There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My take on the next 2 offseasons

Originally posted by NCommand:
We all need to make this post our desktop pic for quicker reference. LOL

I approve this message.
Originally posted by thl408:
Does anyone find it unorthodox that some of the high salaries on the 49ers belong to positions that a GM would not usually designate lots of cap space to? Right Tackle, inside LB (x2), TE, Punter. When I think of positions that GMs should set aside big money for, it'd be QB, LT, WR, OLB, DL, CB.

I understand some of the savings from such current cheap contracts to QB, LT allow for Baalke to spend more on ILBs and Ps, but soon it may bite him in the butt. When the QB and OLB (Aldon) want their pay, it will hurt to be paying the TE and P so much. When Iupati wants his pay, the RT's contract might not allow that. Just wondering what you guys thought about this.

I think we put a high value on those with long term contracts. guys like Willis, Bowman, Staley, Davis, Vernon, Lee are all among the best at their positions, so that's a big reason to pay them like they deserve to be paid.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by NCommand:
We all need to make this post our desktop pic for quicker reference. LOL

I approve this message.

As do i AB helluva job once again bro! Yrs coming look to have good amount of money to sign our main stays. Bearing of course not all will break the bank to be pais top of their position played! Still well deserved pays tho. While filling depth with draft picks n free agent rentals. We seem to be looking pretty good. Some have spoke recently of justin retiring? Id like us to extend him! He is gonna come back with a vengence, he n aldon are men among men! What kinda contract do ya see justin gettin if resigned or well extended! He wants to win, last 2 yrs we have had much success
Does anyone find it unorthodox that some of the high salaries on the 49ers belong to positions that a GM would not usually designate lots of cap space to? Right Tackle, inside LB (x2), TE, Punter. When I think of positions that GMs should set aside big money for, it'd be QB, LT, WR, OLB, DL, CB.

I understand some of the savings from such current cheap contracts to QB, LT allow for Baalke to spend more on ILBs and Ps, but soon it may bite him in the butt. When the QB and OLB (Aldon) want their pay, it will hurt to be paying the TE and P so much. When Iupati wants his pay, the RT's contract might not allow that. Just wondering what you guys thought about this.

I think we put a high value on those with long term contracts. guys like Willis, Bowman, Staley, Davis, Vernon, Lee are all among the best at their positions, so that's a big reason to pay them like they deserve to be paid.

This, add on both our ilb can cover as well, and play sideline to sideline! Big verns capable of record setting seasons, we tend to spread it around, mixture of pass and run! Come playoffs vernon smashes apponents! Lee can put em on the 10 any given time. High value, and staley probowl tackle all worth the loot!
AB,

Now that we're starting to get some of the contract numbers for A. Davis, what does our next few years look like, cap wise?

I see where you are going and I differ. More can come later, but one point is this: if teams can't run on us, then they are forced to be one dimentional, and that makes our CBs look better (more expensive) then they are. Food for thought though.
[ Edited by tulliman on Apr 10, 2013 at 3:36 PM ]
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Iupati and Crabtree are going to be hard to resign.
Originally posted by GORO:

Agreed, Iupati might want to land a Steve Hutchinson type contract but at todays market rates, and Crabtree... well we all know he will want minimum 10+ mil/year. If he continues his jedi mind link with Kap for 16 games, he will probably get it too but maybe not from the niners.
Perhaps they should let Andy Lee go since the 49ers won't be punting very much with Kap at the helm.
Perhaps they should let Andy Lee go since the 49ers won't be punting very much with Kap at the helm.

Special teams is really, really important. Field position, man, and Lee gives it to us every time.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
AB,

Now that we're starting to get some of the contract numbers for A. Davis, what does our next few years look like, cap wise?

2014 is a bit heavy, about $21.9M in cap space right now with Davis' extension. I imagine they wont use much cap room in 2014 on any outside FAs, maybe extend Iupati or Crabs. Hopefully both.

2015 is where we have some cap room, $52.755M right now. Of course Rogers wont see the over $7M in salary.

2016 is $87.875M free right now.
Once again, AB provides the cap facts, just the facts baby
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
AB,

2014 is a bit heavy, about $21.9M in cap space right now with Davis' extension. I imagine they wont use much cap room in 2014 on any outside FAs, maybe extend Iupati or Crabs. Hopefully both.

2015 is where we have some cap room, $52.755M right now. Of course Rogers wont see the over $7M in salary.

2016 is $87.875M free right now.

Does that include an Aldon extension? I just dont see how this team can pay top dollar for Smith, Iupati, and Crabs. Granted we will get a hometown discount but the cap just wont fit it.
What it sounds like to me is that barring one of our current young stars overvaluing himself (Crabtree most likely) we have the ability to retain them all. Would that mean we would have the next 3 years to find long term starters for our d-backfield, d-line, and fresh legged offensive weapons? If this is what happens we can have a elite player at almost every position.

Will Crabs accept and can we pay him middle of the pack WR money?
Can we pay Iupati, Kaep, Aldon and Crabs #1 type money? It seems to me as long as we build strictly through the draft and low cost FA, we can.
IDK what do you think AB?

Originally posted by 5280High:

Agreed, Iupati might want to land a Steve Hutchinson type contract but at todays market rates, and Crabtree... well we all know he will want minimum 10+ mil/year. If he continues his jedi mind link with Kap for 16 games, he will probably get it too but maybe not from the niners.

Crabtree has previous in this regard but not sure why Iupati is being included.