appeared we stayed with the theme of keeping everything in front of them (very few challenges) but worse, the CB's didn't play the ball until it reached the WR's; in short, they didn't keep an eye on the QB and didn't use their experience to jump balls . As a result, our TO's went WAY down. For a microcasm of this issue, watch how differently the CB's for the Ravens played vs. ours. Polar opposite. This is a combination of scheme and technique. Also, as noted on NFL Network, our S's got so used to playing so deep and down hill, they were VERY susceptible to double moves and even blown coverages (even as last as the freaking Superbowl).
  • Whitner - let's be real, we love this dude and he is SO well spoken, he'll have a long career as a commentator. He's a leader and helps relay the defensive plays. He is excellent playing down hill and in the box. The problem is he is short, has no vertical and is even slower now. He was destroyed for 14 TD's alone last year and most were on bigger, taller, more physical slot WR's and TE's. This is STILL a huge glaring weakness. Unless the FO feels Dahl can step in and give up less (possible), we still have no answer for this and teams will continue to exploit him.
  • Rogers - dude got paid and IMHO, half-asses it all last year. Once he got burned and the spot light was on him, then he'd play harder. But the fact is, when we needed him most (3rd down against Boldin), he failed. Baalke has noted he wants to get taller, strong, more physical at CB (ala Seattle). Rogers, his half-ass attitude and his contract don't align. Nnamdi was brought in to not only fit that mold but push Rogers ass! Again, welcome Nnamdi!
  • Nnamdi - already stated he fits the Baalke ideal now (see also, Marcus Cooper)
  • Reid for Goldson - upside is even higher than Goldson and he's already smarter than him. Fingers crossed here he develops and develops quickly.
  • Slot CB - Amendola (with one collar bone) destroyed us last year. Welker did OK. But now we face Austin and Harvin and maybe more. Aside from the size, quickness and speed of Darryl Morris, do we really have anyone who can seriously fit this role to a T?
[ Edited by NCommand on May 19, 2013 at 8:50 AM ]
Darryl Morris is incredibly quick and fast. And, he's the right size to cover Austin and Harvin. Un-fricking-believable quickness: 10yard dash - 1.48 sec. (!) 20 yards - 2.5 sec. and a low 40 on his pro day of 4.29. He might be the surprise of the off-season as an answer to Harvin and Austin.
Originally posted by English:
"Eagles bust"? How about Raiders All Pro? How about three times Pro Bowl?

The reasons he didn't succeed in Philadelphia have been quite widely discussed elsewhere.

I agree! I believe me might be a better secondary!
I believe with added pass rush rotation we should be ok in secondary. No team can fill every area of need with pro bowl caliber players. Balke has team set up again with extra picks in next years draft . Niners have about as stacked a team as possible in today's market.