LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Darius Fleming, Trenton Robinson and Cam Johnson

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I was curious... What is the reason for your aversion to the word "and"?

As for Haralson, he isn't great, but he was sorely missed this past season. He was the starter before Aldon came along.
He provides very good depth, and he has a lot of starting experience.
Because I can N like to now when u N everyone else become perfect then come judge me ...
It was an innocent question.
Kinda touchy, eh?
Originally posted by NCommand:
I see a serious battle this year with Spillman, Culliver and Robinson as well as Fleming/Johnson. Then you add additional draft picks to this mix and you've got a fight on your hands and competition at the highest level and Baalke/Harbaugh are all about, best-man-wins. Period. This will be one of the most intriguing camps yet given the few real holes we have and ALL of the battles within!

As to your original question, absolutely, any of these guys have the talent to not only take the reigns but IMPROVE our defense next year.
I'd say that all three are gonna have a real tough fight to ear a roster spot.
These guys are all in the mix. Competition is going to be fierce this offseason.
So far, with Reid, Carradine, and Lemonier will make it tough for these guys to make the team.
Robinson and Johnson are in trouble. They need to have a great TC to convince the coaching staff to keep an extra safety or outside linebacker.

I think Fleming has a slightly better shot at making the roster. He was very good dropping back into coverage at Notre Dame, and might be able to transition to inside linebacker. I actually thought he was better suited at ILB, since he's undersized and was never a major pass-rusher.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 26, 2013 at 10:30 PM ]
Alls i know is that training camp is going to be a battle for many guys
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by NCommand:
I see a serious battle this year with Spillman, Culliver and Robinson as well as Fleming/Johnson. Then you add additional draft picks to this mix and you've got a fight on your hands and competition at the highest level and Baalke/Harbaugh are all about, best-man-wins. Period. This will be one of the most intriguing camps yet given the few real holes we have and ALL of the battles within!

As to your original question, absolutely, any of these guys have the talent to not only take the reigns but IMPROVE our defense next year.
I'd say that all three are gonna have a real tough fight to ear a roster spot.

You guys seriously think culliver is gonna have to fight for a roster spot? LOL. Guy may possibly end up the best CB on the roster after this off season. Culliver will be just fine.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
You guys seriously think culliver is gonna have to fight for a roster spot? LOL. Guy may possibly end up the best CB on the roster after this off season. Culliver will be just fine.

This....LOL......never can understand why so many underrate Culliver so frequently. He played like one of the better CB's in the NFL for much of last season.
Would like some serious competition at WR for once.

Originally posted by jreff22:

The competition is there. Crab, Boldin, Manningham, Williams, Lockette, and Jenkins is pretty good.

If Manningham comes back healthy we have one of the best WR groups(1-3) in the league.
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by jreff22:

The competition is there. Crab, Boldin, Manningham, Williams, Lockette, and Jenkins is pretty good.

If Manningham comes back healthy we have one of the best WR groups(1-3) in the league.

THIS THIS THIS times infinity!!! Can we get through the offseason before we all lose our minds??
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Alls i know is that training camp is going to be a battle for many guys

And many teams will be watching the niners waiver wire! They will be cutting some pretty good NFL players.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Robinson and Johnson are in trouble. They need to have a great TC to convince the coaching staff to keep an extra safety or outside linebacker.

I think Fleming has a slightly better shot at making the roster. He was very good dropping back into coverage at Notre Dame, and might be able to transition to inside linebacker. I actually thought he was better suited at ILB, since he's undersized and was never a major pass-rusher.

They may not be. Cam Johnson does have another year of practice squad eligibility, so if he performs well in training camp, he could spend another year there and then be signed to the active roster in 2014 when Parys Haralson is gone. Darius Fleming may have the flexibility to play any of the linebacker positions, so he brings a different element to our group of linebackers. I think the best case scenario (and probably unrealistic) is that Trenton Robinson makes a NaVorro Bowman like jump in year 2 and is ready to step in at FS, with Eric Reid at SS.
This is the kind of problem that's good to have.
Share 49ersWebzone