There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will we platoon at FS? ...or will we find a starting Free Safety in the Draft?

Fangio likes to have pressure upfront since his days with the Saints. I think he would want Baalke to draft another guy up front for more pressure on the qb. I don't think it will be a FS in the first round. Maybe in the 2nd or lower rounds for a FS.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM ]
Originally posted by 60sfan:
So you think he is comparable to Earl Thomas?

In size its possible skill cant be judged yet because we havent really seen him play.
Rob Rang isn't impressed by Reid's coverage skills. Likes him more as a SS. He thinks Reid's coverage shortcomings were covered up by all the talented players on the LSU defense.

If Trent Robinson can be a starting FS after being picked at #180, than kudos to Baalke and the coaching staff.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Trenton Robinson was drafted in 2012 to replace Goldson in 2013. He will be our starter. Dahl was signed to provide competition, depth, and special teams assistance. But this is Robinson's job, and I believe he will come out on top.

He is only 5' 9 1/2". Are you sure?

Did they know he was 5' 9 1/2" when they drafted him?

Someone should let Baalke know.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Apr 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM ]
qnnhan, if we get a mid 2nd rd S, i don't think we improve on what we have. I think we take two DL starters at 31 and 34, but our FS is going to have to be #15-20, if we want a REAL FS. I think of our 10 non comp picks, trent drafts only 5, all moved up with 5 other draft picks and all pretty much in rd 2. With his 3 comp picks, his total picks come to 8. Of those 4 guys make the squad, and 3, maybe all 4 start. That would be one heckuva draft...but that is a tall order.
Trenton Robinson was drafted in 2012 to replace Goldson in 2013. He will be our starter. Dahl was signed to provide competition, depth, and special teams assistance. But this is Robinson's job, and I believe he will come out on top.

truth....
looking like a draft..Witner, Dahl, and Spillman lock up the SS position this year, with Dahl playing FS as well. We can/should/will draft 2 guys at Safety (1 to start now, 1 to start next yr.)..
Originally posted by 49erRider:

He is only 5' 9 1/2". Are you sure?

Did they know he was 5' 9 1/2" when they drafted him?

Someone should let Baalke know.

To expand on that, Troy Polamalu is only 5'10. Ed Reed is 5'11. Neither of them seemed to have a problem holding down safety.

Not a plug for Robinson, just saying that with the right skill set it can be done.
[ Edited by baltien on Apr 12, 2013 at 9:56 AM ]
Please god let us find a starter in the draft.
Robinson couldnt even get on the field last yr. over guys like Mc. Bath, is small (height and weight), and wasnt a physical guy in college. I see him as depth and/or a potential cut.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
R1: Eric Reid - S - LSU
R2: David Amerson - CB/S - NC State (via Chiefs)

Dime Formations:

CB: Nnamdi
CB: Brown
CB: Culliver
CB: Rogers
FS: Amerson
SS: Reid/Whiter
I have a bit of a crazy idea, not sure if it's been discussed on another thread. What if the answer to your question is both...

I think Cyprein's draft slot is a little overinflated, as stated by ex scout, Bucky Brooks =

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000159382/article/tavon-austin-star-lotulelei-top-nfl-drafts-overrated-prospects

So he may be available in the 2nd round. My personal preference is getting Eric Reid at 31. I think he has it all...big, fast and strong. Plus he was the leader of that LSU defense ( you know our FO loves team leaders and players who perform in college, especially in a division like the SEC ). Reid can cover ground and deliver the killer hit. With 2 draft picks around the same time, what if we drafted Reid at 31, and then at 34, drafted Cyprein? That would give us great depth to not only see who can earn the starting FS spot, but also spell Whitner in Dime. Plus since this is Whitners last year, you groom the FS "loser" to become your SS for next year. Having Whitner there to mentor both guys for a year will put us way ahead of the curve. Then next year, we have a Safety tandem that is pretty interchangable with cover and run support skills. It just seem too good to not happen. We would turn a weakness into a massive strength.

Then with our 2nd , 2nd rounder, nab a DT ( like John Jenkins ) and then a TE like Kelce or McDonald in round 3? I know its far fetched and has little or no chance of happening, but that would be pretty interesting. I still think we grab one of those S prospects at 31 or 34, then nab a Rambo or Duke Williams later to groom.

This draft can't come fast enough!
[ Edited by DRUSTOPO on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:29 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I think it will be either Cyprien or Reid, depending on who we draft of course

Agreed. I really like Cyprien in particular.

So.....I guess that means it won't be him since they never take the guy I think they'll take.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
I think it will be either Cyprien or Reid, depending on who we draft of course

Agreed. I really like Cyprien in particular.

So.....I guess that means it won't be him since they never take the guy I think they'll take.

LOL! http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2013/04/12/aldon-a-j-who-will-be-the-49ers-next-first-round-surprise/
? CULLIVER he was a safety in college and draft Darius Slay 61 and Swearinger in the 3rd round