LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Baalke's Free-Agent Off Season Shopping...........DONE?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Baalke's Free-Agent Off Season Shopping...........DONE?

Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by Mann716:
Asomugha at safety??? c'mon man!

Why?

I can kind of see that... Not saying he will play it for us, but I could see him or Cully trying that.

On a sidenote, the hate on Cully is somewhat unjustified. I know he got embarrased during the Superbowl (and week leading up to it which may have affected him), but he had a good year and playoffs up to that point. Its odd how everyone is dimissing him now. I see him as having "good starter" potential. I hope he learns from the Superbowl and comes back this year with something to prove.

Funny how nobody mentioned how there was NO safety help for Culliver on the two big pass plays (including the Jones TD). Yet Goldson was nowhere to be found on the hail mary and a year late on the Jones TD (and still missed the tackle) and Whitner gave up two TD's himself. Yet it's Culliver's fault 100% against Boldin/Jones?

Give us ONE FS who has speed and range and who can help CB's over the top esp. along the sidelines and watch what happens!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I hope we sign Richard Seymour for two years... the, I can say that our FA shopping is done and complete!!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
I hope we sign Richard Seymour for two years... the, I can say that our FA shopping is done and complete!!

This would be nice. However, he would have to work on a deal that helps the Niners out more than his own pockets.

IMO, I believe they'll go after one more vet to shore up the D-Line. It would be great if the Niners snag Seymour, Abraham or Idonije.
Still think we get Woodson. He wants to end his career with a ring, PLUS he'll want to prove he's still in form. If we can get him with an incentive laden contract (ala Nnamdi), he could be a great replacement for Goldson and serve as a mentor for our future safety-to-be.

Both Nnamdi and Woodson went underground after they met with us. Wouldnt be surprised if Baalke gave CW an offer he cant refuse.

Yea seriously, he will probably be cheap by now too
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Still think we get Woodson. He wants to end his career with a ring, PLUS he'll want to prove he's still in form. If we can get him with an incentive laden contract (ala Nnamdi), he could be a great replacement for Goldson and serve as a mentor for our future safety-to-be.

Both Nnamdi and Woodson went underground after they met with us. Wouldnt be surprised if Baalke gave CW an offer he cant refuse.

would not be surprised if the reason woodson went underground is cuz people think he can no longer play the game. i think he has proven to the niners he is not in form or at least the form they want. i would not be shocked if he does not play next year for anyone
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
excuse me but where are you going to get the money to do these things when i think we only have a titch over a couple of million left and still have lots of rookies to sign,, we already had two guys take pay cuts in order to A stay on the team and B help us sign boldin. i am sorry but the tit has run dry. AB may be able to tell us more about this
Good question. I suppose it depends on Rogers price/do we think he can/will play free safety in our system?
I honestly think Nnamdi gives us more than just depth at CB, I feel like him or Culliver will at least try out at FS. With that said I think we sign a pass rusher like Seymour, Abraham or some other vet b4 the draft. we'll def make some internal moves to free up cap space which to me means extending guys like J.Smith and lowering their cap #. I wouldn't be surprised to see Boldin, Goodwin and even Whitner redo their deals that includes extensions with little to no guaranteed money after this year giving us flexibility going into the next couple off seasons. then look for at least a couple extensions to guys like A.Davis, Iupati, T. Brown and maybe even Crabtree to clear up our long term cap situation as we look into what it's going to be like getting Aldon and Colin extended.
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:

would not be surprised if the reason woodson went underground is cuz people think he can no longer play the game. i think he has proven to the niners he is not in form or at least the form they want. i would not be shocked if he does not play next year for anyone

Nah. He has enough on his resume that he'll land a spot somewhere next season. But I do agree that his game has diminished, and he's goping to have to reduce his asking price. I think the biggest advantage we have is that we're a bonified contender in the NFC, and Woodson might just cut back enough (ala Nnamdi) to get another shot at a SB ring.

I dont care either way, but my gut tells me that Woodson will be donning a Niners uniform this season.

Originally posted by Wubbie:
I would think that he's done signing anyone that will challenge for a starting role. If he signs anyone else, they'll be bit players who can rotate in, play special teams, or fill in if a guy gets injured.

Our roster is possibly weaker than last year, but a full off-season under Kaepernick at the helm will probably even things out. With 13 picks, we'll be able to fill out any holes we have and set ourselves up for the next 4 years or so.

A replacement for Goldson is the only NEED, IMO. Meanwhile, an heir to Justin Smith, and potential replacements for guys we might lose in free agency next year, are other targeted positions as well.

I'm not sure how our roster can be weaker then last year.

Let's see the only key player we lost was Goldson. Issac and RJF were effectively replaced by Ian and Dorsey, in addition we still have the draft. Likewise, our other major loss was Walker, but I think he can be replaced in about every aspect other than his elite blocking by Celek or a draft pick.

