There are 141 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Step up

I have heard many people argue that the 2012 draft class was poor for the Niners, I don't see it that way because the Niners balk at playing rookies when talent is sufficient. If Harbaugh and his staff stay true to form, they will insert the "redshirt freshmen" into the starting lineup. Since you guys are more passionate and knowledgeable about your team, who are the guys that are going to step up from that class and make a big splash this year??
Jason Slowey
Originally posted by seahawk12thman:
I have heard many people argue that the 2012 draft class was poor for the Niners, I don't see it that way because the Niners balk at playing rookies when talent is sufficient. If Harbaugh and his staff stay true to form, they will insert the "redshirt freshmen" into the starting lineup. Since you guys are more passionate and knowledgeable about your team, who are the guys that are going to step up from that class and make a big splash this year??

I would be able to answer this question with more confidence after training camp is over but i'll take a stab at it.

There's still a lot of question marks surrounding AJ Jenkins but with Mario likely still rehabbing at the beginning of the season the opportunity is there for him to step up and make an impact.

Darius flemming was injured 10 minutes into TC so he is another big question mark.

Cam Johnson has an uphill battle to even make the roster with the addition of Lemonier this year and Parys being back healthy.

Trenton Robinson I don't see as much more than depth and ST's guy

If there is one guy who I think could surprise and really make a contribution it would be Joe Looney pushing Goodwin for the starting center Job.
The reason why I ask is I am assessing the two teams because I truly believe the Seahawks and 49ers are probably going to be playing for the right to go to the superbowl. I know most of your players from the starting lineup last year but there should be some surprise editions if Baalke did a good job. I was trying to see how these teams match up this year. Personally, the only player I see cracking the starting lineup right away from the 2013 draft is Eric Reid. Atlanta doesn't have a defense and they will have to go through the NFC west this year.. Their division just got a lot tougher and I think they are going to have a dog fight in the south.
Interesting query. Clearly you are trying to steel our secrets. Fat chance PETE CARROLL!!! Just Kidding. No really the key this year is going to be Scott Tolzien. Just dump all your film on Kaepernick because Tolzien is going to blow your mind. Pistol?? forget it. We're going to a 7 step drop.

OK jokes are over. Last years draft was a success because it set up this years draft and brought in 4 guys who will likely stick this year. But really only had one difference maker. Not because we had a bunch of players.

Truth. I think we have already seen the best of that class in LMJ. Who hopefully will step up on punt returns. It will be interesting to see how we manage him and Hunter in the backfield.

rd1-Jenkins-supposedly this guy is going to be a factor this year based on the theory you have presented. Maybe, maybe not. I think Patton will push him and win and Jenkins becomes a bust. Not really a big loss if Patton steps up or Manningham comes back and stays healthy. I would be perfectly happy for him to break out this year but I'm not holding my breath. We would have done better to deal this pick or take fleener I think. But at the time we didn't really need a TE. Maybe Jenkins works out but I think if I had a do over I trade this pick for a 1st in this years first round.

rd2-LMJ-is the man. Should be better with another year in the system.

rd3-traded into the 5th round of this year. (Nick moody ILB=Yawn/depth/who cares we have the best to ILBs in football and probably sign Larry Grant back after his suspension for peanuts.)

rd4-Looney-no way he breaks into the starting lineup unless he magically learns to snap the ball. But he is hopefully solid depth on the line and hopefully we never even have to figure that out this year. Not a bad pick.

rd5-Flemming was hurt last year and now joins a very crowded competition to again be the depth on our team. I think he looses out to someone who wants it on special teams. We really don't know what we have in this kid and basically he's a "redshirt" again if he even makes this team. Don't really know if this was a bad pick or not but he may not get a chance to pan out.

rd6-Trent Robinson-graded an A last year by B/R. Doesn't even make the team this year. But hey that's typical of a 6th round pick. These guys are always camp bodies. 1 Brady in 100000........

rd7-Cam Johnson-I liked this kid but again he was hurt. We shall see. He will join the fight to be an OLB on this team.
The reason why I ask is I am assessing the two teams because I truly believe the Seahawks and 49ers are probably going to be playing for the right to go to the superbowl. I know most of your players from the starting lineup last year but there should be some surprise editions if Baalke did a good job. I was trying to see how these teams match up this year. Personally, the only player I see cracking the starting lineup right away from the 2013 draft is Eric Reid. Atlanta doesn't have a defense and they will have to go through the NFC west this year.. Their division just got a lot tougher and I think they are going to have a dog fight in the south.

