LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 348 users in the forums

Baalke's Free-Agent Off Season Shopping...........DONE?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Baalke's Free-Agent Off Season Shopping...........DONE?

With the recent acquisitions of a backup QB (McCoy) and a starting safety (Asomugha), is Baalke done addressing the team's needs through the free agent market?

Names like Woodson, Abraham, and Freeney are still out there. There is probably a wait factor to see if their signing value will drop. Woodson has been the most linked to us. There is a story out there that it won't be till August,where the remaining big names still out will make a final decision.

A name like Israel Idonije may still be considered to address the DE issue.

Then with all those draft picks Baalke have in his possession, he may just go ahead and address the needs there and close the book on free agent signings.

Is he done with the market?
[ Edited by robniner on Apr 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM ]
No more money. Concerned how we're going to sign draftees at this point.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
hope so, should be, i think we only have a couple million left against the salary cap. lets just stop and take care of the rest in the draft please
I would think that he's done signing anyone that will challenge for a starting role. If he signs anyone else, they'll be bit players who can rotate in, play special teams, or fill in if a guy gets injured.

Our roster is possibly weaker than last year, but a full off-season under Kaepernick at the helm will probably even things out. With 13 picks, we'll be able to fill out any holes we have and set ourselves up for the next 4 years or so.

A replacement for Goldson is the only NEED, IMO. Meanwhile, an heir to Justin Smith, and potential replacements for guys we might lose in free agency next year, are other targeted positions as well.
Baalke has a plan and I trust him enough to wait and see it through!
  • fip24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
No more money. Concerned how we're going to sign draftees at this point.

I'm assuming Trent already has an extension done w/ Justin Smith that will provide more flexibility. I don't know all of the ins and outs of the cap but maybe there is a reason to announce after 6/1
Originally posted by robniner:
With the recent acquisitions of a backup QB (McCoy) and a starting safety (Asmougha), is Baalke done addressing the team's needs through the free agent market?

Names like Woodson, Abraham, and Freeney are still out there. There is probably a wait factor to see if their signing value will drop. Woodson has been the most linked to us. There is a story out there that it won't be till August,where the remaining big names still out will make a final decision.

Then with all those draft picks Baalke have in his possession, he may just go ahead and address the needs there and close the book on free agent signings.

huh?
Baalke is like a great chess master - he's 4-5 moves ahead of where people expect him to be.

I don't forsee any more FA signings UNLESS someone special becomes available.

I also like the guy from Bears Idonije as a rotational DE.
  • buck
  • Veteran
With the recent acquisitions of a backup QB (McCoy) and a starting safety (Asmougha), is Baalke done addressing the team's needs through the free agent market?

and a starting safety (Asmougha)
Originally posted by buck:

and a starting safety (Asmougha)

The oddest part about it, is the fact that a safety is essentially playing in a zone most of the time. Asomugha struggles that last two years have been BECAUSE he was playing in a zone.
So you don't fix those problems by putting him in an even more uncomfortable role.

• sfout
  • Veteran
Asomugha is not going to be our starting free safety.....wow...
Woodson will train our new FS
Originally posted by tohara3:
Baalke has a plan and I trust him enough to wait and see it through!

agreed, if only more fans trusted our amazing front office.
Asomugha at safety??? c'mon man!
Originally posted by Mann716:
Asomugha at safety??? c'mon man!

Why?

I can kind of see that... Not saying he will play it for us, but I could see him or Cully trying that.

On a sidenote, the hate on Cully is somewhat unjustified. I know he got embarrased during the Superbowl (and week leading up to it which may have affected him), but he had a good year and playoffs up to that point. Its odd how everyone is dimissing him now. I see him as having "good starter" potential. I hope he learns from the Superbowl and comes back this year with something to prove.
Share 49ersWebzone