There are 115 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why do we succumb to teams we can't Bully?

It seems like every team we have lost to in the past two years punched us back in the mouth and we don't seem to know how to respond when the other team isn't afraid.

2011:

Cowboys
Ravens
Cardinals
Giants

2012:

Vikings
Rams
Seahawks
Giants
Ravens

Seeing VD get hammered in Seattle last year with know Seahawk feeling the raft of Gholdson or our LBing core was painful! Watching the Ravens drop back and throw to an open WR with out the QB getting tapped out was equally painful. All of these games were painful, mainly because it seems like we back down when the other team resist.

Why can't we keep our physical and mental edge against the tougher teams?

Look at what we did to those so called finess teams:

Patriots
Packers
Saints
Falcons

The only tough teams we have beaten in the past two years;

Chicago Bears (only tough according to the media)
Giants
Seahawks
Detroit (Fake tough guys)

Maybe our rough style of play is too tough to maintain through 23-24 games including playoffs and pre season?

Your thoughts?
I totally disagree that we "backed down."

I think we failed to make the proper adjustments.

As far as the 2nd Seattle game goes we were burnt - period. No Dline rotation started to take it's toll.

And - it's yesterday's news. Today = FA & the draft.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I totally disagree that we "backed down."

I think we failed to make the proper adjustments.

As far as the 2nd Seattle game goes we were burnt - period. No Dline rotation started to take it's toll.

And - it's yesterday's news. Today = FA & the draft.

What exactly do you mean when you say we failed to make the proper adjustments?`

I think the exact opposite; I believe those teams that chose to match our physical style of play forced us to adjust to them. I know it has only been two years, but we are no longer used to losing or being pushed around so when it happens I think we don't know how to respond.
I think you answered your own question. You might as well rephrase it as "Why do we beat the bad teams, and only lose to good teams?". Teams that are mentally, physically tough are more difficult to beat for everyone. It's not like that's are kryptonite. When we lose, it's because we were outplayed by a good team. We match up with physical teams just fine. We are one of those physical teams.
Why the hell does everyone spell Goldson** wrong lmao? Its always Gholdson, Goldston, etc
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think you answered your own question. You might as well rephrase it as "Why do we beat the bad teams, and only lose to good teams?". Teams that are mentally, physically tough are more difficult to beat for everyone. It's not like that's are kryptonite. When we lose, it's because we were outplayed by a good team. We match up with physical teams just fine. We are one of those physical teams.

I think these are some very good teams that we beat:

Patriots
Packers
Saints
Falcons

these are two very average to below average teams that we lost to;

Vikings
Rams
  • Amir
  • Veteran
haha cum
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Patriots
Packers
Saints
Falcons

Vikings
Rams

I see your point. You are right in that physical teams seem to give us more trouble than finesse teams. A big part of our game is predicated on being the bully. There is a reason why we kicked the s**t out of the Pack twice, but lost to the Vikes and Rams.

I just don't think we have to worry about getting bullied. The only game i felt we got smacked around in was @ Seattle, which I think had a lot to do with 90+ defensive snaps we had the previous week against the high tempo New England offense. The guys were running on fumes.

Everyone has a tougher time with physically imposing teams. Due to our physical nature, we are better suited for these matchups than most of the league, even if we lose a few games.
Originally posted by spizzy:
Why the hell does everyone spell Goldson** wrong lmao? Its always Gholdson, Goldston, etc

Gwholestum
Why do we have fans that complain after a Super Bowl season? f**k.
I don't think it was about being punched back more than it was about the opponent being disciplined on defense vs us. The teams we lost to didn't fall for our "shock" plays. The shock plays were key to us having the advantage when we had Alex Smith. Alex was very good at making defense pay when they make a mistake but not very good at making things happen if a defense does not make mistakes.

It will be different now that we know what Colin can do. Teams, just as BAL did, will start to take more risks and make mistakes because of the pressure Colin puts on defenses. Alex didn't put that pressure on defenses. Just wait, teams won't be able to stick with the don't give up anything over the top discipline defense vs us with Colin as they did vs Alex.
[ Edited by Joecool on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:08 PM ]
Originally posted by glorydayz:

Patriots
Packers
Saints
Falcons

Vikings
Rams

To be fair on the Vikings game, we did (relatively speaking) shut down Adrian Peterson. Limiting AP to 86 yards and no TDs in his house I imagine is no easy task considering he put 182 yards and 2 TDs on the Seahawks in their house. But IMO the big failure was overlooking the passing game...and Ponder actually having a read-option of his own that burned us, BIG TIME.

Defensively speaking, it appears that was the common theme on games we lost miserably on last season (including the Super Bowl) was concentrating too much on shutting down All-Star players and forgetting that there's the rest of the offense to worry about. I think they did all they could defensively, but the lack of depth on the defense was just too much, and is what did us in in the end IMO.
[ Edited by Protoman on Apr 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM ]
This has been happening the past 20+ years, not just that past two. It happens. It happens to every team at some point or another.
I disagree in 2011 we couldn't really bully the Stealers, Bengals, Eagles, Seahags, Giants, or Rams yet we beat them. It was just 2012 we had some issues, mainly it was by being too cute (Giants, Rams.....) that hurt us. or we were dinged up (need more Dline Depth IMO) (Seahags and Ravens issues)
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Coaching. It is the job of the staff to prepare the team to struggle and overcome adversity. That obviously did not happen this last season. The WWL pattern falls on Harbaugh and staff.