There are 215 users in the forums

Will we platoon at FS? ...or will we find a starting Free Safety in the Draft?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Dahl , Robinson , McBath, Spillman ....these guys are all solid special team players, but do any of them have the potential to be the starting FS on the 49ers defense?

I'm sure our defense could get by with a platoon at FS , but do we really want to do that? ....we have the draft picks to move around and get in position to draft our starting FS of the future ....and we will be forced to release one or two of the safeties on our roster .....I'm thinking Dahl and Spillman have the best chance of sticking around due to their strong special teams play , unless Robinson and McBath pull a Anthony Dixon, and play well enough in pre season to earn a spot on the roster

whats your thoughts 49ers fans
if we cant get a true no1 then we just have a bunch of back ups. dont want a fs who cant do it all
Dahl would be a better suit for SS (smart, leader, physical, can have the dot on his helmet, etc.) and would he give up 14 TD's in one year like Whitner. Whitner "could" also be cut and save 4.1M in salary this year. Will the FO make that call? They may have to but it would have to be a calculated risk.

As to FS, I'm curious to see what Spillman, Robinson have in competition with a very highly drafted FS as well. We desperately need a FS with speed/range who is smart, tall and who can really help our CB's over-the-top.

These two pieces IMHO can help Fangio scheme change to using Willis/Bowman/Brooks less in underneath coverage and play down hill...and attack the QB. We need a taller FS or SS to match up against all the tall TE's and WR's we face in the RZ/EZ.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
they will draft a very very high pick,, they may even get a mid round safety,. they will throw everyone in a pot and let them fight it out. i believe the highly drafted rookie i spoke of will start opening day and i believe the new whipping boy on the zone in dahl will be more than a respectable back up for both strong and free safty. whoever else emerges from the in squad competition stays and better be darn good on special teams
Platoons don't happen often. Don't see it happening here.
Rest assured that Dahl is the Starter at Free Safety.
This is not baseball where you go righty/lefty depending on the opponent................of course they are going to draft their starting free safety.
Trenton Robinson was drafted in 2012 to replace Goldson in 2013. He will be our starter. Dahl was signed to provide competition, depth, and special teams assistance. But this is Robinson's job, and I believe he will come out on top.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
Trenton Robinson was drafted in 2012 to replace Goldson in 2013. He will be our starter. Dahl was signed to provide competition, depth, and special teams assistance. But this is Robinson's job, and I believe he will come out on top.
wow, that is outside the box! please do not misunderstand me cuz i am not making fun of your theory on trenton . i tend to think we will get a hot shot rookie with our first two picks and that is who will start but either way it will be very very fun to see them battle it out. your comments on the new whipping boy on the zone in dahl are also spot on

He is only 5' 9 1/2". Are you sure?

Don't count out spillman. He did play in our goal line package. I think its between Robinson and Spillman
Originally posted by 60sfan:

How tall is Earl Thomas?
I think it will be either Cyprien or Reid, depending on who we draft of course
Originally posted by 49ers808:
How tall is Earl Thomas?

I think he looks up to russell wilson if that says anything
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by 60sfan:

How tall is Earl Thomas?

So you think he is comparable to Earl Thomas?
Share 49ersWebzone