LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Are the 49ers a top five franchise in NFL history?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Again, you have to look at 16 straight years of 10 wins or more spanning multiple coaches and almost completely different rosters. No team in the modern or pre-Super Bowl history of the NFL has ever had a sustained record of success like that. Add that to their second-best winning record in modern Super Bowl championships and they absolutely have to be in the top five if not number one.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
In the modern era, the only way to answer that question is Super Bowl records and here's the top five:

1. Steelers - 6-2
2. Niners - 5-1
3. Cowboys - 5-3
4. Packers - 4-1
5. Giants - 4-1

True; however, I'm trying to factor in the pre superbowl era. It may be hard to do though....

Per Super Bowl era is garbage. How many teams were there when the Bears won their championships?

And the Super Bowl trophy is named after the Packers coach because they won the first two. That's also why it's called title town.

The top three franchises should be Pittsburgh, SF and Dallas. This is not me being biased, because I would have found some sort of way to exclude Dallas if that were the case.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Per Super Bowl era is garbage. How many teams were there when the Bears won their championships?

And the Super Bowl trophy is named after the Packers coach because they won the first two. That's also why it's called title town.

The top three franchises should be Pittsburgh, SF and Dallas. This is not me being biased, because I would have found some sort of way to exclude Dallas if that were the case.

Would you put Dallas over SF?
Dallas has the highest winning percentage in the NFL over the course of team histories.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
The niners were very good in the early seventies, losing twice to the Cowboys!

If my shaky math is correct, here are historical winning % for elite teams.

dam I bet the mid to late 2000s messed up our percentage big time. good analysis!!!
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
dam I bet the mid to late 2000s messed up our percentage big time. good analysis!!!

Almost every team has a dark period, the lost years, but ours is recent and very painful! There were some very bad years in the 70s as well...the early Eddie D years!
Umm yes... defently
We were until we hired harbaugh

Dude cannot win big games

bring back Nolan

Originally posted by ads_2006:
We were until we hired harbaugh

Dude cannot win big games

bring back Nolan

We're waiting for you!
Originally posted by Niners99:
1. Packers
2. Cowboys
3. 49ers
4. Steelers
5. Giants

1. Yankees
2. Giants
3. Dodgers
4. Cardinals
5. Red Sox

Why do you put the Giants and Dodgers over the Cardinals?

Better history. If titles were the only factor, there would be no point in ranking them.

The Yankees, Giants, and Dodgers are the 3 most historic franchises in baseball history, all stemming from the same city. If you had to pick 3 franchises to represent the game of baseball, I think those would be the 3.

Yankees obviously have the 27 titles, Yankee Stadium, Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc, etc. Probably the most iconic sports team in American history.

The Giants have the most pennants (22) of anyone outside the Yankees, the most Hall of Fame players, the most wins all time, The Polo Grounds, Mays, Mathewson, Ott, McCovey, Bonds, Hubbell, Marichal, Cepeda, etc.

The Dodgers have the 2nd most pennants (21) outside the Yankees, Koufax, Drysdale, Snider, Campanella, plus the whole civil rights history of Jackie Robinson.

The Cards are a close 4th, and by no means arent deserving. The just dont have as much iconic history as those 3 imo. I know STL fans would disagree, but I think an unbiased party writing a book about the history of Major League Baseball would probably agree that those 3 teams stand out above the rest.

1. Texans
2. Jaguars
3. Cardinals
4. Panthers
5. Browns (post 98)
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Would you put Dallas over SF?

Unfortunately. Mostly based on their out-of-territory fan base. They have fans EVERYWHERE. The 5 championships helped gain all those fans, of course.
[ Edited by BayArea on Apr 1, 2013 at 9:11 AM ]
Top 10 NFL Franchises

1. Dallas
2. Pittsburgh
3. Green Bay
4. San Francisco
5. New England
6. Oakland
7. Chicago
8. Miami
9. Washington
10. New York Giants