There are 103 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Off-Season Post #1: Thoughts on the Off-Season so far (Pre-draft)...

1 co sign

2 He'll be replacing Soap for the most part and provide depth in the rotation. dude was a total monster at LSU so it's fair to say he hasn't lived up close to expectations. But he did stop the run playing DE not NT. Gonna be a difference. I like the signing and hopefully he'll get it done.

3 It's a one year rental, and 6 mill not really hurting the cap in my opinion. I don't need him to stretch the field per se I need him to make tough catches in tough spots. Just like he did in the playoffs. Put him in the slot. Stretch the field is the most overrated thing said on this site. It's not like Moss was out their making a lot of deep pass plays.

4 indifferent about this move really.

5 Well when another team is already paying you a few million you can do things like that. Hope he pans out tho. I like the move.

6 i can dig it

7 Market not changing for Woodson and he already knows it. Just depends on where he decides to go and for how cheap. I wouldn't mind him for a year grooming a draftee.

8/9 Agree. gonna be exciting this time next week.

10 f**k the Seahawks but i don't mind the media hype. Folks always crying bout east coast bias. Well now they trying to hype up the Seahawks/Niners rivalry. They signed some good players this off season. I hope folks are ready for every pre season power ranking to have them ranked number 1 in the league or at least ahead of the Niners. Don't go ballistic when folks pick them to win the division either. It's just what happens every year. Niners will dominate on the field.

11 good job
[ Edited by lamontb on Apr 18, 2013 at 12:10 PM ]
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Good stuff as usual, Marv.

I think you're a little harsh on Anquan Boldin. He was terrific in the playoffs, and obviously still has something left in the tank. And he's a fighter, a warrior. I can't think of a single WR to better go against the CBs in Seattle and their "tough guy" physical cheating . . . er, play. Boldin will make the other receivers better, too, cause defenses won't be able to focus so much on Crabs or VD.

The signing of Nnamdi is a virtually risk free gamble, and if it pays off, it may pay off really huge! I see him taking a starting CB role, and pushing someone to the bench or maybe to FS. And I think the secondary is gonna be different, and improved--more press coverage, which should allow for more ILB blitzing. And I agree with you about Woodson--maybe a later signing, but Baalke is a patient guy, like you said.

I do like Boldin. Don't get me wrong. The way its been billed tho....Seattle gets Harvin and Niners get Boldin. They are competing right? The moves aren't close to comparable.

Harvin will probably be the #1 in Seattle for the forseeable future. Boldin will probably be around for one year and be a good #2 or #3 option.

I'm not down on the move. I like Boldin...I just don't think it's as big a move as people have made it out to be.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Apr 18, 2013 at 11:40 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I do like Boldin. Don't get me wrong. The way its been billed tho....Seattle gets Harvin and Niners get Boldin. They are competing right? The moves aren't close to comparable.

Harvin will probably be the #1 in Seattle for the forseeable future. Boldin will probably be around for one year and be a good #2 or #3 option.

I'm not down on the move. I like Boldin...I just don't think it's as big a move as people have made it out to be.

Wel considering we didnt have much to compete with the physicality of the seahawks dbs we gain ground on the pick. I really think the Harvin pick up is being blown out of perportion. Everyone is really overexagurrating how great Harvin is. Harvin is good ill give him that but he is not nearly as great as he has been given credit for so far. To me Boldin is proven tried and tested, Harvin is not.

I think you're a little harsh on Anquan Boldin. He was terrific in the playoffs, and obviously still has something left in the tank. And he's a fighter, a warrior. I can't think of a single WR to better go against the CBs in Seattle and their "tough guy" physical cheating . . . er, play. Boldin will make the other receivers better, too, cause defenses won't be able to focus so much on Crabs or VD.

The signing of Nnamdi is a virtually risk free gamble, and if it pays off, it may pay off really huge! I see him taking a starting CB role, and pushing someone to the bench or maybe to FS. And I think the secondary is gonna be different, and improved--more press coverage, which should allow for more ILB blitzing. And I agree with you about Woodson--maybe a later signing, but Baalke is a patient guy, like you said.

I understand your point and your reluctance to get carried away.

But, again, I cannot think of a single WR better suited to go up against the physical cheating (aka "play") of the Seattle CBs, and to me that, by itself, makes it a great trade. Yes, Megatron, or Fitzgerald might be as effective, but they were not available. I'll take Boldin, even if its only for the next year, or three.

And to think that two years ago Asomugha was THE guy everyone pursued, and picking him up back then would have been considered a major coup, a fantastic addition, etc. So now the Niners got him for practically nothing, and I'm betting he's gonna be extremely motivated this season.

Add to these moves the fact that they cost the Niners very little, and I think the "negative" label placed on the offseason so far is a bit off. IMHO. Plus we added a pro bowl kicker, a DL who was a top five draft pick, and several well qualified ST players--seems like a pretty good offseason to me.

I understand your point and your reluctance to get carried away.

But, again, I cannot think of a single WR better suited to go up against the physical cheating (aka "play") of the Seattle CBs, and to me that, by itself, makes it a great trade. Yes, Megatron, or Fitzgerald might be as effective, but they were not available. I'll take Boldin, even if its only for the next year, or three.

