There are 191 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Less Snaps for our D-Line next year??

it's no secret our defensive line didnt have much pop towards the end of the season , obviously the absence of cowboy the last few games, and the wear and tear of the season took it's toll , so IMO , we need a couple more disruptive 3-4 lineman to keep our line fresh & mean ....Cowboy and Ray Mac cant be playing 95% of the snaps anymore , we need to plug in some fresh talent to be consistently strong up front ...a solid 5 man rotation would be sweet .....I'm not sold on Ian Williams as part of the rotation yet , same with Dobbs and Tukuafu, so with that said, I hope we grab a couple D-Lineman before we get to the 4th round

what do you guys think?
Totally agree and have been saying it for a long time.

The Pats game told most of the story. First half when Justin was in we dominated, our secondary held up just fine. The 2nd half Justin is out and we almost lost. The rest of the season our D production was down we gave up more yards and points as many posters have already listed in many threads.

Dobbs and Tuk did poop when they were healthy. AND you don't keep a D guy on the team because he can go in on a few offensive plays.

We NEED a real rotation. There isn't really any single person that will match the perfromance of Justin. We need 2-3 guys who can come in and keep the heat on. IMO, 2 DE and a real NT. We can probably get them with a combination of FA & draft.
Absolutely. It is possible the defense may be on the field for more snaps, given the offense's increasing potential for the quick strike. Quality depth for a good rotation is a must.
Agree, but I do believe that Dobbs can be a solid guy in the rotation. Williams and Tuk not so much,
Originally posted by lamontb:
Agree, but I do believe that Dobbs can be a solid guy in the rotation. Williams and Tuk not so much,

Tuk >>> Dobbs. Dobbs as a TE is a joke, Tuk is a better blocker as a FB. They both are the same Pass-rusher wise
  • cools
  • Veteran
Could a four man front could be the answer?

J.Smith gets less wear and tear as a DE, but can also move inside as needed
A.Smith moves to DE, bookending the Smiths
*Offenses were avoiding the Smith/Smith duo by moving the pocket away from that side towards end of season
Haralson and a draft pick rotate in

Dorsey and McD' as the starting DT's
Ian Williams and someone like J.Williams rotate in
First off, I think that somewhere in their first three or four picks, they'll get a starting quality DE that will immediately start rotating with Justin Smith. That will help a lot. And there are a lot of D-linemen in this draft, so I expect at least one or two more after that impact player. They know what they're doing and they know that there wasn't enough rotation on that D line last season.
it would be nice to be in a position like the billwalsh superbowl teams where he got a lot of players from the chargers and their second unit dline was made up of guys who could all start in the nfl
Originally posted by hofer36:
it would be nice to be in a position like the billwalsh superbowl teams where he got a lot of players from the chargers and their second unit dline was made up of guys who could all start in the nfl

I think the only way you can have the equivalent of that setup these days is to be real good in the draft.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Tuk >>> Dobbs. Dobbs as a TE is a joke, Tuk is a better blocker as a FB. They both are the same Pass-rusher wise
I just like Dobbs better on defense.
I agree... we did sign some free agents and who knows what will happen in the Draft
We will most definitely be drafting D-Line help with one of our first 2 picks , I'm sure of it ...who knows, maybe our first TWO picks will be spent on a NT and DE .....I wont complain if that happens
  • Disp
  • Veteran
We do need more depth on the d-line, but I think the biggest problem is our 2 most important linemen/pass rushers were borderline IR by the end of the year. I think it was less fatigue and more that both of them were severely injured to the point where they were working with barely more than 1 arm.
  • KK49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Disp:
We do need more depth on the d-line, but I think the biggest problem is our 2 most important linemen/pass rushers were borderline IR by the end of the year. I think it was less fatigue and more that both of them were severely injured to the point where they were working with barely more than 1 arm.

i couldnt believe we went that far with those guys hurting.. i really , really want to draft NT , DE with 31, 34 picks , but i know wont happen.. i wished , also , we picked safety in free agency , so we dont need to draft that high.. How about our other back ups? Do u think guys like I. Williams or Jerod Eddie ( or whatever his name was ) are making some progress???
I think the title of the thread tells you that we are going to draft 2 DLs this yr and both will be starters. As for playing 4-3, I have mentioned that recently, just as a thot, but asking Justin to take on 2 guys every snap, and 3 guys on some snaps....well, it predisposes to injury, it obviously wears down a bull both like justin and aldon, and in the end, is actually short-sighted on the part of our HC and DC. Look, we draft guys to give Frank a breather, but justin....nope, he'll tough it out. True, but even a bull like justin isn't going to last as long DURING the season and not as long for playing career, if he has to work against 2 guys, or worse 3, at times. It is asking too much of one man. It is also why we are taking TWO DL starters in the draft. Don't know if they are #31 and #34 but they will be starters. We gotta help the guys on the D line out. Honestly, because of the wear and tear, and because of the chance of shortening someone's career playing the DL in 3-4, not to mention our DL being worn down at playoff time( or injured), I think one could make a great case for going back to 4-3. The odds of a 3-4 DL getting injured or worn out prior to playoffs is so great that i am a bit surprised that Coach H hasn't considered that.

Additionally, 3-4 is used to disguise where the blitz is coming from. In the SB we blitzed how many times? Right. TWICE!. When you do that you wear out your 3-4 guys and you don't take advantage of the 3-4 for blitzing, then WHY play 3-4? We help justin out this yr by drafting TWO starting DLs. That very well may be our first two picks, unless we draft up into hi teens or early 20s for the S/CB we have to have. 1st tho, is DLs...two of them.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home