[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM ]
There are 747 users in the forums
Will we platoon at FS? ...or will we find a starting Free Safety in the Draft?
Apr 5, 2013 at 11:06 AM
- qnnhan7
- Veteran
- Posts: 35,190
Fangio likes to have pressure upfront since his days with the Saints. I think he would want Baalke to draft another guy up front for more pressure on the qb. I don't think it will be a FS in the first round. Maybe in the 2nd or lower rounds for a FS.
Apr 5, 2013 at 11:09 AM
- LoneWolf
- Veteran
- Posts: 7,064
Originally posted by 60sfan:So you think he is comparable to Earl Thomas?
In size its possible skill cant be judged yet because we havent really seen him play.
Apr 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM
- mebemused
- Veteran
- Posts: 2,027
Rob Rang isn't impressed by Reid's coverage skills. Likes him more as a SS. He thinks Reid's coverage shortcomings were covered up by all the talented players on the LSU defense.
If Trent Robinson can be a starting FS after being picked at #180, than kudos to Baalke and the coaching staff.
If Trent Robinson can be a starting FS after being picked at #180, than kudos to Baalke and the coaching staff.
Apr 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM
- 49erRider
- Veteran
- Posts: 7,508
Originally posted by 60sfan:Originally posted by blm7754:Trenton Robinson was drafted in 2012 to replace Goldson in 2013. He will be our starter. Dahl was signed to provide competition, depth, and special teams assistance. But this is Robinson's job, and I believe he will come out on top.
He is only 5' 9 1/2". Are you sure?
Did they know he was 5' 9 1/2" when they drafted him?
Someone should let Baalke know.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Apr 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM ]
Apr 11, 2013 at 9:29 PM
- pasodoc9er
- Veteran
- Posts: 21,040
qnnhan, if we get a mid 2nd rd S, i don't think we improve on what we have. I think we take two DL starters at 31 and 34, but our FS is going to have to be #15-20, if we want a REAL FS. I think of our 10 non comp picks, trent drafts only 5, all moved up with 5 other draft picks and all pretty much in rd 2. With his 3 comp picks, his total picks come to 8. Of those 4 guys make the squad, and 3, maybe all 4 start. That would be one heckuva draft...but that is a tall order.
Apr 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM
- pdizo916
- Member
- Posts: 38,241
Originally posted by blm7754:
Trenton Robinson was drafted in 2012 to replace Goldson in 2013. He will be our starter. Dahl was signed to provide competition, depth, and special teams assistance. But this is Robinson's job, and I believe he will come out on top.
truth....
Apr 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM
- toppdogg32
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,796
looking like a draft..Witner, Dahl, and Spillman lock up the SS position this year, with Dahl playing FS as well. We can/should/will draft 2 guys at Safety (1 to start now, 1 to start next yr.)..
Apr 12, 2013 at 9:55 AM
- baltien
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,731
Originally posted by 49erRider:Originally posted by 60sfan:Originally posted by blm7754:Trenton Robinson was drafted in 2012 to replace Goldson in 2013. He will be our starter. Dahl was signed to provide competition, depth, and special teams assistance. But this is Robinson's job, and I believe he will come out on top.
He is only 5' 9 1/2". Are you sure?
Did they know he was 5' 9 1/2" when they drafted him?
Someone should let Baalke know.
To expand on that, Troy Polamalu is only 5'10. Ed Reed is 5'11. Neither of them seemed to have a problem holding down safety.
Not a plug for Robinson, just saying that with the right skill set it can be done.
[ Edited by baltien on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM ]
Apr 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM
- Overkill
- Moderator
- Posts: 11,944
Please god let us find a starter in the draft.
Apr 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM
- toppdogg32
- Veteran
- Posts: 6,796
Robinson couldnt even get on the field last yr. over guys like Mc. Bath, is small (height and weight), and wasnt a physical guy in college. I see him as depth and/or a potential cut.
