LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

Who to Extend?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The 49ers are the most talented team in the NFL. Baalke and company have drafted well, and our recent success shows the talent. The problem with too much talent is that we cannot keep all of our talent (see Goldson, Walker). With that said, who do we extend in the coming weeks, months, or year?

Since we will definitely extend Kaepernick, I will remove him from the list of our young stars, thus, leaving four: Iupati, Davis, Crabtree, Aldon Smith. I figure we can only extend one or two of them due to the restraints of the salary cap. So, here is my priority list:

1. Aldon Smith if he keeps his head on his shoulders. When we don't have a pass rush our whole D struggles.
2. Anthony Davis: gotta have good pass protection to protect our franchise QB.
3. Iupati: great if we could keep him for establishing an excellent future for our running game.
4. Crabtree: has done SO well, but we are more a run based attack -- 10-11 million to keep him would be a lot.

Anyway, I am interested to see your priority list, their potential price tags, and if you would add anyone to the list.
EREBODY!!!! RIGHT NOW!!!!!
Originally posted by hoosierdunham:

1. Aldon Smith if he keeps his head on his shoulders. When we don't have a pass rush our whole D struggles.
2. Anthony Davis: gotta have good pass protection to protect our franchise QB.
3. Iupati: great if we could keep him for establishing an excellent future for our running game.
4. Crabtree: has done SO well, but we are more a run based attack -- 10-11 million to keep him would be a lot.

That's my priority list too
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
extend deez nuts
Originally posted by susweel:
extend deez nuts

this
1. Kaep - Obviously
2. Aldon - Obviously
3. AD and Iupati - I'm really high on Joe Looney. So, I feel if we lose Iupati or Davis(thus moving Boone to RT) that Looney could step in and be very successful.
5. Crabs - He's got the Goldson factor. He's not quite elite, but I think he could ask for elite money. Depending on his asking price, though, I'd love to keep him.
You guys are forgetting about Justin Smith and Tarell Brown, who has been criminally underrated by this fanbase because his struggles pre-2011.
One of the things that I would love to see is the niners lock up some of these younger players early on. Consider Staley, he is definitely All-Pro, and we got him for such a small Cap number.

Kaep is gonna be 14-17 M I think. He won't be the 20+ that Flacco is because he'll have some time left on his deal, and because if it came to it, we could use the tag on him for a year. It would give him an immediate pay day with long term security, and it would provide us a discount.

I think that Iupati will be more likely resigned long term than Davis just because guards are paid less. Plus, our run game is based on athletic offensive lineman, and Iupati combines size and mobility, which is so rare for a guard.

Last, if it were up to you, would you offer an extension to T Brown?
Originally posted by SmileyJetson:
You guys are forgetting about Justin Smith and Tarell Brown, who has been criminally underrated by this fanbase because his struggles pre-2011.

I bet that they're both gone at the end of this year. Justin MAY be in a decline because of age and Brown will get a nice payday in FA.

I bet this team will plan to take a CB and WR with their first four picks.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by SmileyJetson:

I bet that they're both gone at the end of this year. Justin MAY be in a decline because of age and Brown will get a nice payday in FA.

I bet this team will plan to take a CB and WR with their first four picks.

Last I checked, Justin was still at near 100% production. Even at his age. I don't know why people think we will let Smith leave, he either is tagged or retires, we wont let him leave. Brown will get an offer, but we may match if we let Rogers go via cut.

Our top 3 has to be:
1. Aldon (This guy has HOF potential.)
2. Crabtree (Only if he builds off of last seasons production.)
3. Davis (Having our two tackles signed long term is huge. Especially since we have found our francise QB.)
Coach and Baalke play the game from the inside out so the DL and OL may be the priority. Aldon Smith, Mike iupati, Anthony Davis would be my guess in that order. The only reason Davis is last is because Boone could shift to tackle and the team wouldn't miss a beat.

*whom
Edit: *
[ Edited by Beeker on Mar 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM ]
No reason why we can't extend them all if we time it right. I think Anthony Davis is the biggest priority. He has shown consistent improvement, but has yet to make a pro-bowl. We could sign him to a deal similar to the one Staley got.

Aldon should be next. He will be expensive... probably our most expensive guy after Kaepernick. The trick with both those guys though will be to not let them reach their contract year. Both these guys will take a home team discount and would sign for less if they get a fair offer sooner. The longer they play on their rookie deals, the more they risk getting seriously injured before they get paid.

Crabtree and Iupati are probably the lowest priority. Crabtree is a playmaker that would be hard to replace. So I think the team will make him a fair offer. But Crabtree may just be in it for the money. We SHOULD have locked him up before last season. Now that he's had some success and has a great QB, he may want to see if he can get top WR money... which we won't likely give him.

Iupati I have a little more faith in. He'd be the most easy to replace. In fact, Looney may be that guy. That will give us leverage, and if he wants to stay a 49er, we may be able to get him for $4-5M per year. But if he hits the open market, someone will give him $6-7M.
Share 49ersWebzone