Marvin, extremely thoughtful and encompassing look at the pre-draft 9ers. A few thoughts:
1. Kap...I share your enthusiasm.
2. Dorsey....Agree Soap had fallen off and then we get Dorsey at half what Soap signed for in Philly. They overpaid, we didn't. I hope you are correct about Dorsey being a good runstopper...that remains to be seen.
3. Boldin...Marv, I hate to disagree, but I think Boldin is 4X the player Moss was. Besides, aside from Jacoby and Hernandez, how many other guys in the NFL can consistently make the sideline jumpball catch? Right, darn few. Boldin is a chain mover and RZ bonanza we haven't had since guys like Dwight Clark, et al. Who cares if he stretches the field lengthwise? Anquan stretches it side to side...every stinking inch. Cushion or not, sideline jumpballs...they go to Anquan. He is the 3rd down playmaker we have needed the last 2 yrs to be a complete O. As for salary at $6 mil /yr, he is a steal and will probably have to restructure to $4-5 mil/yr but with more guaranteed.
I think the plan here was to compete w/ the sideline jumpball b.s., move the chains, and eliminate need for the tier 1 WR in this draft. Mission accomplished. If he does well and gets extended, even better. But he better play like it or he is 1 yr wonder.
4.Colt ...As a dyed in the wool Longhorn fan, I needn't say much. Great arm, great head on his shoulders, excellent runner, tough, and he started 4 yrs at UT. Also he had a # of starts at Cleveland until the concussion. Weeden did to him what Kap did to alex...except Weeden is no Alex. What i wonder is why did Raids, Cards, Jax, Jets, not to mention cleveland and philly did not pull the trigger on him? And at $1mil? That is a ridiculous bargain and he is way, way better than the QB slugs at the aforementioned teams who are "starters". The truly great part is that if Kap gets hurt, Colt comes in and won't miss a beat. What a phenomenal QB to have as backup.
5.Nnamdi ....agree 100%.
6. Phil Dawson....baalke is amazing.
7. Woodson...agree, he'll probably be here after the draft. We probably won't be able to sign a top tier FS, but who is to say which of the 8 or 9 FSs in draft is best.
8. Summary so far: Ouch!. We have:
improved backup QB who is ready to go
improved dramatically the STs
improved over Soap( i hope)
acquired a 3rd down machine in Anquan
acquired a FS who virtually agreed to play for free if he doesn't make team...and he is hungry to get his rep back.
huge PK improvement, worth 9-12 guaranteed pts/game if needed.
acquired a high 2nd rd pick this yr and another in 2014
Marvin, we haven't even made it to draft yet (w/ 13 picks), and looking at above, I am mystified how you can think we are net negative. We gotta have two top tier DLs, and at #31 and 34, BPA will be two DLs. True we have to settle for a 2nd tier FS, but who is to say which FSs will be top tier?
9. Draft: Agreed, favorite time of yr as long as noln, erikson and B.M. are not HC. I like your two picks, altho i expect 2 DLs drafting BPA. Hunt is excellent, so are sly and jesse Williams. I love ertz at TE, but that is minor need compared to 2 DLs and FS. Fourth pick I honestly believe we go BPA OT, but board could change a lot with QBs being taken way above where they should have been. No idea who we take at #5, but another FS, TE, maybe WR, and then I think that is it. I believe baalke takes only 5 picks plus 3 comps( PK, and 2 true BPAs). Remaining 5 picks all go into pushing our 5 picks up the board. He could also bank roll 2 or 3 picks as upgrade into 2014.
10. Offseason Championship: I hope you are not whistling Dixie here. SEA IS vastly improved, and we are much improved. We catch up in the draft where they have no #1 ( or is it #2) pick, due to Harvin. It seems Marvin, that you aren't buying SEA is dramatically better than last yr. I sure hope you are right, but i suspect they are as much better as it seems. Last yr I thot their HC was a jackazz. Wrong. Like it or not he is very good, and I am afraid McCloughan has helped him a lot with talent.
I won't miss Dashon's dumb azz penalties, nor will i miss his "great coverage", yet he allowed the pass to be completed. And against Jacoby and Boldin, Goldson made good tackles, but didn't, to my recollection, break up any passes....good riddance.
Cheer up Marvin, we done good...maybe great with not much. FA has been pure Baalke, and once again he pulled rabbits out of hats
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 19, 2013 at 9:44 AM ]