There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The Quinton Patton Tank of Truth

What the hell? We have the most fragile WR's of all time..... And this guy is fragile as hell. We are in the 4th game of the year and he has already had 2 broken bones. He broke his hand before he could even get through camp. Now he can make to game 5 without a broken foot. I don't know about this guy anymore? He may be too fragile for the NFL.....
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
What the hell? We have the most fragile WR's of all time..... And this guy is fragile as hell. We are in the 4th game of the year and he has already had 2 broken bones. He broke his hand before he could even get through camp. Now he can make to game 5 without a broken foot. I don't know about this guy anymore? He may be too fragile for the NFL.....

LOL, because he broke a finger and had an unfortunate injury to his foot that could have happened to anyone, he's now fragile? Bro, you're reaching pretty badly right now. The Cardinals lost 3 LB's in the same guy to season-ending injuries.............s**t happens and this team's luck with injuries this season hasn't been very good.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

LOL, because he broke a finger and had an unfortunate injury to his foot that could have happened to anyone, he's now fragile? Bro, you're reaching pretty badly right now. The Cardinals lost 3 LB's in the same guy to season-ending injuries.............s**t happens and this team's luck with injuries this season hasn't been very good.

We are not even to game 5 of his rookie year and he had 2 separate broken bones from separate incidents. And now he is missing time. He's fragile as hell. Like a bull in a China shop. Patton is the China. He is brittle.
  • Ether
  • Veteran

Lol he has more injuries than catches.
Seem to remember similar comments about Crabtree in the early days
Originally posted by Ether:

Lol he has more injuries than catches.

That's true.....
Originally posted by English:

This
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

This

...and where is Crabtree now? Just saying.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

This

Trying to get healthy from an injury and missing the whole season when we need him......
When he was thrown to the ground by a DB it disturbed me...too light? Not strong enough? But then you could consider he got under a DBs skin enough to draw a penalty.

I really like this guy and believe he will be a valuable receiver. He has what Williams doesn't...the ability to get open and catch passes in a wide radius. The injuries are unfortunate but they happen. Willis has been out of games the past couple of years but I don't hear guys calling him names for it. Just happens in a rough game.
4th rounder contributing on a championship level team, that is a win. Injuries happen.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

This

Trying to get healthy from an injury and missing the whole season when we need him......

By the way, I think both Crabtree and Patton will be fine NFL receivers, and the injuries are jut flukes.
he'll be back by the end of the season. Manningham will be back soon and if Baldwin can contribute some more we should be ok. I love Patton but i hope we get to see what Harper can do.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
When he was thrown to the ground by a DB it disturbed me...too light? Not strong enough? But then you could consider he got under a DBs skin enough to draw a penalty.

I really like this guy and believe he will be a valuable receiver. He has what Williams doesn't...the ability to get open and catch passes in a wide radius. The injuries are unfortunate but they happen. Willis has been out of games the past couple of years but I don't hear guys calling him names for it. Just happens in a rough game.

We need to quit comparing other receivers to Williams. Patton has his game. Williams has his...and they are different.

Williams is very quick in tight spaces. Writers have noted in practice that none of the DBs can consistently cover him out of the slot in those quick routes.

What he can't do is out run DBs in open space.

Roman needs to put him on routes that utilize HIS talents, not on routes Roman would LIKE to have run but are not within his ability. This is a criticism I have of Harbaugh/Roman in general. They tend to stubbornly install game plans and play calls that suit THEIR ideas but are not the best for the players. The Ram game was both a breath of fresh air and a demonstration of my point: After two games of getting their butt kicked by trying to use tricks and gimmicks instead of the solid I-formation based run game that had been such a winner in 2011 and 2012, they went back to what fits the abilities of the OL and Frank Gore, and we won. (of course playing the Rams helped)

Williams can be a useful #3 receiver on this team if used properly.
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM ]
It is good news that this is a metatarsal bone. Those usually do heal well. However, they can also become problematic if not allowed to heal fully. Because of their location in proximity to other bones, it is often difficult to tell if they have fully healed. You just can't always tell from an X-ray. The player may say they are pain free and the bone looks healed from what can be seen. Then they go out and putting full force on the foot and the partially healed bone breaks again. I have seen this in soccer players on a couple of occasions and the result was that the player missed months instead of weeks. I trust the 49er med staff will err on the side of safety and long term health.

Patton is likely to be out 6 weeks. In the meantime, this gives Baldwin a chance to develop and contribute. He should be able to take the pressure off the decision to hurry Patton back.

Just my thoughts based on personal experience with such injuries.