There are 280 users in the forums

SEA vs. SF - Most talented???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So, it's funny to me that we were largely regarded as having the best, top to bottom roster in the league last year. Then, all of the sudden, many of the same folks are regarding the Seahawks as having the best all around roster in the league. I understand that SEA made some pretty big FA moves in the offseason, but when you take the position groups in a comparison, it's hard for me to see how they have become a more talented roster.

QB - (DRAW) - This year should really show that both of these guys are no joke, and should offer some idea of who has the upper hand.
RB - (SEA) - As much as it pains me, I'll give this to SEA only because of Beast Mode, though I think our depth is superior to theirs by far.
WR - (SEA) - WIthout the Harvin deal, this would have gone to us, but I think he offers the mystery right now that gives them the edge.
TE - (SF) - Davis and McDonald are a far better tandem than anything they can hope to put on the field.
OL - (SF) - No debate. We have one of, if not the, best O-lines in the league. SEA is mediocre.
DL - (DRAW) - Before the FA frenzy SEA had with Avril and Co., I would have given this to us. I'll call it a draw because our DL is still one of the tops in the league.
LB - (SF) - Not even a comparison. Our LBs are the best in the league. SEA, not so much.
Secondary - (SEA) - I like our guys, but SEA does have the best all around secondary in the league.
K - (Draw) - They've got the youth, but we've got the experience.
P - (SF) - Lee is still tops in the league.

So I bolded the areas where I think SF and SEA are best in the league. It certainly stands that these are probably the two most talented rosters in the league, from top to bottom, but am I wrong to wonder how anyone can say SEA is more talented than us? Let's not forget that 3 of SEAs wins last season were last second Hail Mary-type endings (GB, NE, CHI). They EASILY could have been 8-8 last year. Does that really scream "Most Talented"?

Not that it really matters, because the games between these two teams this year are gonna be great.
I think most experts would still consider SF to be the best overall. SeaHags should be in the conversation. It isn't like they sucked in 2011 and got lucky 11 times in 2012. While they could have been 8-8, they also were close to being 13-3 and that is no joke. They will be tight with us this season, it is going to be very important to take care of business outside the division, which I think we will do. Sure, the Hags have talent and that looks like a solid comparison list to me. SF has the big advantage at TE, OL, P and LB'er making up about half of the starting unit when you think about it. Our secondary is light years behind theirs and I do have to give a slight edge to their RB. They had no one person with 1000 yards at WR, but they had 3 with good numbers, as a unit, they might have a slight advantage also.
Thank you for agreeing with everything I said. Apparently, if me and you ever had a debate, we would constantly say "You got that right!" and then high-five each other.
Seattle has a lot of work to do, they lost to what mia det stl ariz and gb sorry but that was a horrible call. They are not good on the road. Squeezed out a win vs new england and chi so they do have a talented roster but the ni ers are the better team by quite a bit
Originally posted by VANiner:
So, it's funny to me that we were largely regarded as having the best, top to bottom roster in the league last year. Then, all of the sudden, many of the same folks are regarding the Seahawks as having the best all around roster in the league. I understand that SEA made some pretty big FA moves in the offseason, but when you take the position groups in a comparison, it's hard for me to see how they have become a more talented roster.

QB - (DRAW) - This year should really show that both of these guys are no joke, and should offer some idea of who has the upper hand.
RB - (SEA) - As much as it pains me, I'll give this to SEA only because of Beast Mode, though I think our depth is superior to theirs by far.
WR - (SEA) - WIthout the Harvin deal, this would have gone to us, but I think he offers the mystery right now that gives them the edge.
TE - (SF) - Davis and McDonald are a far better tandem than anything they can hope to put on the field.
OL - (SF) - No debate. We have one of, if not the, best O-lines in the league. SEA is mediocre.
DL - (DRAW) - Before the FA frenzy SEA had with Avril and Co., I would have given this to us. I'll call it a draw because our DL is still one of the tops in the league.
LB - (SF) - Not even a comparison. Our LBs are the best in the league. SEA, not so much.
Secondary - (SEA) - I like our guys, but SEA does have the best all around secondary in the league.

So I bolded the areas where I think SF and SEA are best in the league. It certainly stands that these are probably the two most talented rosters in the league, from top to bottom, but am I wrong to wonder how anyone can say SEA is more talented than us? Let's not forget that 3 of SEAs wins last season were last second Hail Mary-type endings (GB, NE, CHI). They EASILY could have been 8-8 last year. Does that really scream "Most Talented"?

Not that it really matters, because the games between these two teams this year are gonna be great.

