There are 170 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What if Steve young was traded to KC instead of Montana

Originally posted by defenderDX:

it's true in sacramento.......
  • Chief
  • Veteran
At that point and time, Young was the better QB and athlete, I'm not sure we would have won any more rings with Montana.
then KC wouldve stayed good for a long time while the niners sucked after Joe retired two years later
Originally posted by defenderDX:

I'd say get on Hwy 80 East and take the first exit when you get across the Bay Bridge to get back to Oakland.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
what if we hadn't traded Charles Haley to the Cowturds = the REAL question

That was what stopped the 49ers from going to the SB in 1992 and 1993. The worst trade of all.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
then KC wouldve stayed good for a long time while the niners sucked after Joe retired two years later
bono would have learned from the master and would have taken over nicely, plus by getting derick thomas from the chiefs, we would not have had to spend a gazzilion dollars on free agent defensive linemen before the 94 season, there is no evidence to prove that young would have been good anywhere else but with us. montana , on the other hand, proved he could still get the job done with less offensive weapons around him than what he had in san fran.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Chief:
At that point and time, Young was the better QB and athlete, I'm not sure we would have won any more rings with Montana.

and he also played like garbage in nfl title games untill we had to spend a bunch of money and bring in free agents on defense which set the stage for our fall from grace down the road
Originally posted by cciowa:
bono would have learned from the master and would have taken over nicely, plus by getting derick thomas from the chiefs, we would not have had to spend a gazzilion dollars on free agent defensive linemen before the 94 season, there is no evidence to prove that young would have been good anywhere else but with us. montana , on the other hand, proved he could still get the job done with less offensive weapons around him than what he had in san fran.
and why wouldnt steve young have success anywhere else? he had everything you could ask for in a QB. Tampa Bay was a s**t storm that no one couldve won with if thats what you are going on. montana probably wouldnt have played more if he stayed here, i think he wanted to be traded to spite the niners for benching him in favor of young.
Originally posted by cciowa:
and why wouldnt steve young have success anywhere else? he had everything you could ask for in a QB. Tampa Bay was a s**t storm that no one couldve won with if thats what you are going on. montana probably wouldnt have played more if he stayed here, i think he wanted to be traded to spite the niners for benching him in favor of young.

It would have been different if Young didn't pan out while Joe was out, but he proved he can play.So why bench the one with the hot hand?
  • Axl49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by GNielsen:
I've got a couple very basic problems with this idea that they would have won those two NFC Championship games vs. Dallas if they would have kept Montana. The first problem is that the Cowboys scored 30 and 38 points in those games. Niner fans have this habit of magical thinking with Joe Montana. He's my favorite Niner of all time, but let's be real about this. Every single one of his playoff and Super Bowl wins came along with a very tough defense. And the other problem is the one Walsh had - Montana was getting very fragile at that point in his career. He was prone to injury. To assume he would have even gotten the team as far as Young did and into those games is to assume he would have been relatively free of injury, which is an assumption with rather long odds.

And don't forget that in his second season with KC, Montana was hampered by a bad elbow. It'd have been difficult go far in the playoffs with an ailing QB.

Montana would have 5 rings for sure maaaybe 6. He did get a trash chiefs team to title game. His injuries were adding up though.
People under sell Young constantly some even say he is unworthy of his hall of fame credentials. That s**t is lame and unworthy of consideration. Young played in a different era than Montana did. I love Montana as much as the next 49er fan but Young played when a stacked Cowpies team was dominating and Brett Favre was coming into the lime light. Elway was on the rise and well let's face it the 49ers were on the downfall. I know he played in a different conference but he probably would have beat us had we managed to make it to the superbowl.
Originally posted by Axl49:
Montana would have 5 rings for sure maaaybe 6. He did get a trash chiefs team to title game. His injuries were adding up though.

How would Montana have changed the fact that the Cowboys scored 30 and 38 points in those NFC Championship game?
Originally posted by BayArea:
People under sell Young constantly some even say he is unworthy of his hall of fame credentials. That s**t is lame and unworthy of consideration. Young played in a different era than Montana did. I love Montana as much as the next 49er fan but Young played when a stacked Cowpies team was dominating and Brett Favre was coming into the lime light. Elway was on the rise and well let's face it the 49ers were on the downfall. I know he played in a different conference but he probably would have beat us had we managed to make it to the superbowl.

+1
Joe Montana would have 5 rings; Joe would have easily beatin' that 92' Cowboys squad (and they would have started Joe in that '92 Championship game, as well as the entire post-season if they were gonna deal Steve, cause letting Steve play in the post sealed the deal for Joe). Niners would still have five, but it would come at a huge price. -Joe Montana would have probably retired in '94, and there would be no backup plan; Seifert was incompetent (and rode off Walsh's talent), the '94 49ers would probably be like what we're seeing from the Ravens right now (except without a serviceable QB), due to the first year of the salary cap. -God only knows what could have been after that.

I love Joe with all my heart, but what happened had to happen, would not trade back that '94 season for anything in the world.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Mar 24, 2013 at 7:49 PM ]
Montana was still hurt early on in the season so I'm not sure when he comes in.

I'm also not sure if Montana waltzes in and just goes to the Super Bowl over Dallas.

Say if Montana does win in '94 and retires, do we keep Watters or roll with SF's finest, Derek Loville? Is this where Steve Bono steps in for cheap?

Does Steve Bono game manage his way to a Super Bowl VICTORY after Montana retires? Maybe if we keep Watters.

And how long does Steve Bono last anyway? Who's the QB after that? Derpenmiller