There are 54 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why do we succumb to teams we can't Bully?

Originally posted by dj43:
Coaching. It is the job of the staff to prepare the team to struggle and overcome adversity. That obviously did not happen this last season. The WWL pattern falls on Harbaugh and staff.

except we were down Against the Pack, and Falcons before advancing to the SuperBowl and again against the Ravens, we came back on them.........(friggen missed flag :-( )
Originally posted by spizzy:
Why the hell does everyone spell Goldson** wrong lmao? Its always Gholdson, Goldston, etc

Donte Winter hahahaha
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
The teams we were unable to "bully" have better than average o-lines. If our d-line wears down because we didn't have a good rotation we get shut down. When this happens teams can typically run on us and of course that opens up the passing game etc.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I have adjusted my stance on this. I used to think the same as the poster that when we get punched in the mouth we tend to back down. i think instead, we can not change our style or mindset when teams do push back against us. i do not think the guys "backed down". I just think that we have to take care of the things we can control, when we do that we tend to bring out the worst in teams. and of course the Markd poster is spot on. it is much easier to be the bully, to be the aggressor when you have fresh bodies on the d line and with the linebackers. Now i think this applies to the coaches. to many times, our coaches got "cute' when they should have just played power football,, whether that be on our own goal line vs the rams or first and goal from the 7 in the super bowl.
Originally posted by MarkD:
The teams we were unable to "bully" have better than average o-lines. If our d-line wears down because we didn't have a good rotation we get shut down. When this happens teams can typically run on us and of course that opens up the passing game etc.

I think your right, these teams tend to have better O-lines and big tough RB's.

I also think it's about the attitude of the team we are playing; take the Patriot game. The O-line did well and Brady was game, he wanted to be aggressive against our defense but Hernandez & Welker said "screw that these guys are going to kill us"!

The Ravens had no fear, in fact they had their way with us until the second half. The Seahawks receiver's were soft in candle stick, hearing footsteps all day causing them to have a bad case of the alligator arms. However in Seattle they changed tier attitudes and clocked VD and the whole game changed. They now know what it takes to play us; the must be fearless. The Giants used their own no fear tactics and destroyed us in candle stick as well.

I see a pattern here, O-line/big RB/no fear equals a win against us.
I disagree completely with the premise of this thread.. The 49ers are one of THE toughest teams in the NFL. I don't believe that the 49ers lose to teams that are equally tough or physical.

Sometimes you just lose, whether the team is flat, playing on a short week... whatever. It happens.
The only thing I would agree with is that their style of play is tough to keep up for 20+ games a season. They need to have more depth to keep guys fresh.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think you answered your own question. You might as well rephrase it as "Why do we beat the bad teams, and only lose to good teams?". Teams that are mentally, physically tough are more difficult to beat for everyone. It's not like that's are kryptonite. When we lose, it's because we were outplayed by a good team. We match up with physical teams just fine. We are one of those physical teams.

I think these are some very good teams that we beat:

Patriots
Packers
Saints
Falcons

these are two very average to below average teams that we lost to;

Vikings
Rams

And we beat them on the ROAD. Very impressive.
Well, I DO think the original question by the OP is a good one. Talent is one thing, but toughness, hitting hard, and mental preparation is another. There's nuthin' like kickin' the $h!t out of a "finesse" team like we did to Green Bay last year and the Saints the previous year. And, I don't mind sooo much losing one or two games a year to a team we should beat on paper. What gets under most of our skins is being beaten on the scoreboard plus being physically dominated...hence the hatred for Seattle. They'll talk their ish, back it up, and, at the end of the day, we'll probably be splitting season series' with them for a looong time to come.
It's a relevant topic but there is such parity it's impossible to have a team 100% ready every week. Injuries, scheduling and other factors come into play. There were only two games last season where we were bullied, the Giants and the second Seahawks game. Bottom line, we were 5 yards away from winning it all.
I think toughness is all a matter of opinion. The only teams that beat us when it mattered the most was the Giants and Ravens. Even then one could argue those losses were at the hands of execution rather than having toughness issues.
I would say that we bullied BAL up pretty bad on the ground by limiting them to under 100yds rushing then rushing for nearly 200 yds ourselves. Our OL bullies virtually everyone. It was our DL that tailed off due to depth issues late in the season. I don't see us as backing down from a fight from anyone. We just tend to have our bad games from time to time. Now it is Harbaugh's 3rd season so let us see if he can win the chip like Walsh did
Every team could say the same. What's your point?
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Why the hell does everyone spell Goldson** wrong lmao? Its always Gholdson, Goldston, etc

Gwholestum

Gollum
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:

Gwholestum

Originally posted by luchon844:

Donte Winter hahahaha

Right? It's not that hard lol.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home