No way Seattle has better receivers. Nobody on their roster is as good as Crabtree, and that definitely includes Harvin. So, if you're gonna give Seattle the edge on RBs because Lynch is the best of the bunch even though our depth is far superior, you need to consider that Crabtree is better than Harvin and nobody else Seattle has is better than Boldin.

In the 10 games Kaep was his QB, Crabtree was a top 5 WR. He passed the eye test and for the stats buffs, his numbers prove it. Harvin is flashier and came on very strong at the beginning of the season, but Crabtree finished the season like an elite receiver.
Gore+Hunter+LMJ+Dixon+Lattimore > Lynch, Turbin, Christine = IMO
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by VANiner:

No way Seattle has better receivers. Nobody on their roster is as good as Crabtree, and that definitely includes Harvin. So, if you're gonna give Seattle the edge on RBs because Lynch is the best of the bunch even though our depth is far superior, you need to consider that Crabtree is better than Harvin and nobody else Seattle has is better than Boldin.

In the 10 games Kaep was his QB, Crabtree was a top 5 WR. He passed the eye test and for the stats buffs, his numbers prove it. Harvin is flashier and came on very strong at the beginning of the season, but Crabtree finished the season like an elite receiver.
Also think he was kind to Seattles Dline. I believe our line to be superior.

We have superior depth. He have superior coaching. We are about equal in talent evaluation for our specific teams.

Overall SF is the superior team and it will be proven yet again this season.

The experts all said the Niners would regress after a break out season as we transitioned from the hunters to the hunted. We got every teams best effort week in and week out and went to the SB. Lets see how Seattle responds before crowning their asses. Lets see how they respond when everything doesn't go their way. They got a LOT of gifts last season.
I don't think quarterback is a draw. I'd rather have Kaepernick any day. And, I don't think DL is a draw. What's the deal with everyone going bat-crazy over Cliff Avril. Was it his stirring, no-sack, no tackle performance against the Niners last year? Or was it his incredible no-sack, 2 tackle performance the year before. Maybe he performs well sometimes, but he hasn't done squat against the Niner offensive line. Zilch. Nada.
I think you're being too nice to Seattle.

QB: Kaep > Wilson
Rb: Gore + LMJ + Hunter > Lynch + whoever
TE: VD over Miller in a heart beat
WR: Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham > Harvin, Rice, Tate. Maybe draw but I like our receivers better
OL: Ours in a heart beat

Front 7: easily ours
CB: I'll give that too them
Safety: Seattle, Reid is a ? right now

Kicker: Dawson is one of the best in the league
Punter: Lee is a boss
Kr/pr: ? (who cares)
The only thing Seattle has on us is their secondary. everywhere else we are far superior.

49ers are the most deep team talent wise in the league right now and its not really even close.

I think their clearest advantage is DBs, and I'd give them the edge in the RB and WR department.
I don't get why anyone would think their RBs are better than ours. Frank Gore is as good as Lynch, if not better...and our depth with Hunter, LMJ, Dixon, and whoever else tramples theirs.
Originally posted by dhp318:
I think their clearest advantage is DBs, and I'd give them the edge in the RB and WR department.

Why? Gore has been a top back, so even though Lynch is better, it isn't by much. After that, our rotational guys own their backups.

I already explained the WR thing. There's just no way to say they have the advantage. We have the best WR on either squad, and their number 1 is barely better than our #2, IF he is even better at all. Boldin definitely owns Rice. And Manningham is better than Tate. Where exactly does anyone see a tie or advantage for Seattle there? Come on.
  • Bodhi
  • Veteran
People are hyped about Harvin but he has health issues and he's never had a 1000 yard season
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
This article may help, I thought it was quite a fair assessment :

Updated NFC West roster rankingsPosted on May 9, 2013 by Grant Cohn

Here is an updated version of my NFC West roster rankings. In this version I grade each position group on a 1-100 scale, and then I average each team's scores to come up with a final ranking.

If you have any questions about my rankings, please write them in the comment section and I will do my best to respond.

As always, I urge you to submit your own rankings.

