LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 235 users in the forums

Coach H, Kap, and RG3...and the development of a new 49er Offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Face it, we all loved watching RG3. He made the game, any game interesting. Until the ACL injury, that is. In that one moment, I think Shanahan had his entire dream of a team, his career, flash in front of his eyes. Likewise, I have a feeling Coach Harbaugh had the same thots about Kap and that fantastic running ability he has. But Coach H also saw how quickly that super Offense Read Option can crater, and RG3 was not even hit. The ligament just went. I can see Kap coming out in shotgun, pistol, derringer(whatever that is) , but I can also see him getting strict instructions to run as infrequently as possible, to make the D think he is going to run it, and then toss it to someone else. Also, we all know Kap got the word from Coach about no running over defenders, DO go out of bounds, and whenever a collision is coming immediately slide.

Look the other teams now have the book on Kap and know he can turn it on and go 40 yds for a TD. Just that fact allows Kap to fake the option read/run, and then throw it from that set. Other teams are rightfully afraid of Kap taking off around them, and have seen him do it. That alone is fear enough to get their containment guys to crash the ends, but then just hold their ground...giving Kap more time to find a receiver. I think the mental imprint of what kap can do is fixed in every HCs brain...and rightfully they are afraid of what he might do. It is no longer necessary for Kap to take off on thoe 40 yard runs. Just the fact he CAN do it doesn't mean he will do it. Hence, look for a lot less runnning by Kap this yr, and we will all pray he stays healthy. His past performance is enough to give the outside contain guys worry. But don't look for kap to run anywhere near as much as last yr. RG3 looked great doing it. His career looks about 90% more fragile than Kaps, however. Coach H plays it straight. Fake the read option, but run with great care. Ask RG3 how he likes the read option now...probably not too very much.
IBTL
Originally posted by xtm059:

this is about the Niners man, try reading it
The read option isnt our base offense. Its a play from our playbook
Originally posted by valrod33:
this

i think a very small amount of people understand that the pistol is a formation not an offense...
But Coach H also saw how quickly that super Offense Read Option can crater, and RG3 was not even hit. The ligament just went.

he was already injured from a hit
point is, Kap's ability to run is going to get drastically reduced, because JH doesn't want an RG3 episode which would effectively remove us from contention this yr. Instead since everyone knows Kap's ability to run, that alone should be enough to make Defenses take pause. Hence, he won't come anywhere near the mammoth # of yds rushing this yr that he had last. Said another way, he was very lucky not to have had a knee go out, but he did establish his running credentials, and i am guessing that is going to be good enough to keep DEs from crashing in on him. Coach will show option a fair amt, but my bet is it is primarily pass, not a run. As exciting as a runner as Kap is, and yes I do love to see the guy run, I am betting on Coach H keeping Kap more as a scrambling QB than a true runner. We got RBs for that and they can take the punishment much better than our qB.

Val, thanks for the correction, but it is from that play that Kap has taken off so many times last yr, and that has been when he has been most vulnerable. I just don't see Coach H letting himself get into an RG3 situation where his QB is gone for the yr. My point was, Kap has established his bonafides as a runner. And opposing DCs and HCs, are well aware of what he is capable of. My gut tells me we may see that faked, but I don't expect to see a lot of running from Kap this yr.
Reward is great....risk is worse.

As for the comment about RG3 not even being hit, remember he was injured before, and played anyway. THAT was a massive miscalculation by a HC who really wanted to win it that yr. I just think our HC is a lot smarter than that. Hence, I look for kap to really throw lots of passes this yr and leave the running to the RBs. Number wise, we probably will have as many runs as passes, as that seems to be Harbaugh's preference...and a good one.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 22, 2013 at 3:55 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:

Agreed
Idk, passing out of the option leaves Kaep without a blocker if the DE choose to go after the QB rather then the RB.

maybe more RB runs from the option is better suited if you're worried about his health

Personally I think Washington ran the read option a helluva lot better than the Niners did this past season. Washington ran play action a ton and it got WRs wide open. And Alfred Morris pounded the rock better than our beloved Frank Gore.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Face it, we all loved watching RG3. He made the game, any game interesting. Until the ACL injury, that is. In that one moment, I think Shanahan had his entire dream of a team, his career, flash in front of his eyes. Likewise, I have a feeling Coach Harbaugh had the same thots about Kap and that fantastic running ability he has. But Coach H also saw how quickly that super Offense Read Option can crater, and RG3 was not even hit. The ligament just went. I can see Kap coming out in shotgun, pistol, derringer(whatever that is)

That was an April Fool's joke

http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1113-49ers-unveil-new-derringer-offense/
Originally posted by leon49:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Face it, we all loved watching RG3. He made the game, any game interesting. Until the ACL injury, that is. In that one moment, I think Shanahan had his entire dream of a team, his career, flash in front of his eyes. Likewise, I have a feeling Coach Harbaugh had the same thots about Kap and that fantastic running ability he has. But Coach H also saw how quickly that super Offense Read Option can crater, and RG3 was not even hit. The ligament just went. I can see Kap coming out in shotgun, pistol, derringer(whatever that is)

That was an April Fool's joke

http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1113-49ers-unveil-new-derringer-offense/

So secret even the coaches don't know about it.
I doubt that we limit the running to avoid injury. If it helps us win games, then we'll continue to do it. But anyway... I DO think that we won't run as much, but for different reasons. Because defenses will key in so much on the threat of the run, we'll pass more. Also, Kaepernick's got a great arm and his command of the offense will be greater. He'll run less because he'll be so successful passing the ball.

Also, Kaepernick's very well-coached, I think. He knows not to take any big shots that he doesn't have to take.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by theninermaniac:
Personally I think Washington ran the read option a helluva lot better than the Niners did this past season. Washington ran play action a ton and it got WRs wide open. And Alfred Morris pounded the rock better than our beloved Frank Gore.

I really .liked how Washington and Seattle would have 3 wrs on the field and spread teams out. Whereas the 49ers used more two TE sets which was favorable because Delanie Walker was an outstanding blocker

But with his leaving to Tenn the 49ers may be using more 3 wr sets which will give more mismatch opportunities.
Share 49ersWebzone