I see a lot more defensive line subs happening this year to keep people fresh ... and situationally (pass rush).
"Interesting query. Clearly you are trying to steel our secrets. Fat chance PETE CARROLL!!! Just Kidding. No really the key this year is going to be Scott Tolzien. Just dump all your film on Kaepernick because Tolzien is going to blow your mind. Pistol?? forget it. We're going to a 7 step drop".

You guys have a rabid fan base with all your members which is good, but if Pete Carroll came to this website and read what was said about Him, The Seahawks, his Wife, his Dog and any living descendants he would have jumped off the space needle head first years ago.
I think AJ Jenkins has the chance to make the biggest splash since the expectations are so low for him. If he can emerge as the number 3 receiver, that would do wonders.

I think the only other players that have a shot to break out are Trent Robinson, mainly as a special teams players, and Joe Looney who could either start at center or be a key backup at guard.

Cam Johnson likely will go back to the practice squad if anything. It's unfortunate, because I had high hopes for him. Darius Fleming is a longshot as well. I actually have him on my final 53 man roster, but he could be headed to the practice squad as well when Larry Grant's suspension is over. Both of these guys if they remain there should by ready to be regularly contributors in 2014 when/if Parys Haralson and Larry Grant are both gone.
"Interesting query. Clearly you are trying to steel our secrets. Fat chance PETE CARROLL!!! Just Kidding. No really the key this year is going to be Scott Tolzien. Just dump all your film on Kaepernick because Tolzien is going to blow your mind. Pistol?? forget it. We're going to a 7 step drop".

You guys have a rabid fan base with all your members which is good, but if Pete Carroll came to this website and read what was said about Him, The Seahawks, his Wife, his Dog and any living descendants he would have jumped off the space needle head first years ago.

Well I guess I'm proud not to be that guy. I think I answered your question fairly well. You guys are going to be sick this year. If you ask me though I wouldn't worry about our 2012 draft class. Strength of schedules home vs. away is going to be the biggest divide between our two teams records. We play more of our tougher match ups at home and you play more of your tougher match ups on the road.
Originally posted by VA49er:
Interesting query. Clearly you are trying to steel our secrets. Fat chance PETE CARROLL!!! Just Kidding. No really the key this year is going to be Scott Tolzien. Just dump all your film on Kaepernick because Tolzien is going to blow your mind. Pistol?? forget it. We're going to a 7 step drop.

OK jokes are over. Last years draft was a success because it set up this years draft and brought in 4 guys who will likely stick this year. But really only had one difference maker. Not because we had a bunch of players.

Truth. I think we have already seen the best of that class in LMJ. Who hopefully will step up on punt returns. It will be interesting to see how we manage him and Hunter in the backfield.

rd1-Jenkins-supposedly this guy is going to be a factor this year based on the theory you have presented. Maybe, maybe not. I think Patton will push him and win and Jenkins becomes a bust. Not really a big loss if Patton steps up or Manningham comes back and stays healthy. I would be perfectly happy for him to break out this year but I'm not holding my breath. We would have done better to deal this pick or take fleener I think. But at the time we didn't really need a TE. Maybe Jenkins works out but I think if I had a do over I trade this pick for a 1st in this years first round.

rd2-LMJ-is the man. Should be better with another year in the system.

rd3-traded into the 5th round of this year. (Nick moody ILB=Yawn/depth/who cares we have the best to ILBs in football and probably sign Larry Grant back after his suspension for peanuts.)

rd4-Looney-no way he breaks into the starting lineup unless he magically learns to snap the ball. But he is hopefully solid depth on the line and hopefully we never even have to figure that out this year. Not a bad pick.

rd5-Flemming was hurt last year and now joins a very crowded competition to again be the depth on our team. I think he looses out to someone who wants it on special teams. We really don't know what we have in this kid and basically he's a "redshirt" again if he even makes this team. Don't really know if this was a bad pick or not but he may not get a chance to pan out.

rd6-Trent Robinson-graded an A last year by B/R. Doesn't even make the team this year. But hey that's typical of a 6th round pick. These guys are always camp bodies. 1 Brady in 100000........

rd7-Cam Johnson-I liked this kid but again he was hurt. We shall see. He will join the fight to be an OLB on this team.