QUARTERBACK

1. 49ers: Colin Kaepernick, Colt McCoy, Scott Tolzien, B.J. Daniels. Score: 95

2. Seahawks: Russell Wilson, Brady Quinn, Josh Portis, Jerrod Johnson. Score: 94

3. Rams: Sam Bradford, Kellen Clemens, Austin Davis. Score: 88

4. Cardinals: Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Lindley. Score: 84

OFFENSIVE LINE

1. 49ers: Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Jonathan Goodwin, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis. Score: 96

2. Seahawks: Russell Okung, James Carpenter, Max Unger, Paul McQuistan, Breno Giacomini. Score: 84

3. Rams: Jake Long, Shelley Smith, Scott Wells, Harvey Dahl, Roger Saffold. Score: 83

4. Cardinals: Levi Brown, Jonathan Cooper, Lyle Sendlein, Daryn Colledge, Bobby Massie. Score: 70

RUNNING BACK

1. Seahawks: Marshawn Lynch, Robert Turbin, Christine Michael, Spencer Ware. Score: 97

2. 49ers: Frank Gore, LaMichael James, Kendall Hunter, Marcus Lattimore. Score: 90

3. Rams: Daryl Richardson, Isaiah Pead, Zac Stacy, Terrance Gannaway. Score: 81

4. Cardinals: Rashard Mendenhall, Ryan Williams, Stepfan Taylor, Andre Ellington. Score: 74

WIDE RECEIVER

1. Seahawks: Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Chris Harper. Score: 94

2. Cardinals: Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd, Ryan Swope, Andre Roberts, LaRon Byrd. Score: 86

3. Rams: Tavon Austin, Chris Givens, Stedman Bailey, Brian Quick, Austin Pettis. Score: 85

4. 49ers: Michael Crabtree, Anquan Boldin, Quinton Patton, Kyle Williams, A.J. Jenkins. Score: 84

TIGHT END

1. 49ers: Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, Cameron Morrah. Score: 90

2. Seahawks: Zach Miller, Anthony McCoy, Luke Willson, Sean McGrath. Score: 87

3. Rams: Jared Cook, Lance Kendricks, Cory Harkey, Mike McNeill. Score: 85

4. Cardinals: Jeff King, Rob Housler, Jim Dray, DC Jefferson. Score: 72

BASE FRONT

1. 49ers: Aldon Smith (or Parys Haralson), Justin Smith, Glenn Dorsey, Ray McDonald. Score: 91

2. Seahawks: Cliff Avril, Brandon Mebane, Tony McDaniel, Red Bryant. Score: 81

3. Cardinals: Sam Acho, Darnell Dockett, Dan Williams, Calais Campbell. Score: 80

4. Rams: Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Chris Long. Score: 79

NICKEL FRONT

1. Seahawks: Cliff Avril, Brandon Mebane, Michael Bennett, Bruce Irvin. Score: 93

2. Rams: Robert Quinn, Michael Brockers, Kendall Langford, Chris Long. Score: 92

3. 49ers: Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks. Score: 89

4. Cardinals: Sam Acho, Darnell Dockett, Calais Campbell, Alex Okafor. Score: 75

LINEBACKERS

1. 49ers: NaVorro Bowman, Patrick Willis, Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier. Score: 98

2. Seahawks: Malcolm Smith, Bobby Wagner, K.J. Wright. Score: 88

3. Rams: Jo-Lonn Dunbar, James Laurinaitis, Alec Ogletree. Score: 84

4. Cardinals: Kevin Minter, Daryl Washington, Lorenzo Alexander. Score: 82

SAFETIES

1. Seahawks: Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor. Score: 95

2. 49ers: Eric Reid, Donte Whitner. Score: 80.

3. Rams: T.J. McDonald, Darian Stewart. Score: 72

4. Cardinals: Yeremiah Bell, Rashad Johnson. Score: 70

CORNERBACKS

1. Seahawks: Richard Sherman, Brandon Browner, Antoine Winfield, Tharold Simon. Score: 97

2. Cardinals: Patrick Peterson, Antoine Cason, Tyrann Mathieu, Jerraud Powers. Score: 85

3. Rams: Cortland Finnegan, Janoris Jenkins, Brandon McGee, Trumaine Johnson. Score: 84.

4. 49ers: Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown, Chris Culliver, Nnamdi Asomugha. Score: 72.

SPECIAL TEAMS

1. Rams: Greg Zuerlein, Johnny Hekker, Tavon Austin, Chris Givens. Score: 94

2. Seahawks: Steven Hauschka, Jon Ryan, Percy Harvin, Christine Michael. Score: 93

3. Cardinals: Jay Feely, Dave Zastudil, Patrick Peterson, Tyrann Mathieu. Score: 85

4. 49ers: Phil Dawson, Andy Lee, LaMichael James, Kyle Williams. Score: 84

TEAM AVERAGES:

1. Seahawks: 91

2. 49ers: 88

3. Rams: 84

4. Cardinals: 78
Share 49ersWebzone