But we upgraded with Boldin over Moss, Dawson over Akers (huge upgrade), and Nnamdi. We added a solid backup QB, while we are probably slightly down here Alex was an expensive insurance policy and we got 2 early picks for him. We also added a few special teams starts to upgrade another problem area for us. And we still have 13 picks to do damage.

While losing your starting FS, 2nd TE are big losses, I think will be fine. Boldin is a huge upgrade. We will get MM back and Hunter back and AKERS IS GONE. Justin and Aldon will be healthy. I'm not sure what's not to like. The rest of our team is in tact.

While we are at it, I wouldn't mind find a way to restructure Justin, Goodwin, Gore, and Rogers. Goodwin is getting paid too much (Kilgore or Looney?). Gore is getting 6.5M as a 30 year old RB. And Rogers' deal was just too big. I want to lock up Justin on the cheap and till he retires as well.

I really like what we've done and we still have at minimum 13 more plays due to the draft where we can bolster our roster AND our 2014 draft. This is just TOO SWEET.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Funny how nobody mentioned how there was NO safety help for Culliver on the two big pass plays (including the Jones TD). Yet Goldson was nowhere to be found on the hail mary and a year late on the Jones TD (and still missed the tackle) and Whitner gave up two TD's himself. Yet it's Culliver's fault 100% against Boldin/Jones?

Give us ONE FS who has speed and range and who can help CB's over the top esp. along the sidelines and watch what happens!
Excellent point!

think they're going to try for one of the faster, taller, rangier FS's in the draft. Reid, or Thomas, maybe.

We're going to see a different defensive backfield next year, better at coverage and not as prone to mistakes and giving up big plays. IMHO. .
Originally posted by capone0:
I'm not sure how our roster can be weaker then last year.

Let's see the only key player we lost was Goldson. Issac and RJF were effectively replaced by Ian and Dorsey, in addition we still have the draft. Likewise, our other major loss was Walker, but I think he can be replaced in about every aspect other than his elite blocking by Celek or a draft pick.

But we upgraded with Boldin over Moss, Dawson over Akers (huge upgrade), and Nnamdi. We added a solid backup QB, while we are probably slightly down here Alex was an expensive insurance policy and we got 2 early picks for him. We also added a few special teams starts to upgrade another problem area for us. And we still have 13 picks to do damage.

While losing your starting FS, 2nd TE are big losses, I think will be fine. Boldin is a huge upgrade. We will get MM back and Hunter back and AKERS IS GONE. Justin and Aldon will be healthy. I'm not sure what's not to like. The rest of our team is in tact.

While we are at it, I wouldn't mind find a way to restructure Justin, Goodwin, Gore, and Rogers. Goodwin is getting paid too much (Kilgore or Looney?). Gore is getting 6.5M as a 30 year old RB. And Rogers' deal was just too big. I want to lock up Justin on the cheap and till he retires as well.

I really like what we've done and we still have at minimum 13 more plays due to the draft where we can bolster our roster AND our 2014 draft. This is just TOO SWEET.
Good post!
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Originally posted by NCommand:

Excellent point!

think they're going to try for one of the faster, taller, rangier FS's in the draft. Reid, or Thomas, maybe.

We're going to see a different defensive backfield next year, better at coverage and not as prone to mistakes and giving up big plays. IMHO. .

I just hope we don't lose in the 1 critical area that made our defense so special (aside from our 2 ILBs never coming off the field), our team tackling. Everyone on our defense from the DL to the DBs were sure tacklers. In an effort to secure better cover men in our secondary, I hope we retain our tackling prowess because it helped out our run defense and we basically eliminated YAC no matter the receiver. This was a hallmark of our defense
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
I just hope we don't lose in the 1 critical area that made our defense so special (aside from our 2 ILBs never coming off the field), our team tackling. Everyone on our defense from the DL to the DBs were sure tacklers. In an effort to secure better cover men in our secondary, I hope we retain our tackling prowess because it helped out our run defense and we basically eliminated YAC no matter the receiver. This was a hallmark of our defense
I don't think that's a concern as long as that Willis and Bowman duo is on the field!

Really, when I think back on it, it seems to me that the guy who missed tackles at the worst times was . . . Goldson. Seems like he was too intent on delivering that big hit and took really bad angles sometimes. And he could always be counted on for a penalty at a bad time.

Some of his big hits were memorable, but I think the Niners can find a better, more dependable and consistent FS--who can give more help to the CBs, help cover TEs, and make sure tackles when necessary. Surely one of the many safetys available in the draft this year has the speed, size, range, coverage ability, and smarts to fill that need.
Share 49ersWebzone