There are 228 users in the forums

What if Steve young was traded to KC instead of Montana

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Saw this video on nfl.com and enjoyed it.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/n-if-l/0ap2000000152478/N-if-L-What-if-Young-had-been-traded-to-Chiefs
What if they BOTH WERE!!!!!
seems about right. i especially like all the dallas losing stuff
What if your aunt had balls . . . .

She'd be your uncle
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
that was dumb
Cute Video and I like that guy but lets not take a scalpel to closed wounds, mmm k
I've got a couple very basic problems with this idea that they would have won those two NFC Championship games vs. Dallas if they would have kept Montana. The first problem is that the Cowboys scored 30 and 38 points in those games. Niner fans have this habit of magical thinking with Joe Montana. He's my favorite Niner of all time, but let's be real about this. Every single one of his playoff and Super Bowl wins came along with a very tough defense. And the other problem is the one Walsh had - Montana was getting very fragile at that point in his career. He was prone to injury. To assume he would have even gotten the team as far as Young did and into those games is to assume he would have been relatively free of injury, which is an assumption with rather long odds.

Originally posted by GNielsen:
I've got a couple very basic problems with this idea that they would have won those two NFC Championship games vs. Dallas if they would have kept Montana. The first problem is that the Cowboys scored 30 and 38 points in those games. Niner fans have this habit of magical thinking with Joe Montana. He's my favorite Niner of all time, but let's be real about this. Every single one of his playoff and Super Bowl wins came along with a very tough defense. And the other problem is the one Walsh had - Montana was getting very fragile at that point in his career. He was prone to injury. To assume he would have even gotten the team as far as Young did and into those games is to assume he would have been relatively free of injury, which is an assumption with rather long odds.

And don't forget that in his second season with KC, Montana was hampered by a bad elbow. It'd have been difficult go far in the playoffs with an ailing QB.

Well, in 1992, Dallas benefited from 4takeaways. Things would've been different if the turnover margin was equal. (0)
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Well, in 1992, Dallas benefited from 4takeaways. Things would've been different if the turnover margin was equal. (0)

2 were Ricky Waters fumbles.
Originally posted by susweel:

2 were Ricky Waters fumbles.

That is a lame what if. First, Montana was at the end of his career, I love the guy for what he did, but as G.Nielson said he was dealing with a fragile body, who is to say in the Championship games against the pokes that he wouldn't have gotten hurt? Plus as susweel stated, young didn't cause all the turnovers. Plus who is to say Montana wouldn't have given up turnovers himself? Montana was a great QB but, he wasn't perfect. In the end the niners would have had to have looked for a replacement earlier.

And please, don't say Bono would have been the one. I forgot when he left and when free agency began, but he would have been gone also. Bono was like Grbac a good QB, but would have suffered worst in the end.

In the end Defense was the missing piece, it was proven in the end with Dieon coming on board for one season.
We still lose in '92 & '93, and probably don't win in '94. I love Joe, but he was breaking down at that point.
Share 49ersWebzone