There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Position group discussion: Offensive Line

This is arguably the strongest unit on this team. All five starters return as well as the top two backups on the interior. Snyder's return has been met with mixed feelings and the big question left to be sorted out is the swing tackle position. Even with that stability there may be a few surprises in this group.

Roster Spots: 8-9

Locks: Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney

Potential Cap Casualty: Jonathan Goodwin

Vets with something to prove: Adam Snyder, Al Netter, Kenny Wiggins

Young Guns: Carter Bykowski, Luke Marquardt, Wayne Tribute, Patrick Omameh, Sherman Carter

Outlook: The only starting spot that is jeopardy is Goodwin and that has less to do with performance and more to do with money and planning for the future. Goodwin is the oldest member of the unit by several years and his salary is also the highest. Kilgore and Looney have both been getting reps at Center and one of them may be poised to take over. The signing of Snyder might signal this move. He adds a veteran presence with experience at all five positions if an emergency should arise. Another guy I think has the potential to make some serious noise is Al Netter. He was highly regarded coming out of college, but there were some injury questions that appear to be answered after a season on the practice squad. He might be the answer at swing tackle. The other young guns are most likely battling for a spot on the practice squad. Marquardt has HUGE potential, Bykowski seems to be more polished, and Omameh has the intangibles and experience at a high level. The biggest question left is how many players to keep. If Goodwin stays I think the team goes with 8. Kilgore, Looney and Snyder would offer versatility for all spots on the line. For those of you that are worried about Snyder being the swing tackle, remember Books would slide over if Staley or Davis were to get hurt and Kilgore or Looney would go to RG. If Goodwin gets cut, it might make more sense to keep 9, if enough players step up. Even if that happens, I still see the team going with 8 to save a roster spot for WR or RB.
Good assesment..
ya, im very curious to what the niners are gonna do with goodwin this year. we have a superbowl team again, and to put in a "rookie" at C, could be very risky in those big playoff games. Kilgore, Looney, whoever they are trying out of C, should be given the chance to get a lot reps during TC and preseason, if one of them looks solid, i would probably cut Goodwin. but i don't think we can afford to take lets wait and see approach.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
ya, im very curious to what the niners are gonna do with goodwin this year. we have a superbowl team again, and to put in a "rookie" at C, could be very risky in those big playoff games. Kilgore, Looney, whoever they are trying out of C, should be given the chance to get a lot reps during TC and preseason, if one of them looks solid, i would probably cut Goodwin. but i don't think we can afford to take lets wait and see approach.

Yeah, that's about how I see it. However, these coaches have shown a willingness to trust players with little or no experience. I think players respond to that. Books was a huge qusstion mark last year and he developed well. Same with Culliver and Miller seeing extended playing time as rookies. The "jumbo" packages offer guys like Books and Kilgore a chance to see the field before they are pressed into action. If I were a betting man I would say Goodwin gets cut, Kilgore takes over and Looney becomes the "jumbo" guy.
I'm thinking Boone will blossom into a pro bowl RG this year
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I'm thinking Boone will blossom into a pro bowl RG this year

I think that Boone is already playing at a Pro Bowl level, even if he hasn't been to it.

From a purely selfish perspective, the longer he doesn't go (to the Pro Bowl), the better chance we have of signing him for a longer contract at a cheap rate.

* I think he has 2/3 more years on his current deal and at his age he will be in line for at least one (more than likey two) big pay day
Kilgore and Looney are locks? LOL
Originally posted by 9erReign:

Well, I see them as far enough ahead of the other backup interior linemen that they should be locks. Who is going to over take them without an injury?
I don't know if I would call Al Netter and Kenny Wiggins vets. I think they still qualify for rookie camp!
Good post.

I really like what our coaches did w/Boone and what he did with the coaching.

I think both Looney and Kilgore will be on the squad when we open the season.

I like Bykowski and Marquardt to be there as well.
Originally posted by Karma:

Well, I see them as far enough ahead of the other backup interior linemen that they should be locks. Who is going to over take them without an injury?

They may be in the lead. But a lock is someone guaranteed a roster spot. Looney, Kilgore, Snyder, Wiggins, Netter will battle it out to be backups. Whoever has the best preseason wins. But the guys you listed aren't locks. Goodwin is more of a lock than them.

They may be in the lead. But a lock is someone guaranteed a roster spot. Looney, Kilgore, Snyder, Wiggins, Netter will battle it out to be backups. Whoever has the best preseason wins. But the guys you listed aren't locks. Goodwin is more of a lock than them.

I can understand your point. In theory, no player is a "lock". However, Netter and Wiggins are trying to earn a spot as OTs and even if the coaches move them inside, I think the gap between them and Kilgore/Looney as OGs is too great. Anything can happen in training camp, but I considered the statistical likelihood of Looney and Kilgore being beaten out as neglible. All opinion.
Bottom line, the Niners are LOADED on the offensive line. If they can find a swing OT with game enough to let Alex Boone concentrate on being an OG, this group will be complete.
This is arguably the strongest unit on this team. All five starters return as well as the top two backups on the interior. Snyder's return has been met with mixed feelings and the big question left to be sorted out is the swing tackle position. Even with that stability there may be a few surprises in this group.

Roster Spots: 8-9

Locks: Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Daniel Kilgore, Joe Looney

Potential Cap Casualty: Jonathan Goodwin

Vets with something to prove: Adam Snyder, Al Netter, Kenny Wiggins

Young Guns: Carter Bykowski, Luke Marquardt, Wayne Tribute, Patrick Omameh, Sherman Carter

Outlook: The only starting spot that is jeopardy is Goodwin and that has less to do with performance and more to do with money and planning for the future. Goodwin is the oldest member of the unit by several years and his salary is also the highest. Kilgore and Looney have both been getting reps at Center and one of them may be poised to take over. The signing of Snyder might signal this move. He adds a veteran presence with experience at all five positions if an emergency should arise. Another guy I think has the potential to make some serious noise is Al Netter. He was highly regarded coming out of college, but there were some injury questions that appear to be answered after a season on the practice squad. He might be the answer at swing tackle. The other young guns are most likely battling for a spot on the practice squad. Marquardt has HUGE potential, Bykowski seems to be more polished, and Omameh has the intangibles and experience at a high level. The biggest question left is how many players to keep. If Goodwin stays I think the team goes with 8. Kilgore, Looney and Snyder would offer versatility for all spots on the line. For those of you that are worried about Snyder being the swing tackle, remember Books would slide over if Staley or Davis were to get hurt and Kilgore or Looney would go to RG. If Goodwin gets cut, it might make more sense to keep 9, if enough players step up. Even if that happens, I still see the team going with 8 to save a roster spot for WR or RB.

I think Goodwin stays. If they were thinking of replacing him I think they would have made the decision by now. They are in it to WIN it NOW! No untested player or rookie could withstand the onslaught of the NFC WEST pass rushers. Maybe next year Goodwin is replaced I think.
Agree w/kelpie70, Goodwin is here for the duration of his deal.