LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Less Snaps for our D-Line next year??

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Getting their off-season work in . . . .

Well, we got Tank and Dial and altho Tank was one of our 2 intended starters, I hope Dial works out well. "You build your team , Lines First". Vince Lombardi, and it was true then and true now. It looks like we may have done it. Like chazboner said earlier, screw the DBackfield, our front 7 will just mash the Qb. Thing is we are better with Dashon gone, as tho he was a tough tackler, he basically tackled WRs after the catch and not before. Stats looked good but a lot of those catches were chain movers in 2nd half of season and playoffs. Now we have Reid, and altho he hasn't played one pro down, he sure looks a lot better than dashon on pass prevention. Also the OLB potential passrushers we got...wow, I can see the front seven , Reid and then 3 more OLBs. That would be a trip.
Actually imagine, Aldon, big Mac, Dorsey, Justin, p-52, Brooks,Bowman, Reid, Dial, Lemonier, and Tank.. That would be an interesting D to face. Jailbreak, 9 man blitz. Call ahead for an ambulance for the Qb.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 2, 2013 at 5:59 PM ]
  • thl408
There will be a game where the 49ers open up a 2 or 3 TD lead in the second half. Unleash the Gold Rush!

(as in pass rush, not the cheerleaders)
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Well, we got Tank and Dial and altho Tank was one of our 2 intended starters, I hope Dial works out well. "You build your team , Lines First". Vince Lombardi, and it was true then and true now. It looks like we may have done it. Like chazboner said earlier, screw the DBackfield, our front 7 will just mash the Qb. Thing is we are better with Dashon gone, as tho he was a tough tackler, he basically tackled WRs after the catch and not before. Stats looked good but a lot of those catches were chain movers in 2nd half of season and playoffs. Now we have Reid, and altho he hasn't played one pro down, he sure looks a lot better than dashon on pass prevention. Also the OLB potential passrushers we got...wow, I can see the front seven , Reid and then 3 more OLBs. That would be a trip.
Actually imagine, Aldon, big Mac, Dorsey, Justin, p-52, Brooks,Bowman, Reid, Dial, Lemonier, and Tank.. That would be an interesting D to face. Jailbreak, 9 man blitz. Call ahead for an ambulance for the Qb.

You are right in that the front front 6 or 7 will be the key. However, in the begining the JS and Mac will still play a lot, but as the season progresses, Tank and Dial will get their reps, however I think at most the two will still take about 85% of the snaps cause the niners will ease them newbies in, let them learn the nfl game. A lot will also be who we play, they will the weaker teams to experiment with the combos of players that work best. Like would having two rookies on the field at the same time, Say Lemonier and Tank teamed with the smith brothers work out. Teamed with Brookes and Mac.

As for Dashon, the problem was not him tackling after the catch, you have to understand the system, niners first goal was not to give up the big plays. Dashon's problem at times was blown assignments or bad choices in making his reads and taking bad angles and whiffing once in a while when trying to go for the jarring hit. Remember the first year of the JH era, teams were trying for the big plays, they did not know how or what to do against the niners D, it led to a lot turn overs, from fumbles to interceptions and three and outs and sacks or QB hurries, lots of favorable field postions for SF. Last year, they didn't force it (opponents) and got rid of the ball faster, that is why the safeties gave up catches and fumbles and intercepts went down. Also, the way teams that had success against them were teams with good power runners, that pulled the Safteys in and allowed teams to make the big play and loosen them up. Those that didn't and only passed were not a problem, at least for 60 minutes. With a better rush and fresher legs they won't a) tail off during the playoff run, b) cause more turnovers like year one.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

^^^^ Dorsey is a big man...wide-body. He doesn't look sub-300 at all. He looks more like 330; may be able to handle two-gap responsibilities if he is strong/quick/experienced enough.
Wild Bill, I agree that Tank,Dial, won't be starting right away....altho, if they are ready, why not. Then the combos of who works with who. I also like the idea of giving Aldon a blow. When he is rested, he is hell on wheels on the passrush. When tired, it is notable. That is not a fault, just a fact. I swear, I have never so looked forward to a season as THIS ONE. Too bad the whole league's fans can't be 49er fans.

The picture above lends to the idea of what to call our DLine. Chain Gang?
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 3, 2013 at 1:58 PM ]
Yup. I fully expect to see a real d-line rotation this year. J. Smith and McDonald just went two consecutive years logging 90-95% of the defensive snaps. Justin finally wore down at the end of last year.

With the additions of Carradine and Dial, Dobbs and Tukuafu have officially been put on notice. One of them will probably be gone, possibly both. I hope Dobbs sticks because he has shown real promise when given an opportunity.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Yup. I fully expect to see a real d-line rotation this year. J. Smith and McDonald just went two consecutive years logging 90-95% of the defensive snaps. Justin finally wore down at the end of last year.

With the additions of Carradine and Dial, Dobbs and Tukuafu have officially been put on notice. One of them will probably be gone, possibly both. I hope Dobbs sticks because he has shown real promise when given an opportunity.

