There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The gamble?

While I was following the draft coverage, I was very, very pleased with the picks that 49er management made, but there was one position I was puzzled by... Cornerback... No significant picks at this position, no speed added. I know that the team sighed Nnamdi Asomugha... I was reading this article by Cohn: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20130427/news/130429621, and found that I agreed with much of it.... Until

Last season the niner defense was awesome, and if I have my facts right they were better than they were in 2011 statically until Justin Smith got hurt. So if I am correct the niner management is gambling that IF they can keep the pressure on opposing QB's as long as their cornerbacks are acquitted they will be fine (hence loading up on Defensive linemen)..... But against this backdrop the niners did struggle with the rams in the two games they played...

I like the gamble but I a little nervous... ( would of liked to see at least one cornerback upgrade....)

In Baalke and Harbaugh I trust.
I saw Cohn harping on that... as has been stated many times, a good pass rush helps out a secondary more than anything else. After the Cowboy went down, our pass rush sucked. In turn, especially playing teams like Seattle, GB,etc, our secondary was exposed somewhat. I'm glad we drafted two pass rushers early.

But, I think we have a solid set of CBs. The underrated Tarell Brown, Rogers, Nnamdi and Culliver who played well except for the Superbowl. I still have faith in Cully. I don't see the panic others do regarding our CBs.
Our cornerbacks are not that bad. We just don't have elite talent, more like a collection of No. 2 CBs in Rogers, Brown, and Culliver. But I highly doubt the players we were in position to draft would be much better than those 3. If there was value, they would've taken a CB, I'm sure, but I don't think they considered CB position of dire need.
A juiced up pass rush will do the secondary wonders
Tarell Brown is most definitelly a #1 CB (he was rated #4 in the league for coverage by PFF), and despite a couple bad games towards the end, Culliver is good and has a lot of promise. It wasn't just Justin that was injured, it was Aldon also. That's like 75% of our pass rush. Our secondary is fine, and other than Whitner, we have a great backfield.
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 34m First 13 1/2 games, 49ers allowed 183 pass ypg and 74.6 opposing QB rating; after that, 300 ypg and 102.1. rating. http://bit.ly/ZXS1kq
You can not have elite talent all over your team. The rules prohibit it. DB is one of the highest paid positions on D league wide. I believe the Niners prefer to spend on the front 7 and maintain studs there while keeping adequate if unspectacular players at DB.
This was the Fangio draft. If you look at Fangio's defense in which he was a major part of since New Orleans. It's mostly about getting guys to put pressure up front. The secondary is just that -- secondary. His DBs are usually good to solid group. Not a star group. Fangio will put pressure up front to help out his secondary. It's a lot harder to find some of the best athlete to play in the secondary than to find pass rushers to play among the front 7.

The first thing that Fangio did when he got to the Niners was to tell Willis he needs to learn how to pass rush effectively without getting caught up.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 29, 2013 at 12:09 PM ]
Even without Nnamdi we still have one of the best 3 CB sets in the league. Maybe none are elite, but Rogers, Brown, and Cully are all solid. before the NE game we were near the top of the league in pass defense. Cowboy got injured and we went on to play against Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, Ryan and Flacco without much of a passrush.
field a better pass rush and your CBs will play better.
Originally posted by boast:

Cosigned.
Originally posted by boast:

firm believer in this but it also goes the other way around

(coverage sacks)
Originally posted by Disp:
Tarell Brown is most definitelly a #1 CB (he was rated #4 in the league for coverage by PFF), and despite a couple bad games towards the end, Culliver is good and has a lot of promise. It wasn't just Justin that was injured, it was Aldon also. That's like 75% of our pass rush. Our secondary is fine, and other than Whitner, we have a great backfield.

I logged in to ask you WTF are you talking about? T Brown a #1 CB? Really dude?
[ Edited by Puckdaddy on Apr 29, 2013 at 3:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:

Well TB was arguably the best overall CB on one of the best defenses in the league so yeah, not as big a stretch as you are making it out to be.
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by Puckdaddy:

Well TB was arguably the best overall CB on one of the best defenses in the league so yeah, not as big a stretch as you are making it out to be.
Yes. Really. TB had a great season last year and I've seen a few articles which point out how he stacked up against the rest of the league....and he did very, very well. My biggest question is...can he play the slot cover guy? Apparently, the Niners like him better on the edge. Fine with me....as long as they find their slot cover guy somewhere...anywhere.