There are 44 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cap space- how are we getting under for our rookies?

Not sure if this has been discussed yet; I'm wondering everyone's thoughts on the lack of cap space needed to sign the incoming rookie class?? Before signing Morrah, we has 1.1 million in cap space and I'd assume we'll need 5-6 million for actual number of rookies drafted. I know it's not a ton of space that has to be created (hell the cowboys got $20 million plus cleared) but I don't want to sacrifice long term success for short term roster flexibility.

I'm thinking a Justin smith extension would help and then looking at either/both Carlos Rogers and J Goodwin's deals as potential cuts. I could see some other smaller moves, but think these could be 2 more noticeable moves.

What are your thoughts on how they'll get under?
http://overthecap.com/rookie-pool-estimate.php

According to this we have 7million in our rookie pool
http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/3/22/4135366/49ers-salary-cap-rookie-pool-estimate-nfl-draft-2013
Don't wate time worrying about it.

They'll get it done and life will continue.
Thanks for the update on the pool, I get those numbers. I don't think we'll have 13 picks to equal 7-8 million, which is why I thought 5-6 million.

My understanding is that this pool isn't separate from the cap though, so we need to clear that amount to sign these rookies and remain under the cap. Am I mistaken?
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

this, not like its your money lol

Not really worried, just thinking that some "replacements" could factor into the draft and see these cuts happen as a result as well. Do we draft Jones from Alabama for example and cut Goodwin? Looking for others opinion on who might be a cap casualty.
Paraage Marathe the Niners captologist --didn't put aside any money under the cap to sign rookie draft picks.

Does this makes any sense to anyone...

OHZ NOZE!!! WE ARE ONLY 1.7 MIL UNDER THE CAP!...
Google rookie salary pool
The cap is only based on your top 51 contracts. Last year LaMichael James and AJ Jenkins combined for 1.2 mil against the cap.

We wont need more than 2 mil to sign our rookies because most of them wont count as our top 51
We've got some pretty sharp guys in the FO and they'll make it happen some how/way.
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

exactly
Originally posted by lamontb:

exactly

this is a forum, isnt this the things your supposed to talk about? nvm, i forgot this was niner talk, just bash players and glorify practice squad player.
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by lamontb:

exactly

this is a forum, isnt this the things your supposed to talk about? nvm, i forgot this was niner talk, just bash players and glorify practice squad player.

That's kind of exactly what I thought. Simply opening up a discussion point and told "don't worry about it", I'm not overly concerned just trying to get others ideas or thoughts.

IMO we need to be monitoring situations like this and while I'm 100% confident that they'll figure it out, I am wondering how you think they'll get there. This could have impact on team in next year or two. We have big extensions coming up and need space for rookies, someone's gotta go.
Seems like position competitions could still result in a few people getting released, including Goodwin.