There are 239 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My take on the next 2 offseasons

Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
AB,

Now that we're starting to get some of the contract numbers for A. Davis, what does our next few years look like, cap wise?

2014 is a bit heavy, about $21.9M in cap space right now with Davis' extension. I imagine they wont use much cap room in 2014 on any outside FAs, maybe extend Iupati or Crabs. Hopefully both.

2015 is where we have some cap room, $52.755M right now. Of course Rogers wont see the over $7M in salary.

2016 is $87.875M free right now.
looks like we should be in decent shape to extend these guys if they take less money in the early years of their contracts. kaep and aldon arent going anywhere but i would have to see iupati and crabs go. by 2015 gore, justin and some other vets ill be gone in place of some hopefully stud rookies and young players who will lighten the cap hit of some of these vets
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
AB,

Now that we're starting to get some of the contract numbers for A. Davis, what does our next few years look like, cap wise?

2014 is a bit heavy, about $21.9M in cap space right now with Davis' extension. I imagine they wont use much cap room in 2014 on any outside FAs, maybe extend Iupati or Crabs. Hopefully both.

2015 is where we have some cap room, $52.755M right now. Of course Rogers wont see the over $7M in salary.

looks like we should be in decent shape to extend these guys if they take less money in the early years of their contracts. kaep and aldon arent going anywhere but i would have to see iupati and crabs go. by 2015 gore, justin and some other vets ill be gone in place of some hopefully stud rookies and young players who will lighten the cap hit of some of these vets

I envision a similar deal for Iupati that Davis got. Same signing bonus, only roster bonuses instead of the weight clauses to reduce base salaries.

We will likely, if we keep all, will have to do so in 2 offseasons, to help cap wise.
AB,

I envision a similar deal for Iupati that Davis got. Same signing bonus, only roster bonuses instead of the weight clauses to reduce base salaries.

We will likely, if we keep all, will have to do so in 2 offseasons, to help cap wise.

i think theyll et it done, we have a young super talented team, if they keep em together it probably means multiple championships and that is worth the money
AB,

i think theyll et it done, we have a young super talented team, if they keep em together it probably means multiple championships and that is worth the money

I am confident we will get it done. Marathe and Baalke know how to structure the contracts the right way.
Also If you look at the structures, we have done this for the past 6 years or so. We did it with Vernon and Willis, both did get big signing bonuses, but they were and are among the best at their positions, we structured Alex Smith and Carlos Rogers' deals the right way. Andy Lee also. Bowman, Brooks and now A.Davis. I expect the same for Vernon and Willis again soon, they both need extensions to stay niners for life. As long as Iupati and Crabs want to stay, they will get deals similar deals.

I know outside links are ok, but check this link, hope Webby doesn't get too mad, I do write here. I looked at comps for Crabtree extension possibility.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/4/7/4192766/49ers-salary-cap-michael-crabtree-future-contract-comparisons

A little bit from the article.

Crabtree will likely look for contract terms in the range of what Vincent Jackson, Dwayne Bowe, Greg Jennings and Mike Wallace earned. I don't think Wallace will be an exact match, but I will look at his contract anyway.

Lets start with Vincent Jackson, who went from San Diego to Tampa Bay in the 2012 offseason. He was able to sign a then five-year deal, worth a weird amount of $55,555,555. It included $26 million guaranteed, including a first year roster bonus of $2 million. He also received guaranteed $12 million base salaries in 2012 and 2013. He later restructured his deal in order to provide the Buccaneers with extra cap space this offseason.

Next up is the Kansas City Chiefs re-signing of WR Dwayne Bowe. The Chiefs and Bowe agreed to a five-year contract worth $56 million, with a $15 million signing bonus. Bowe's guarantees include his 2013 base salary of $750,000, and a 2014 base salary of $8.75 million. He also has a guarantee for $1.75 million of his 2015 base salary, which is set at $10.75 million.

Next up is Greg Jennings, who went from Green Bay to Minnesota. He signed a five-year contract, worth $45 million. The deal included a $10 million signing bonus, and he also received guarantees on his first two years of base salaries, at $2.9 million and $4.9 million.

Finally, Mike Wallace. He signed a mega-deal with the Miami Dolphins, worth $60 million over five years. It included an $11 million signing bonus, along with guarantees on his first two years worth of base salaries at $1 million in 2013 and $15 million in 2014. He also gets $3 million in guaranteed money of his 2015 base salary of $9.85 million. This gives us a total of $30 million guaranteed.

There is no way the 49ers will cave and give Crabtree anywhere near what Wallace got. That contract is a nightmare for any team with a cap situation that is tight against a flat cap. I see more of a Jennings or Bowe type deal as being reasonable. I can see a $10 million signing bonus, plus some base salary guarantees. But I can't imagine a high amount in guarantees. The team won't do any deal that is not cap friendly.

Currently, Crabtree still has pro-rated bonuses due to him, around $2.529 million for 2013 and 2014. He can also receive $500,000 in roster bonuses tied into offseason workouts and per-game roster bonuses. Very complicated stuff.

No doubt that Crabtree is high on the 49ers wish list of getting extended, but whether they can get him to agree to a fair value and cap friendly deal is yet to be seen or known. Hopefully we find out soon.

[ Edited by AB83Rules on Apr 13, 2013 at 11:47 AM ]
i think its possible, but of all the people who could get away, i think crabs is the most likely one. still hope they can keep him but if it comes down to him and iupati id take iupati. having a solid line will make your qb look better and when your qb looks better your wr's look better. pats are a great example, brady makes scrubs look good because his oline is one of the best
The fact that every receiver mentioned has put up multiple 1,000 yard seasons while Crabs has one could possibly be used as leverage to keep him level headed maybe. So as long as Crabs accepts somewhere around 10 million a year could we sign all four of these players to long term deals? Aldon, Kaep, Iupati, and Crabs.
[ Edited by jvangeystel on Apr 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM ]