There are 70 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who to Extend?

It'd be great to keep them all.

Iupati is NOT, NOT easily replaced. Forget that! Guards like him are a Premium - like Decastro - they are difference makers. If they are easily replaced - just think of a performance like Snyder and the poop before him. Please don't forget those dark days when it was like H'way 101 getting to our QB.

My real concern is Crabs. Based on his holdout and not showing up in camp, especially his agent & all that. My gut feeling is if he has a BIG season he'll want amonster deal and WON'T give a hometown discount. He'll be the hardest to resign.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Iupati is NOT, NOT easily replaced. Forget that! Guards like him are a Premium - like Decastro - they are difference makers. If they are easily replaced - just think of a performance like Snyder and the poop before him. Please don't forget those dark days when it was like H'way 101 getting to our QB.

My real concern is Crabs. Based on his holdout and not showing up in camp, especially his agent & all that. My gut feeling is if he has a BIG season he'll want amonster deal and WON'T give a hometown discount. He'll be the hardest to resign.
nor should he give a hometown discount. these nfl teams can peace you off well before your contract is over. gotta get what you can.
is crab going to be a restricted free agent?
Originally posted by DUB9IROCZ:
is crab going to be a cowboy?

*fixed
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

agree with iupati but disagree on calling decastro a difference maker right now. You cant put him up there with the elite guards in the NFL yet
Im leaning towards keeping the line intact, but that may mean Crabtree walks. According to AB, Kaep and Aldon cant be extended until 2014.

So IM in order of immediate priority, and strictly speaking about our young franchise type players, its
1. Davis
2. Iupati
3. Crabtree
4. Kaep
5. Aldon

Now if i had to choose one player to lose out of that lot, it would be a tough choice between Crabtree and Iupati, but i think Crabtree would be the odd man out.
I think we can keep "the big five", but a couple of things would have to happen.

Most would have to accept about 90% market salaries. Max salaries would be too much to handle.

1) Kap -- We are paying Kap. I just hope he is willing to accept 20 mil and not something beyond that.
2) Aldon -- We are very likely paying Aldon. Again, see above. 15 million would be a little below market, but going higher would make things very difficult.
3) A Davis -- You need OT's in the game of football. 5 - 8 million depending on how he improves, should be enough.
4) Crabtree -- Most disagree. And I understand why, but I value good football players over good athletes. Crabtree is a good football player. These are the types of players you need most. He will have to accept 10 million. We can't invest more than that.
5) Iupati -- 7 - 8 million? He is a great athlete, but not a great technician. Also, great guards are not as important as great WR's IMO.

60 million is about what we are looking at.

Willis, Brooks, Bowman, Staley, V Davis would still have their contracts I believe, but almost everybody else would be gone: Whiter, Rodgers, Brown, Goodwin, Manningham, Boldin and even Gore and J Smith would have to be let go or take dramatic pay cuts. Their positions will be replaced by the next two drafts and/or players on the roster.
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Well played.
After perusing the entirety of the thread, I'm going to have to concur with the postulation that the extension should indeed be offered to:

DEEZ NUTS

Originally posted by BrianGO:
I think we can keep "the big five", but a couple of things would have to happen.

Most would have to accept about 90% market salaries. Max salaries would be too much to handle.

1) Kap -- We are paying Kap. I just hope he is willing to accept 20 mil and not something beyond that.
2) Aldon -- We are very likely paying Aldon. Again, see above. 15 million would be a little below market, but going higher would make things very difficult.
3) A Davis -- You need OT's in the game of football. 5 - 8 million depending on how he improves, should be enough.
4) Crabtree -- Most disagree. And I understand why, but I value good football players over good athletes. Crabtree is a good football player. These are the types of players you need most. He will have to accept 10 million. We can't invest more than that.
5) Iupati -- 7 - 8 million? He is a great athlete, but not a great technician. Also, great guards are not as important as great WR's IMO.

60 million is about what we are looking at.

Willis, Brooks, Bowman, Staley, V Davis would still have their contracts I believe, but almost everybody else would be gone: Whiter, Rodgers, Brown, Goodwin, Manningham, Boldin and even Gore and J Smith would have to be let go or take dramatic pay cuts. Their positions will be replaced by the next two drafts and/or players on the roster.

I'm hoping Kap accepts $18M, I think he may be willing to help out cap wise, he won't be a douche like some be greedy.

My priorities IMO would be like this over next 2 offseasons.

1. Justin Smith
2. Colin Kaepernick
3. Anthony Davis
4. Mike Iupati
5. Michael Crabtree
6. Tarell Brown
7. Chris Culliver

I didn't include Aldon because he has a 5th year option, and no way he isn't on the roster in 2015. I am sure a deal will be in place anyway after 2013.

We may have to look at it as Justin and Kap for sure, either Davis or IUpati, and Cully or Brown, but we can save room by redoing Brooks if he is willing, and cutting loose Rogers. And rogers would allow to keep Brown and Cully.

Crabs might be the toughest to keep. If he is a 49er for life in his eyes, he takes $10M, which is fair for a WR who is becoming a #1 threat. Would be nice to have Boldin re-sign an extension soon, give us some flexibility right now, get maybe 1 or 2 of the eligible guys signed, front load in 2013 and 2015 or 2016.