And to think that two years ago Asomugha was THE guy everyone pursued, and picking him up back then would have been considered a major coup, a fantastic addition, etc. So now the Niners got him for practically nothing, and I'm betting he's gonna be extremely motivated this season.

Add to these moves the fact that they cost the Niners very little, and I think the "negative" label placed on the offseason so far is a bit off. IMHO. Plus we added a pro bowl kicker, a DL who was a top five draft pick, and several well qualified ST players--seems like a pretty good offseason to me.

To be clear....

When I say net negative, I simply mean that I think they are slightly worse right now than they were on Super Bowl Sunday. They are better at a few positions, but they have some holes to fill.

If they can get a Safety and a #2 TE in the draft then that grade changes.
To be clear....

When I say net negative, I simply mean that I think they are slightly worse right now than they were on Super Bowl Sunday. They are better at a few positions, but they have some holes to fill.

If they can get a Safety and a #2 TE in the draft then that grade changes.
I think they may have gotten a great prospect for the #2 TE in Cam Morrah. He's comparable in size and speed to Walker, and seems to have better hands.

Safety is still a question though, for sure.

Still, I think they're better today that they were on Super Bowl Sunday. Maybe not a huge improvement, but somewhat better.

I understand your position, and appreciate you making this thread for discussion. Your posts are always reasonable and interesting, even if I disagree with some small part of them occasionally.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Apr 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM ]

I have to disagree a bit here Marvin. I think Boldin stays for more than one year. I think he's here for 3 years. His biggest asset for the 49ers will be on 3rd down and in the RZ. Toss it up there, and he'll most likely come down with it. That has been a strength of his his entire career. He's big, strong, and has a wrestlers mentality. I can think of a TON of plays last year where it would have been awesome to have Boldin along with Crabs and VD.

Mark my words - 3rd down and RZ.

Other than that, Outstanding edition of the Marvthoirtah Report!
Originally posted by Beeker:
I have to disagree a bit here Marvin. I think Boldin stays for more than one year. I think he's here for 3 years. His biggest asset for the 49ers will be on 3rd down and in the RZ. Toss it up there, and he'll most likely come down with it. That has been a strength of his his entire career. He's big, strong, and has a wrestlers mentality. I can think of a TON of plays last year where it would have been awesome to have Boldin along with Crabs and VD.

I knew if i pestered him enough he would do one.
Originally posted by Beeker:

OK...if he's here for three years, at what price? 6 mil per? Is the #2 WR worth that? Does he have that much left?

I'd love to be wrong here BTW. I just don't think he's going to be huge. He'll contribute, but I'm not expecting a huge year from him.
OK...if he's here for three years, at what price? 6 mil per? Is the #2 WR worth that? Does he have that much left?

I'd love to be wrong here BTW. I just don't think he's going to be huge. He'll contribute, but I'm not expecting a huge year from him.
I think he'll renegotiate sometime soon--for a three or four year deal that cuts his salary this year but guarantees more overall. Say 3.5 to 4 million this year, and three more years for a total contract of $18 million, with $8 million of it guaranteed, and backload it so if he's gone in year 4 there's no dead money there.

And I hate to disagree with you again, but I think Boldin is going to have a huge year this year. Kaep is every bit as good at throwing the ball as Flacco, and found a way to develop chemistry with Crabs almost immediately. I see the same thing happening with Boldin, doubling the open targets for Kaep on passing downs this year.
Marvin, I've watched you fighting the good fight over in the Seahawk forums (I was banned for being a Niners troll, despite being the most reasonable and objective person there). Your analysis seems most excellent.

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=67383

http://www.seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65954
Spot on Marv as always

I think he'll renegotiate sometime soon--for a three or four year deal that cuts his salary this year but guarantees more overall. Say 3.5 to 4 million this year, and three more years for a total contract of $18 million, with $8 million of it guaranteed, and backload it so if he's gone in year 4 there's no dead money there.

And I hate to disagree with you again, but I think Boldin is going to have a huge year this year. Kaep is every bit as good at throwing the ball as Flacco, and found a way to develop chemistry with Crabs almost immediately. I see the same thing happening with Boldin, doubling the open targets for Kaep on passing downs this year.

I hope you're right...but I just don't see it.

Here's hoping I'm wrong!!

I hope you're right...but I just don't see it.

Here's hoping I'm wrong!!
Well, we know Boldin hasn't "lost a step" cause he wasn't that fast to begin with.

So he uses his size and route running ability to get open, and he still has the great hands, strength, and warrior mentality.

I can't think of any reason why he shouldn't be as good as he was last season, or even better, once he learns the Niner offense.

If he is as good as he was last year in Baltimore, that's a huge upgrade over what we had behind Crabtree last season.

Manningham is terrific, but seems really fragile. KW is good but small, and Moss was a help but ultimately too old and too focused on Moss.

I understand your caution about being too optimistic in the off season, but Boldin is a difference maker who only cost the Niners a 7th round pick. Hard not to be a little excited about him.
s**t Bolding was BY FAR the MVP of the playoffs. His regular season wasn't jaw dropping but he made up for it when it counted. Hopefully we can squeeze that same kind of production out of him.