There are 66 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Are the 49ers a top five franchise in NFL history?

We all know that the 49ers have been to the playoffs more than any other team since 1981. We all know that they have 5 superbowls and 6 appearances. We all know that the 49ers have the greatest player to ever play the game in Jerry and the greatest big game QB in Montana. However, do you think the 49ers are a cornerstone franchise for the NFL?

At first, it was a no brainer. Of course they are, but if you think about the other team's history, (including pre superbowl era) it's a hard list to compile. These are the NFL cornerstone franchises IMO.

1) Green Bay-The trophy is named after it's legendary head coach and it's called title town for a reason.
2) Dallas- America's team has five super bowl and 8 appearances. Their brand name is top 3 in sports.
3) Steelers- Only team with 6 super bowls and have ARGUABLY the greatest dynasty ever.
4) Chicago- Again, legendary franchise who won alot of championships but been very dormant during the superbowl era
5) San Francisco- The reason why I think they're not top three because they didn't win a championship until the 80's. From the 40's to the late 70's, the 49ers did not accomplish much in terms of championships. Some say that we were the arizona cardinals before Montana and Walsh came in. Their success is contributed in the super bowl era. Before then, they were irrelevant.
6) New York Giants: They have 4 super bowls and they were a very good franchise before the super bowl era.

Some people would easily put the Giants ahead of the 49ers. How would you rank your top 5 cornerstone franchise since the inception of the nfl? And for kicks, who are the cornerstone franchises in other sports?

MLB:
yankees
cardinals
giants
dodgers
redsox
In the modern era, the only way to answer that question is Super Bowl records and here's the top five:

1. Steelers - 6-2
2. Niners - 5-1
3. Cowboys - 5-3
4. Packers - 4-1
5. Giants - 4-1
Originally posted by GNielsen:
In the modern era, the only way to answer that question is Super Bowl records and here's the top five:

1. Steelers - 6-2
2. Niners - 5-1
3. Cowboys - 5-3
4. Packers - 4-1
5. Giants - 4-1

True; however, I'm trying to factor in the pre superbowl era. It may be hard to do though....
No way chicago comes ahead of us. The others I can see the argument for, but not chicago.
Originally posted by Janitor:
No way chicago comes ahead of us. The others I can see the argument for, but not chicago.

Why not? They have been consistently good throughout the history of the NFL.
Originally posted by Janitor:

I agree that in the super bowl era, they have been irrelevant. However, it's so hard to exclude Chicago from the list because they were such an integral part of the nfl before the super bowl era.....
Well, the first problem I see with your analysis is that you say the Steelers are "arguably the greatest dynasty ever." The problem is that the Steelers era of dominance lasted for about 6 or 7 years. The Niners went 16 straight years winning 10 or more games a season. No team has ever done anything like that in both the modern or the older era. And, if you try to factor in the earlier era, you've got a lot less competition. There were only 10 or 12 teams if you go way back. The Bears had a dynasty in the 40's. They won four championships, but they only played 11 games in a season and during that period, in 1945, they had a 3-7 record. I really think the only way to judge is by judging the modern era. The pre-consolidation, pre-Super Bowl was just too different a setup.
Well, the first problem I see with your analysis is that you say the Steelers are "arguably the greatest dynasty ever." The problem is that the Steelers era of dominance lasted for about 6 or 7 years. The Niners went 16 straight years winning 10 or more games a season. No team has ever done anything like that in both the modern or the older era. And, if you try to factor in the earlier era, you've got a lot less competition. There were only 10 or 12 teams if you go way back. The Bears had a dynasty in the 40's. They won four championships, but they only played 11 games in a season and during that period, in 1945, they had a 3-7 record. I really think the only way to judge is by judging the modern era. The pre-consolidation, pre-Super Bowl was just too different a setup.

True... here is my honest opinion:
1. 49ers
2. Cowboys
3. Steelers
4. Packers
5. Patriots

You have some good ass points. They were less teams, less parity, and less competition. You're also right about the Steelers in that their dominance lasted about 8 years or so. But still, people will argue that the best dynasty belongs to the steelers.

Do you watch basketball? I'm having a hard time figuring that list

1 lakers
2 celtics
3 bulls
4 sixers?????????//
5 san antonio?
Originally posted by 49Perspectives:
1. 49ers
2. Cowboys
3. Steelers
4. Packers
5. Patriots
One thing about adding the Patriots to the list. It's true that they are 3-2 in Super Bowls, but they've had an exptended period of dominance during a period where it's very hard to maintain dominance. On the other hand, they've been in a weak division, but that's what they used to say about the Niners, so I don't know. I do think the Giants belong on the list of the best franchises just because of their 4-1 Super bowl record.
The niners were very good in the early seventies, losing twice to the Cowboys!

If my shaky math is correct, here are historical winning % for elite teams.

[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:
You have some good ass points. They were less teams, less parity, and less competition. You're also right about the Steelers in that their dominance lasted about 8 years or so. But still, people will argue that the best dynasty belongs to the steelers.

1 lakers
2 celtics
3 bulls
4 sixers?????????//
5 san antonio?

I'm totally with you on Lakers, Celtics and Bulls, but I just don't know who goes on the list after that. I don't know enough about NBA history.
Originally posted by pdizo916:

1 lakers
2 celtics
3 bulls
4 sixers?????????//
5 san antonio?

I'm totally with you on Lakers, Celtics and Bulls, but I just don't know who goes on the list after that. I don't know enough about NBA history.

Yea man. It seems like only three teams win the nba championship.

BTW, if we do get our sixth, do you think that our franchise would be superior to the steelers, equal, or still "inferior?" We would be tie with the superbowl wins but they would've made one more appearance and have more hall of famers. (even though some of the steelers were overrated and some of the 49ers are being snubbed-eddie d. and craig)
Without a doubt, only the Steelers and Packers are arguably ahead of them.
Originally posted by 49Perspectives:
1. 49ers
2. Cowboys
3. Steelers
4. Packers
5. Patriots
One thing about adding the Patriots to the list. It's true that they are 3-2 in Super Bowls, but they've had an exptended period of dominance during a period where it's very hard to maintain dominance. On the other hand, they've been in a weak division, but that's what they used to say about the Niners, so I don't know. I do think the Giants belong on the list of the best franchises just because of their 4-1 Super bowl record.

In my opinion the Brady/Belichick era may be the best since Walsh and Montana, and they're still going.