LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

How did San Francisco lose the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
What exactly happened between the niners and the city of san francisco? I knew that the team tried to work with the city for at least ten years but no progress was made. I'm curious as to what happened? Was it politics, greed, stupidity, a failed leadership by the mayors of San Francisco? Did San Fran offer up free land like they did the Warriors? Was freeway access the problem? Besides bayview, where else was the proposed stadium suppose to be built? I was thinking right across the street from att where ucsf extension campus is being built.

Could anyone give an explanation on what caused the rift between the niners and the city?
If I recall they wanted to give us a stadium around a city dump, no lie, might be wrong, I don't live out in bay area so someone else can help better, but that's what I heard.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
If I recall they wanted to give us a stadium around a city dump, no lie, might be wrong, I don't live out in bay area so someone else can help better, but that's what I heard.

Lula it was on top of a toxic waste dump. Cleaned up of course, but with no timeline.
Hunter's Point I believe and people from the area will tell you it is a bad neighborhood. I dont think it was good for traffic getting in and out either. I am not positive but I think Candlestick is bad as well. I'm from Wisc and never been to a game so just going off of what i have heard. The new stadium has a lot more exits and has the train that goes right up to the front of the stadium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Clara_Stadium

start reading at previous plans 1/3 down the page, that tells some of the story.

Picture of hunter's point proposed plan. I think Gavin Newsome then mayor and Senator Dianne Finnestien (sp?) who use to be SF's mayor in the 80s were stubborn and not really willing to cooperate. I don't think they were big football fans to put it simple.

For those of you not familar I am pretty sure Hunter's Point is the area of land going out into the sea that is above candlestick. Look for the big rectangular white building. That whole area where the land goes out into the sea a ways is where they wanted to build the stadium at.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 22, 2013 at 2:30 AM ]

area49

/thread
  • Chico
  • Veteran
like everything else in this world, it more than likely came down to MONEY!
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Originally posted by Chico:
like everything else in this world, it more than likely came down to MONEY!
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah, the city probably wanted the team to pay for all or most of it and the team probably wanted the city to pay a good chunk.
There was a Poker game involved. Someone had a really good hand.
In a nutshell the bats**t crazy "leaders" and "elites" of SF, many of whom (imo) detest sports and especially football, thought they could continue to string the 49ers along. They didn't learn their lesson from their dealings with the Giants...remember how long they battled the Giants on a new stadium, and the multiple times the Giants almost moved?

Then after all the naysaying, a jewel of a baseball park gets built and turns what was once just another s***hole of SF into a completely revitalized "destination" spot with restaurants, pubs, high-end retail, and upscale residential. Yeah, good thing they fought that for so long, it was muuuuch better when the area had abandoned cars, piles of garbage, and bums p***ing on the sidewalks.

So basically I think, to their undying credit, Jed York & the 49ers had put up with this for 10+ years and finally called SF's bluff and told them to pound sand. I believe they (SF) were so arrogant they didn't actually think the 49ers would dare leave their little island Utopia. I'm so glad they did, that it's less trips I have to make across the bridge into that city, and I'm delighted that it really gets under the skin of many of these leaders that the 49ers are keeping the SF name.
Originally posted by DelCed2486:
In a nutshell the bats**t crazy "leaders" and "elites" of SF, many of whom (imo) detest sports and especially football, thought they could continue to string the 49ers along. They didn't learn their lesson from their dealings with the Giants...remember how long they battled the Giants on a new stadium, and the multiple times the Giants almost moved?

Then after all the naysaying, a jewel of a baseball park gets built and turns what was once just another s***hole of SF into a completely revitalized "destination" spot with restaurants, pubs, high-end retail, and upscale residential. Yeah, good thing they fought that for so long, it was muuuuch better when the area had abandoned cars, piles of garbage, and bums p***ing on the sidewalks.

So basically I think, to their undying credit, Jed York & the 49ers had put up with this for 10+ years and finally called SF's bluff and told them to pound sand. I believe they (SF) were so arrogant they didn't actually think the 49ers would dare leave their little island Utopia. I'm so glad they did, that it's less trips I have to make across the bridge into that city, and I'm delighted that it really gets under the skin of many of these leaders that the 49ers are keeping the SF name.

This is a good summary, LOL. SF played hardball and was extremely slow approving new stadium plans, just like they are with any new development. the elites dont see the need to improve anything for the people or business, thinking their holy little elitist city doesn't need to help the big bad businesses that just bring money and tax revenue. The city basically refused any public funding or support for the stadium. And what happens? Businesses move on and the city is stuck with an empty piece of junk stadium - ha ha. Now they won't have that tax revenue for their social welfare agenda!

The whole process came to a standstill when Eddie D's legal problems started. The Yorks didn't have a clue for a decade.
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Picture of hunter's point proposed plan. I think Gavin Newsome then mayor and Senator Dianne Finnestien (sp?) who use to be SF's mayor in the 80s were stubborn and not really willing to cooperate. I don't think they were big football fans to put it simple.

This is my recollection as well. The niners originally wanted SF to chip in and the city pols didn't go for this. Santa Clara was more willing to work with the team and won the day. Arrogance of leadership sums up most of SF's problems over the years.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I also think there is a practical issue that San Francisco just doesn't have any good land to provide. Land areas are too small and have poor freeway/mass transit access.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Gore_21:

This is my recollection as well. The niners originally wanted SF to chip in and the city pols didn't go for this. Santa Clara was more willing to work with the team and won the day. Arrogance of leadership sums up most of SF's problems over the years.

How was it political ..when the city of SF voted against it ?

i blame the residents more then the SF's office ( SF had their chances and voted no )
There are a lot of reasons that added up.

After YEARS & YEARS of rope-a-dope the 49ers gave up and went to greener pastures.

VERY smart move on their part. VERY, VERY stupid for the city of SF. They lost a bundle.

In NYC the same crap happend w/super taxes etc so the Giants got a GREAT deal from NJ and moved there. Think of all the mullah they lost!

Not very foward think by so-called elite cities.
Share 49ersWebzone