Apr 12, 2013 at 10:22 AM
- GEEK
- Veteran
- Posts: 19,431
R1: Eric Reid - S - LSU
R2: David Amerson - CB/S - NC State (via Chiefs)
Dime Formations:
CB: Nnamdi
CB: Brown
CB: Culliver
CB: Rogers
FS: Amerson
SS: Reid/Whiter
R2: David Amerson - CB/S - NC State (via Chiefs)
Dime Formations:
CB: Nnamdi
CB: Brown
CB: Culliver
CB: Rogers
FS: Amerson
SS: Reid/Whiter
Apr 12, 2013 at 12:27 PM
- DRUSTOPO
- Veteran
- Posts: 586
I have a bit of a crazy idea, not sure if it's been discussed on another thread. What if the answer to your question is both...
I think Cyprein's draft slot is a little overinflated, as stated by ex scout, Bucky Brooks =
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000159382/article/tavon-austin-star-lotulelei-top-nfl-drafts-overrated-prospects
So he may be available in the 2nd round. My personal preference is getting Eric Reid at 31. I think he has it all...big, fast and strong. Plus he was the leader of that LSU defense ( you know our FO loves team leaders and players who perform in college, especially in a division like the SEC ). Reid can cover ground and deliver the killer hit. With 2 draft picks around the same time, what if we drafted Reid at 31, and then at 34, drafted Cyprein? That would give us great depth to not only see who can earn the starting FS spot, but also spell Whitner in Dime. Plus since this is Whitners last year, you groom the FS "loser" to become your SS for next year. Having Whitner there to mentor both guys for a year will put us way ahead of the curve. Then next year, we have a Safety tandem that is pretty interchangable with cover and run support skills. It just seem too good to not happen. We would turn a weakness into a massive strength.
Then with our 2nd , 2nd rounder, nab a DT ( like John Jenkins ) and then a TE like Kelce or McDonald in round 3? I know its far fetched and has little or no chance of happening, but that would be pretty interesting. I still think we grab one of those S prospects at 31 or 34, then nab a Rambo or Duke Williams later to groom.
This draft can't come fast enough!
I think Cyprein's draft slot is a little overinflated, as stated by ex scout, Bucky Brooks =
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000159382/article/tavon-austin-star-lotulelei-top-nfl-drafts-overrated-prospects
So he may be available in the 2nd round. My personal preference is getting Eric Reid at 31. I think he has it all...big, fast and strong. Plus he was the leader of that LSU defense ( you know our FO loves team leaders and players who perform in college, especially in a division like the SEC ). Reid can cover ground and deliver the killer hit. With 2 draft picks around the same time, what if we drafted Reid at 31, and then at 34, drafted Cyprein? That would give us great depth to not only see who can earn the starting FS spot, but also spell Whitner in Dime. Plus since this is Whitners last year, you groom the FS "loser" to become your SS for next year. Having Whitner there to mentor both guys for a year will put us way ahead of the curve. Then next year, we have a Safety tandem that is pretty interchangable with cover and run support skills. It just seem too good to not happen. We would turn a weakness into a massive strength.
Then with our 2nd , 2nd rounder, nab a DT ( like John Jenkins ) and then a TE like Kelce or McDonald in round 3? I know its far fetched and has little or no chance of happening, but that would be pretty interesting. I still think we grab one of those S prospects at 31 or 34, then nab a Rambo or Duke Williams later to groom.
This draft can't come fast enough!
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM ]
Apr 12, 2013 at 12:30 PM
- Marvin49
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 16,506
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I think it will be either Cyprien or Reid, depending on who we draft of course
Agreed. I really like Cyprien in particular.
So.....I guess that means it won't be him since they never take the guy I think they'll take.
Apr 12, 2013 at 1:34 PM
- NCommand
- Hall of Fame
- Posts: 123,365
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I think it will be either Cyprien or Reid, depending on who we draft of course
Agreed. I really like Cyprien in particular.
So.....I guess that means it won't be him since they never take the guy I think they'll take.
LOL! http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/04/12/aldon-a-j-who-will-be-the-49ers-next-first-round-surprise/
Apr 12, 2013 at 2:28 PM
- SSF49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 101
? CULLIVER he was a safety in college and draft Darius Slay 61 and Swearinger in the 3rd round