There are 227 users in the forums

Undrafted Free Agents (List Pg 1, 9 Signees so far)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Also, to add re: whitner. Through 8 games last year (from Pro Football Focus, an advanced metrics site), Whitner ranked 61 of 67 qualifying saefties in tackling efficiency (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/11/01/signature-stat-snapshot-tackling-efficiency-dbs/). So not only can he not cover, he's not actually a good tackler either - he's one of the worst.

However you break it down, the true metrics of the game show that Whitner is the single biggest liability on the Niners and one of the largest in the league. He needs to go.
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by DarkKnight1680:
You still need to go to camp with 90 guys or so, so UFAs are still a part of the process. Sometimes they surprise you, and they are inexpensive.

As for whitner:

Jeff Deeney‏@PFF_Jeff

Donte Whitner's 8 TDs allowed in coverage was the most by any safety this season. Allowed 79.1% comp. and 128.5 QB rating.

Also, in the superbowl he gave up 5 completions including 2 TDS, on only 6 attempts his way.

He makes 3+ million and he can't cover. His biggest strength (stopping the run) isn't as useful on a team where the front 7 are terrific against the run. He needs to be replaced with a guy who is strong in coverage for this team to overcome their pass-defence woes.

We were one of the best teams in the league against the pass before Justin went down and our pass rush vanished.

So he's a liability among other solid players. The team numbers don't change his terrible individual play. Being bailed out by his pass rush only kept him from being even worse than those numbers. He's never been good in coverage, he makes a fair bit of money, and he's totally unnecessary on a team that is great against the run in the front 7. Cut him, get the cap space back, and employ a more coverage-oriented safety. I'm willing to give up a few extra yards on 1 or 2 run plays a game to have a safety who doesn't make every QB look like Aaron Rodgers having a career game.

I know it's just one play but.... I'm not keen on cutting the guy that knocked out that saints running back in the playoffs, not only stopping a sure TD but also causing a fumble that we recovered.

In my view, that hit set the tone for that game and drastically altered the momentum.

Since we've lost Goodson I'd like to know we have at least one guy back there that can drop the hammer and intimidate opposing players.
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I know it's just one play but.... I'm not keen on cutting the guy that knocked out that saints running back in the playoffs, not only stopping a sure TD but also causing a fumble that we recovered.

In my view, that hit set the tone for that game and drastically altered the momentum.

Since we've lost Goodson I'd like to know we have at least one guy back there that can drop the hammer and intimidate opposing players.

See post above - while that one play was impressive and a big play in that game, he's actually a liability tackling as well. Look at it this way: he might have saved a TD with that tackle. But if he wasn't playing, theres a good chance the Saints don't score nearly enough points for that to have mattered. It's easy to point to one play, but true evidence requires sample size...and for Donte, the larger sample shows a truly terrible safety.
The Niners have only Phil Dawson in camp. They will need another placekicker for camp.
5 feet 9 inches, 205 pounds. He looks to be an excellent UDFA pick up.

[ Edited by dGilleran on Apr 29, 2013 at 2:11 PM ]
Bye bye Jewel Hampton
Idaho should be happy. Not sure what it is but the 49ers love to collect RB's with major injuries.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 29, 2013 at 2:25 PM ]
I had a first round grade on this guy, amazing pickup
Originally posted by RonMexico:
I had a first round grade on this guy, amazing pickup

I remember someone posting a video of Phillip Thomas vs Boise State and a couple of posters pointing out how Harper stood out in the video.

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Idaho should be happy. Not sure what it is but the 49ers love to collect RB's with major injuries.

And one major injury isn't enough....you gotta have at least two major knee injuries before we'll give you a look.
beast
How come we didnt get chris thompson he broke his back.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
And one major injury isn't enough....you gotta have at least two major knee injuries before we'll give you a look.

This...

"So you've ONLY had one blown ACL?"

Looks good in those highlights, the 49ers are loaded at the RB position, going to be some good battles in camp.
Share 49ersWebzone