At the time we took Reid, the following DL were still on the board:

• Sharif Floyd
  • Bjoern Werner
  • Datone Jones
  • Sylvester Williams

Would any of these guys have upgraded our "real" dline rotation significantly to warrant drafting? Or was it really that there wasn't a clear winner after Lotulelei, Ansah, Mingo, Richardson, Jordan left the board.

Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

if there wasnt a white guy in this picture I could see someone getting upset

brodie, we had to fill FS, and thank goodness it wasn't the consensus, Vaccarro, but was Reid. I had hoped for 2 DLs as our first two picks, and then take a 2nd tier FS for our 3rd pick, out of a gaggle of 8 or 9 guys, all pretty much the same...at least on tape. Obviously , Trent and coach H felt Reid was BPA and definitely best FS, and must have had him as the top FS. Our 1st DL came with our second pick and then with #3, Vance McD. Our 2nd DL came a bit later, which means Trent/JH had DLs rated lower than i had...or they thot they were getting top tier DL drafting further down the line. I sure would have liked to have gotten one of the 4 you mentioned in addition to Tank, but certainly understand picking up Reid at #18. The thinking obviously was that after Tank, the DL could be added to for top tier guys later in the draft. Probably you are correct in that maybe the 4 on the board weren't felt to be of a caliber with the top tier DL guys....or Vance McD was such a great TE that they couldn't pass him up. Then LeMonier...sounds like there were a bunch of 2nd tier FS( about 8 guys) and a group of 2nd tier DLs( about 6), and coach/trent drafted BPA after Reid and Tank. Heck, maybe they were BPA too, but my bet is they were BPA based upon our needs.

Lot of ways our draft could have gone down. I would have liked it to be 2 DLs, FS, TE/WR, OT, OLB, DL. They saw it differnently, and undoubtedly they did a much better job than I would have. In answer to your question, I would love to have had anyone of those guys you mentioned early on. But i'm not the coach or GM.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
brodie, we had to fill FS, and thank goodness it wasn't the consensus, Vaccarro, but was Reid. I had hoped for 2 DLs as our first two picks, and then take a 2nd tier FS for our 3rd pick, out of a gaggle of 8 or 9 guys, all pretty much the same...at least on tape. Obviously , Trent and coach H felt Reid was BPA and definitely best FS, and must have had him as the top FS. Our 1st DL came with our second pick and then with #3, Vance McD. Our 2nd DL came a bit later, which means Trent/JH had DLs rated lower than i had...or they thot they were getting top tier DL drafting further down the line. I sure would have liked to have gotten one of the 4 you mentioned in addition to Tank, but certainly understand picking up Reid at #18. The thinking obviously was that after Tank, the DL could be added to for top tier guys later in the draft. Probably you are correct in that maybe the 4 on the board weren't felt to be of a caliber with the top tier DL guys....or Vance McD was such a great TE that they couldn't pass him up. Then LeMonier...sounds like there were a bunch of 2nd tier FS( about 8 guys) and a group of 2nd tier DLs( about 6), and coach/trent drafted BPA after Reid and Tank. Heck, maybe they were BPA too, but my bet is they were BPA based upon our needs.

Lot of ways our draft could have gone down. I would have liked it to be 2 DLs, FS, TE/WR, OT, OLB, DL. They saw it differnently, and undoubtedly they did a much better job than I would have. In answer to your question, I would love to have had anyone of those guys you mentioned early on. But i'm not the coach or GM.

Yeah. I get that. Because it was crystal clear that our up front seven really lost effectiveness after week 12, our I thought picks would look something like
DL(290+)
DL (290+)
FS/SS Best Value pick
DL (300+)
OLB/DE/Edge Rusher(250-275)
OLB/DE/Edge Rusher(250-275)or CB (BVA),
BVA,
BVA
BVA
etc.

Te/QB/RB I didn't see that at all. As far as NEEDS go.

I guess there must be a lot of faith in Dorsey holding up for 16 weeks of playing. I can't see that, 6'1" 295, with injury history.

I like the players we got. I hope that things will work out better this year r.e. injuries/bruised up players.
  • KK49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
^^^^ Dorsey is a big man...wide-body. He doesn't look sub-300 at all. He looks more like 330; may be able to handle two-gap responsibilities if he is strong/quick/experienced enough.

absolutely right,,, there is no way he weighs less than I williams... and Ian is listed 303 or something... Dorsey looks huge... bigger than the cowboy..
Really glad we addressed the line. With the way this offense seems to be developing , well be scoring a lot quicker. IMO won't be seeig those long time killing drives as we used to with Alex.
Thus the D is gonna need to be on the field longer , I expect to see a fair bit of the rooks this season and a lot earlier than some people are thinking. Just my 2 cents
Originally posted by NCommand:

No kidding... That guy looks to be at least 320 and that makes sense. He has been in NFL weight room (and banquet rooms ) for several years now. He may have been 297 when he came into the league but not any mo'....
Share 49ersWebzone