Thank you. This was very informative.. Sounds like the entire draft comes down to Jenkins and James. James was confused last year and didn't always read the hole right. I would think some seasoning and the fact he was in such an unorthodox offense as Oregon's would hinder hid development at the pro level.. That is all I need. We will use these secrets during week 2.. Signed Peter Carroll LOL

Now that the Rams are in the picture as well, this division won't be much fun...
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I think AJ Jenkins has the chance to make the biggest splash since the expectations are so low for him. If he can emerge as the number 3 receiver, that would do wonders.

I think the only other players that have a shot to break out are Trent Robinson, mainly as a special teams players, and Joe Looney who could either start at center or be a key backup at guard.

Cam Johnson likely will go back to the practice squad if anything. It's unfortunate, because I had high hopes for him. Darius Fleming is a longshot as well. I actually have him on my final 53 man roster, but he could be headed to the practice squad as well when Larry Grant's suspension is over. Both of these guys if they remain there should by ready to be regularly contributors in 2014 when/if Parys Haralson and Larry Grant are both gone.

Interesting point about Flemming and Johnson. But I think we brought in more competition this year and will get more the next. I essentially agree that they were good developmental picks. Trent Robinson might make the team but I doubt it.

Do you really think Joe Looney is the top candidate to push for the center job? Not Kilgore? I'm seriously asking I don't really have an opinion but I thought Kilgore was the guy to push if anyone. I still think Looney was a good depth pick last year.

As for Jenkins, after last year, if he is still on the squad that is almost a success. He would do well to be the #4 at this point. He's a successful pick if he pans out as the legitimate 3rd option.
Well I guess I'm proud not to be that guy. I think I answered your question fairly well. You guys are going to be sick this year. If you ask me though I wouldn't worry about our 2012 draft class. Strength of schedules home vs. away is going to be the biggest divide between our two teams records. We play more of our tougher match ups at home and you play more of your tougher match ups on the road.

The schedule does favor SF. The Hawks have to play 5 10 am games: Ny Giants, Indianapolis Colts, Houston Texans, Carolina Panthers and Atlanta Falcons.. BRUTAL!!! You guys play 2, Jacksonville and Tampa Bay. Jacksonville though is in London so you should be acclimated to the time difference. 5-1 sheesh. I like the niners chances based on their schedule at repeating the division title BUT if the Hawks do win the division with our s**tty ass schedule, we will be unstoppable.. JMHO..
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Interesting point about Flemming and Johnson. But I think we brought in more competition this year and will get more the next. I essentially agree that they were good developmental picks. Trent Robinson might make the team but I doubt it.

Do you really think Joe Looney is the top candidate to push for the center job? Not Kilgore? I'm seriously asking I don't really have an opinion but I thought Kilgore was the guy to push if anyone. I still think Looney was a good depth pick last year.

As for Jenkins, after last year, if he is still on the squad that is almost a success. He would do well to be the #4 at this point. He's a successful pick if he pans out as the legitimate 3rd option.
I don't know who is the favorite, that's why I said Looney could either push for the starting job or be a key backup. Either way, if he dresses on Sundays this year, and gets work in our jumbo packages, the pick is a success. I also agree with your points about AJ Jenkins.

It's an uphill climb for these guys. At best, the linebackers can hope to be key backups. LaMichael James will be a key backup, a very important one, but a backup nonetheless. Robinson could shock the world and start but will likely be a key backup and special teamer. The perception of this draft really hinges on AJ Jenkins. Most of pressure usually is on the first round pick, but there is even more in this case because AJ is the only one who has a legitimate chance to start.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Jason Slowey

Wasn't he cut? ??
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Yes, he was cut last preseason I think.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home