There are 91 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

9ers Hurry Up Offense

It would seem to me that one of the 49ers weaknesses last year was nearly zero ability to go with a hurry up offense. Their play calling was excruciatingly slow - giving defenses plenty of time to adjust to the offensive personnel. Even with all the shifting, the delay between the shift and the snap gave the defense time to adjust.

With the 49ers' versatile personnel packages, it would seem that going to the hurry up would put a lot more stress on the defense than the current system of long play calls and substitutions.

The key will be player competency in the hurry up - especially CK. I would bet we see it next year.

Others might say the Harbaugh / Roman system is not built for the hurry up. Maybe. But I think Harbaugh's system is one that evolves constantly to what works.

What do you think? Should the 49ers use more hurry up?
The two-minute offense was something Alex and this offense excelled in. But with Roman and play calling and a new QB and well, a different type of offense (e.g. the Q), it's going to take a while for everyone, esp. Roman/CK to be on the same page quickly to take advantage of defenses. It just takes time and repetition. We also struggle in loud stadiums. This is a very good point and two areas we'll "hopefully" become more proficient at with time.

PS: The hurry up (Patriots) are always effective against our defense and we have one of the best defenses in the NFL. Why couldn't it work FOR US? It can but the Patriots have years of experience there.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 21, 2013 at 10:52 AM ]
To your point about the Pats (and Manning also) you are right. To play the Hurry Up / No Huddle as much as they do it takes a QB that can basically act as an OC on the field. And it takes a system that all the other players have learned to understand the QB's calls. That would take a few years at least.

With CK's limited experience, I would expect that they just have a limited HU package each week for a series or two.
TOTALLY AGREE! The "Hurry-Up" slows down power D's like our's and the Giants. It is a great "TOOL" that IMO would help us with teams like Seattle and we have talent to pull it off.
Hopefully we do some work with this during the off-season so we can do it to other teams!
Originally posted by HearstFan:
To your point about the Pats (and Manning also) you are right. To play the Hurry Up / No Huddle as much as they do it takes a QB that can basically act as an OC on the field. And it takes a system that all the other players have learned to understand the QB's calls. That would take a few years at least.

With CK's limited experience, I would expect that they just have a limited HU package each week for a series or two.

Agreed...it will certainly take some time and be used as a "package" like the previous posted alluded too. It will take some time. It can really help a lot if we can get proficient enough to use it in loud stadiums and neutralize them and REALLY help against good (e.g. Seattle) defenses with a lot of pass rush weapons and substitutions.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 21, 2013 at 11:36 AM ]
Hurry up offense will come with experience. It sucks that we have to face Seattle early in the season. Could've had time to perfect the offense before we have our revenge at their house. But I think with our speed, the hurry up will be at the point of unstoppable
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Hurry up offense will come with experience. It sucks that we have to face Seattle early in the season. Could've had time to perfect the offense before we have our revenge at their house. But I think with our speed, the hurry up will be at the point of unstoppable

I am glad we visit SEA early in the year because I believe that we will enter the new year with a ton of new wrinkles offensively and our offense will do so much more because Kaep is so dynamic. It will probably take about 5 to 6 weeks of film study for D Coordinators to fully grasp which direction we are headed and by then we will have played one of the tougher stretches of our schedule. This is the 1st offseason where we dedicated our offense to the talents of CK7. By the time teams figure something out we will have already beaten SEA hopefully
I also subscribe to what Baalke was saying the summer of 2011 about Harbaugh in that being a college coach he would handle the lockout and the ensuing late start to the offseason just fine because college kids report to campus much later than NFL teams do anyway. That said, I do have faith that this coaching staff can properly and efficiently install a hurry up offense this offseason if they so choose. Yes we will need experience running it but this never stopped us before. Thing is will we get the proper depth defensively to withstand the short resting period this quick strike and/or change of possession style will yield
Would be nice to run a no-huddle offense always.

No commercials.