There are 190 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

HarBaalke Makes a Loud and Clear Statement with this Draft

• irief
  • Veteran
HarBaalke made it clear with this draft that they felt we got burned by the Passing Game in the post season because of a lack of pass rush and not necessarily poor DB play. A statement has been made that we did not have enough depth at DE/OLB to pressure the pocket consistently.
Originally posted by irief:
HarBaalke made it clear with this draft that they felt we got burned by the Passing Game in the post season because of a lack of pass rush and not necessarily poor DB play. A statement has been made that we did not have enough depth at DE/OLB to pressure the pocket consistently.

I don't think many would argue against that. We simply didn't, it got better when Justin came back, but the difference was obvious without him and with him not 100%. That can't happen if we expect to make another run.
  • irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't think many would argue against that. We simply didn't, it got better when Justin came back, but the difference was obvious without him and with him not 100%. That can't happen if we expect to make another run.

Agreed. They really put their money where there mouth is this time.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

wtf
  • irief
  • Veteran

Seriously, what kind of crap is this?
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcOwpQfj29I" style="text-align: center;[/video]

lmao
Originally posted by ads_2006:

wtf

+1
that chick got datass doe.

I've said many times that I didn't think that the secondary was as much of an issue as I thought that injury to Justin Smith and the lack of depth and pass rush were responsible for the 49ers issues in the playoffs.
Overall, I think we had a GREAT draft! We solidified our 2 glaring openings at FS and backup/2nd TE, plus added good depth/future starters at DE, OLB, WR, and RB. I can see 6 starters from this draft, which would be stellar.

QB: Waiting until the 7th round demonstrates that the FO is set with Kaep/McCoy/Tolzien. It's possible that Daniels can usurp Tolzien as our #3 QB.

RB: I love the Lattimore pick, as most of us do, but this was obviously a luxury pick. He probably wont have much of an impact this year, but he could be the heir apparent to Gore. Going forward, the backfield of Gore, Hunter, James, Lattimore, Dixon is DEADLY!!! We probably wont be able to keep everyone, but we have great talent.

WR: The addition of Patton makes a lot of sense for multiple reasons: he wont be required to contributed significantly this year, can watch and learn from Boldin, and presents some insurance against Crabtree leaving via FA. If Jenkins can step up this year, which the FO seems to have faith in, given Patton fell into their laps in the 4th round, then we can expect a Crabtree/Jenkins/Patton WR corp going into 2014.

TE: I will be the first to admit I was slightly disappointed with McDonald over Kelce, but that was more ignorance on my part. McDonald possesses game-changing ability, but has to work on his hands (remarkably similar to D. Walker). Trading up in the 2nd demonstrated the importance of the TE position to this team.

OL: Other than Bykowski and Marquardt, the O-line didn't change. We have long-term answers at 4 of the 5 positions (assuming we extend Iupati), and the lack of a center demonstrates that our FO is confident in Looney/Kilgore to take over for Goodwin.

DL: LOVE the Carradine pick!!! Heir apparent to Justin Smith! And we got an additional 3rd rounder, AMAZING! We passed over Jesse Williams several times, which tells me we have faith in Dorsey/Williams to man the NT position (although we rarely run that formation). Dial also adds some additional depth, which we sorely lacked. Okoye remains the ultimate wildcard too. We now have a bevy of depth at the position.

OLB: Again, loved the Lemonier pick. He looks very good, and will replace Haralson after this year, potentially Brooks. With A. Smith, Brooks, Haralson, and Lemonier, we have 4 really talented OLBs.

ILB: The addition of Moody represents competition for the backup ILB. Really nothing has changed here.

CB: This is one area where a lack of a new draftee speaks volumes. Obviously, or FO has faith in Culliver and our CB rotation will be: Brown, Rogers, Asumogha, Culliver, and Cox. This presents the most glaring need for 2014 draft. The addition of Austin and Harvin into our division will push our CBs, and our FO has chosen to put our draft capital into passrush (which I completely agree with).

S: We can pencil Reid in as our starting FS for the foreseeable future. He has the speed, size, athleticism, burst, and recovery speed you look for. The fact that we didn't address the SS position means that we value Whitner more than I expected and that positions becomes another 2014 position of need.

P/K: No additions, will readdress K in 2014.

KR/PR: The James / Hunter / Williams return crew most likely wont change, no draft picks seem ideally suited. Another area of need for 2014.
Agree 100% - even in UDFA.

This draft kind of reminds me when GB had horrible DBs, and the next year they drafted 3-4 of them. It was kind of funny to see a team take the attitude - "Draft them all and we'll sort out who stays!" LOL
Nah, I think we just went to a more physical draft. We drafted big dudes that can punish other teams. Eric Reid, Tank, Vance. A clear departure from the sort of finesse draft of last year in LaMichael and AJ Jenkins
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by irief:

Do not forget that Aldon Smith was injured for the last part of the season. He needed surgery in the off season.

His injury clearly impacted his game. Sometimes, it looked like he was playing with one arm.

Losing both Dobbs and Haralson to injuries did not help.