LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 308 users in the forums

Position group discussion: Quarterback

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The theme of these unit break downs is pretty clear. Most of the starters are entrenched, so the real competition is at the backup spot. That is the case here.

Locks: Colin Kaepernick

Competition: Scott Tolzien, Colt McCoy

Wild Cards: B.J. Daniels, Marquies Gray, Nate Montana

Outlook: Kaepernick has planted himself firmly in the discussion of the best young players in the game. After an historic rise to prominence, the future looks very bright. The biggest concern seems to be that his style of play may lead to a higher risk of injury which makes his backup that more important. It looks like McCoy and Tolzien are the front runners for the #2 spot with the early edge going to McCoy due to his experience. The dark horse is Daniels. He has a skill set that is the most similar to Kaepernick and he will also have a chance to prove his worth as a punt returner, wide receiver, or just the SAK position. He seems like an ideal candidate for the #3 spot, but to have him active on game days means that another position has to sit a guy. That might mean that he has a real shot at being the #2. It will all depend on his accuracy as a passer. Gray is not known for his accuracy, but you know Harbaugh will give him a chance to throw the ball around. Who knows what might come of that chance? Still further down the list is Montana. Again, who knows what could happen? Still, my guess is that McCoy will beat out Tolzien for the #2. After that it will be up to Daniels. I doubt he makes the team as a passer alone. He will have to show that he can be a dynamic play maker from multiple positions.
so many discussions ..i need a place to discuss the discussions
I don't think Kaepernick is more susceptible to injury than any other quarterback. He only runs if the opening is there and he's had plenty of games where he barely ran at all. He's built like a beast and he's very smart about sliding and running out of bounds. In fact, if you watch the plays where he runs most of the time he barely gets touched if at all.

With that being said, it would be nice to have a solid second stringer incase he does get hurt.
Tolzien vs McCoy is the pre season battle I cant wait to see

We need to find a way to keep Marquies Gray on the roster ...he has freakish physical skills and could be a swiss army knife for us ( TE, H-Back , emergency QB and HB)
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Tolzien vs McCoy is the pre season battle I cant wait to see

We need to find a way to keep Marquies Gray on the roster ...he has freakish physical skills and could be a swiss army knife for us ( TE, H-Back , emergency QB and HB)

Yeah, I would love to see one of them just ball the hell out during the preseason.
Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper:
I don't think Kaepernick is more susceptible to injury than any other quarterback. He only runs if the opening is there and he's had plenty of games where he barely ran at all. He's built like a beast and he's very smart about sliding and running out of bounds. In fact, if you watch the plays where he runs most of the time he barely gets touched if at all.

With that being said, it would be nice to have a solid second stringer incase he does get hurt.

you could argue that his movement skills can also get him out of scanarios where he could get hurt...how many times have we seen an immobile qb stuck in the pocket take a hard hit because they couldnt get out of the way
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
so many discussions ..i need a place to discuss the discussions
half of NT is position discussions

annoying, tbh
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Move Tolzien to safety
Originally posted by Tman:
Move Tolzien to safety
what happened to Alex? Did I miss something?

Originally posted by shaneblonien:

He was transfered to K.C.(quarterback Siberia)
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Tolzien vs. McCoy is gonna be fun to watch. In all honesty though, I'd rather see what Tolzien can do in a real game before McCoy does. We already seen what McCoy has tooffer, sure he might be much different now hes with the 9ers, but we also gotta find out if Tolzien is a capable back up and could be another for trade. Would be nice if Tolzien turned out to be another Matt Flynn, Kevin Kolb or Matt Schaub even.
The intriguing thing about Daniels and Gray is that they don't even have to be listed as a "3rd QB"... They can make the roster at another position needing depth (ST kick returner for example, as Ted Ginn was) and still act as the 3rd QB in case of injury, and thus, free up a roster spot for another DB, RB, WR or DLman.

My best guess, however, is that both likely need a tremendous amount of coaching up just to qualify for the 3rd QB gig. So, that means the more impressive of the two probably makes it onto the PS and the other gets cut.

That means that Tolzien, who is better than many of you are giving him credit for, likely gets the gig. He knows the offense inside and out and is, by all accounts, incredibly hard-working and competitive. I don't know if he has long arms, but if he does, watch out!

That PS is probably going to be one of the most competitive lists in team history, perhaps even league history.

Cheers!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by shaneblonien:

So far?

Plus the Titan's third rounder and KC's second or third rounder next year. Oh, and I suppose you could add the Titan's seventh round pick that we traded to the Packers to move up in the third round and select Corey Lemonade.

Alex Smith... the gift that keeps on giving.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
The intriguing thing about Daniels and Gray is that they don't even have to be listed as a "3rd QB"... They can make the roster at another position needing depth (ST kick returner for example, as Ted Ginn was) and still act as the 3rd QB in case of injury, and thus, free up a roster spot for another DB, RB, WR or DLman.

My best guess, however, is that both likely need a tremendous amount of coaching up just to qualify for the 3rd QB gig. So, that means the more impressive of the two probably makes it onto the PS and the other gets cut.

That means that Tolzien, who is better than many of you are giving him credit for, likely gets the gig. He knows the offense inside and out and is, by all accounts, incredibly hard-working and competitive. I don't know if he has long arms, but if he does, watch out!

That PS is probably going to be one of the most competitive lists in team history, perhaps even league history.

Cheers!

30 1/2 inches.

10 inch hands, though.
Share 49ersWebzone