LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 219 users in the forums

Superbowl Run and Skill Positions That Are Up For Grabs

Shop Find 49ers gear online
For a team expected to make a run for the Superbowl there are various VITAL positions absolutely open and the best player is going to win it. Nothing is being handed to anyone for these positions.

Who do you think wins those spots?

OFFENSE

#2 Running Back
#1 Fullback
#2 Tight End
#3 Receiver

DEFENSE

#3 Defensive Lineman
#4 Defensive Lineman
#3 Cornerback
#1 Safety

SPECIAL TEAMS

Kickoff Returner
Punt Returner

Don't think for a second any of those spots are locked.

Make your predictions. Call it!
OFFENSE
#2 Running Back: Kendall Hunter
#1 Fullback: Bruce Miller (DUH)
#2 Tight End: Vance McDonald
#3 Receiver: AJ Jenkins

DEFENSE
#3 Defensive Lineman: Tank Caraddine
#4 Defensive Lineman: Ian Williams
#3 Cornerback:Asomugha
#1 Safety: Eric Reed

SPECIAL TEAMS
Kickoff Returner: LaMike
Punt Returner: LaMike
For me the great issues that need to be addressed for our next superbowl run are the following:
1. Kapearnick needs to learn how to put touch on the ball. It is good to blow someone away with a hard throw but it seemed to me that we lost at least two touchdowns in the superbowl because Kap threw it too hard at too close of range. In addition Kap has to learn how to throw the long ball so that he is in tune with his receivers. And then Kap needs to have more experience reading defenses. All of these will be his next levels of maturity as a starting QB.

2. To go along with number 1 we need a receiver who can get open for the long ball and track it when it is thrown. Hopefully Jenkins, Lockette, and or Davis will develop that consistency with Kap. Along with this one will be Kaps comfort and trust level with his receivers and can find them consistently.

3. We have the players now we need to develop a good defensive rotation for the line men and the OLBs.

4. We need the center position solidified. Hopefully Looney/Kilgore can develop as a quality center or Goodwin can give us another year of service.

5. I think we need the next level of development from Culliver as a CB. I would like to see Culliver become a lockdown corner and become a leader. Hopefully we can get someone who can cover the slot receivers.

6. Special teams play especially punt returner will give us some quality play. I would like to see 2-4 touchdowns in the season from the punt returner as well as consistently good field position.

7. I also want to see consistent pass rush from both Smiths. I would like to see 10 sacks from Aldon Smith that were not primarily set up by Cowboy. I would like to see more sacks for the front seven and see A. Smith being a consistent pass rusher. To not get any sacks in the last 5 games would indicate injury and hopefully his shoulder surgery will work out. And I hope that Mcs year improves and well as Brooks getting ten and Carradine and Lemonier getting five apiece.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
For me the great issues that need to be addressed for our next superbowl run are the following:
1. Kapearnick needs to learn how to put touch on the ball. It is good to blow someone away with a hard throw but it seemed to me that we lost at least two touchdowns in the superbowl because Kap threw it too hard at too close of range. In addition Kap has to learn how to throw the long ball so that he is in tune with his receivers. And then Kap needs to have more experience reading defenses. All of these will be his next levels of maturity as a starting QB.

2. To go along with number 1 we need a receiver who can get open for the long ball and track it when it is thrown. Hopefully Jenkins, Lockette, and or Davis will develop that consistency with Kap. Along with this one will be Kaps comfort and trust level with his receivers and can find them consistently.

3. We have the players now we need to develop a good defensive rotation for the line men and the OLBs.

4. We need the center position solidified. Hopefully Looney/Kilgore can develop as a quality center or Goodwin can give us another year of service.

5. I think we need the next level of development from Culliver as a CB. I would like to see Culliver become a lockdown corner and become a leader. Hopefully we can get someone who can cover the slot receivers.

6. Special teams play especially punt returner will give us some quality play. I would like to see 2-4 touchdowns in the season from the punt returner as well as consistently good field position.

7. I also want to see consistent pass rush from both Smiths. I would like to see 10 sacks from Aldon Smith that were not primarily set up by Cowboy. I would like to see more sacks for the front seven and see A. Smith being a consistent pass rusher. To not get any sacks in the last 5 games would indicate injury and hopefully his shoulder surgery will work out. And I hope that Mcs year improves and well as Brooks getting ten and Carradine and Lemonier getting five apiece.

This is in response to #7. I have seen Aldon completely go through tackles at times as if they aren't even there. Justin Smith helps out Aldon's Smith's game, but I think people are beginning to overrate how much help he gets from Cowboy. It's not like every OLB playing behind Smith was putting up All-Pro sack numbers.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
This is in response to #7. I have seen Aldon completely go through tackles at times as if they aren't even there. Justin Smith helps out Aldon's Smith's game, but I think people are beginning to overrate how much help he gets from Cowboy. It's not like every OLB playing behind Smith was putting up All-Pro sack numbers.

I couldn't agree more The Niners were much more vocal about Justin Smith's injury and that sprouted this ridiculous misconception. Our lines are stacked on both sides of the ball. The full presence of 94 would boost any linebacker's game. Aldon isn't going to disappear once Justin retires. We simply had the misfortune of strolling into that playoff series with a pair of unlikely key injuries. Flacco was wrongfully awarded MVP honors for throwing a series of Hail Mary passes under zero pressure. I hope our draftees pan out because we need some serious depth on defense if we want to play like a 1980's squad.
Originally posted by SFATeflonDon:
OFFENSE
#2 Running Back: Kendall Hunter
#1 Fullback: Bruce Miller (DUH)
#2 Tight End: Vance McDonald
#3 Receiver: AJ Jenkins

DEFENSE
#3 Defensive Lineman: Tank Caraddine
#4 Defensive Lineman: Ian Williams
#3 Cornerback:Asomugha
#1 Safety: Eric Reed

SPECIAL TEAMS
Kickoff Returner: LaMike
Punt Returner: LaMike

The only thing I don't agree with is #3 receiver. I'd love it if u ended up being right but I think Kyle Williams is going to take that spot, along with punt returner.
Share 49ersWebzone