LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 331 users in the forums

Position group discussion: Safeties

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Big changes to this group raise questions about roles and the future. Goldson is out and Reid is in, if he can beat out Dahl. The lack of experience in this group is troubling, but the potential is there. Depth will be a problem the team will have to address in the next few off seasons.

Roster spots: 4-5

Locks: Eric Reid, Donte Whitner, Craig Dahl, C.J. Spill man

Competition: Trenton Robinson, Michael Thomas, Darcel McBath

Outlook: Reid's first hurdle as a pro will be to show that he is a better option than Dahl. Dahl might have a low ceiling, but he has experience on his side. Still, Reid's talent should win out by the end of camp. Then it should be he and Whitner paired up with Dahl and Spillman as special teams aces. Dahl and Spillman are definitely valuable on STs, but they are probably the biggest drop off between starters and reserves besides ILB. The real decision will be whether they keep a 5th safety or a 6th CB. If they keep a 5th safety, my money is on Thomas. Robinson has potential but he was clearly overmatched on special teams last year. Thomas has better size and probably a higher ceiling. Robinson and Thomas will compete with Cox and Brock to see who adds more to the special teams. It's likely that only two of them will make the team.
Besides Whitner everybody else is a question mark. So it's really hard to call til we see them on the field. And Reid doesn't have any hurdles b/c Dahl is garbage.
I am prepared to be disapointed.
Safeties can often get up to speed rather quickly compared to other positions on the defense. I expect he'll blow a few coverages which will result in some big plays...so remind me again how that is different from last year?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Noob
jesus christ

Originally posted by Ballistic:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Noob
jesus christ

I wanted to focus my roster ideas on units. I'm sorry if my thread creation was a problem. Feel free to ask the mods to delete them if they make you suicidal.
I actually don't mind the threads. What can one expect during the offseason?

Now safety is probably the group with the most question marks. We have a lot of bodies and some talent. I'm hoping that Trenton Robinson can emerge. Spillman is good special teamer, but doesn't offer much as a safety. If Trenton Robinson can make the roster, we will at least have 2-3 guys (Reid, Robinson, and Dahl) that can bring something to the table at safety beyond 2013.
Share 49ersWebzone