LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 312 users in the forums

Boldin versus Harvin

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
We would trade Boldin for Harvin.

True, but we would not trade this years 1st, 7th and next year's 4th for him then pay him like he was Marvin Harrison.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
My friend that happens to be a Saints fan said the same thing. Boldin will do us some good but how exactly does Harvin fit in SEA offense. I will say though that I trust Bevell to figure something out

Ive been saying that since everyone became so concerned with the trade.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Quite frankly, Harvin cant hold Boldin jock when it comes to receiving.

Sure he is more versitile, and sure he is younger, and Boldin is getting up there in age, But all one has to do is look at the receiving stats to see who the better WR is.

Harvin has never even broken 1000, Boldin has 5 1000+ yard seasons. Boldins average the last two seasons alone are higher than Harvin has ever had in his career. Harvin has a career average of 11.8 to boldins 13.2. Boldin has two 100+reception seasons.

Boldin has 10,000+ career receiving yards.

Its unlikely that Harvin, unless he for some reason dominates in the seahawk offense, ever even comes close to sniffing the #'s boldin has put up in his career.

Call me a homer, whatever, but Harvin, strictly speaking in terms of receivers, will never be the player Boldin is.

We would trade Boldin for Harvin.

With his contract? Highly doubtful.

Many are underestimating what Boldin will do in this offense, and how much better the offense will be because of him. He may be getting old but hes no slouch.

Ill go ahead and make the prediction right now, barring injurys, Boldin will have more receiving yards and TD's than Harvin will.
With his contract? Highly doubtful.

Many are underestimating what Boldin will do in this offense, and how much better the offense will be because of him. He may be getting old but hes no slouch.

Ill go ahead and make the prediction right now, barring injurys, Boldin will have more receiving yards and TD's than Harvin will.

If the rest of our offensive personnell stays relatively healthy, I can buy that
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
My friend that happens to be a Saints fan said the same thing. Boldin will do us some good but how exactly does Harvin fit in SEA offense. I will say though that I trust Bevell to figure something out

Oh yeah Bevell will have to otherwise it's a waste of money. I bet they'll use Harvin like they did Zach Miller in the playoffs, crossing routes and screens.
Originally posted by shaneblonien:
Oh yeah Bevell will have to otherwise it's a waste of money. I bet they'll use Harvin like they did Zach Miller in the playoffs, crossing routes and screens.

Problem is Harvin cant take hits like a tight end can.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Talentwise, Harvin is clearly the bigger threat. Anyone saying otherwise is insane. However, price is the other side of the coin. Harvin is not only going to command a large salary but also take up 1st and 3rd round picks. Boldin is a huge boost to out team and at a very small cost. There is no denying that this rivalry between our two teams is going to be epic.

Talentwise depends, when it come to diversity without a doubt he is more talented, but when it comes to the pure WR position i think he falls behind Boldin a little bit.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Problem is Harvin cant take hits like a tight end can.

that is too true. Yeah I'm really intrigued how he's used. I don't see any point in handing the ball off to him when it only takes touches away from Lynch. The perfect way to reply to this trade is draft Honey Badger. The guy just has a knack for making plays and can return punts as well.
that is too true. Yeah I'm really intrigued how he's used. I don't see any point in handing the ball off to him when it only takes touches away from Lynch. The perfect way to reply to this trade is draft Honey Badger. The guy just has a knack for making plays and can return punts as well.

I disagree the best counter to that move is making sure our pass rush remains very strong so we can keep Wilson in the pocket with very limited view of his receivers. IMO the only way this trade is relevant is when teams cant shut the pocket on Wilson and he is allowed to break free buy time and get an open view of Harvin. Keep Wilson in the pocket Harvin becomes useless unless he develops into a sideline outside the numbers receiver.
Quite frankly, Harvin cant hold Boldin jock when it comes to receiving.

Sure he is more versitile, and sure he is younger, and Boldin is getting up there in age, But all one has to do is look at the receiving stats to see who the better WR is.

Harvin has never even broken 1000, Boldin has 5 1000+ yard seasons. Boldins average the last two seasons alone are higher than Harvin has ever had in his career. Harvin has a career average of 11.8 to boldins 13.2. Boldin has two 100+reception seasons.

Boldin has 10,000+ career receiving yards.

Its unlikely that Harvin, unless he for some reason dominates in the seahawk offense, ever even comes close to sniffing the #'s boldin has put up in his career.

Call me a homer, whatever, but Harvin, strictly speaking in terms of receivers, will never be the player Boldin is.

Well, I'm not sure we're comparing apples to apples here...

Aside from the obvious age difference (not surprising that a player who's played 10 years has more impressive numbers than one who's played only 4) seems like they are different types of WR's or at least have used differently on their respective teams.

In Minny's run heavy offense, Harvin might not have had as much chance to rack up yards (although the year AP got hurt, he certainly stepped up and nearly made that 1000 yard milestone [967]). Also, seems Harvin has been used quite a bit (and quite effectively) on ST (another possible factor in his lack of "regular" receiving yards).

As for the "off the field issues" that others have raised...

Seems he's past the migraines, or at least has found a way to deal with them.

I doubt he'll cause any trouble in the locker room - Pete has that pretty well under control (Lynch and Irvin were rumored "malcontents" as we'll) Also, Harvin will have a bit of familiarity - he played with Rice and had Bevell as his OC in his first two pro seasons.

Anyhoo....
It'll all be extremely interesting to watch unfold.

Hurry up September :)
[ Edited by LisaTwelve on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:30 PM ]

Don't forget salary and draft picks. If all was equal with pay and picks, I'd take Harvin in a heartbeat. Boldin is past his prime but still really good. Harvin is dynamic but there's a huge question mark regarding his ability to stay healthy and happy. You don't give a guy 10+ mil a year and big draft picks if he's a questionable character guy with injury concerns. And I think the injury concerns will always be there. He's a small guy who looks to take contact. Eventually Patrick Willis is going to hurt him really bad.

If it was equal with pay and picks Boldin would have to be younger.

I disagree the best counter to that move is making sure our pass rush remains very strong so we can keep Wilson in the pocket with very limited view of his receivers. IMO the only way this trade is relevant is when teams cant shut the pocket on Wilson and he is allowed to break free buy time and get an open view of Harvin. Keep Wilson in the pocket Harvin becomes useless unless he develops into a sideline outside the numbers receiver.

You two disagree on the best counter but I advocate both. First two picks are Kawann Short/Datone Jones and Jesse Williams/John Jenkins. Honey Badger and a rush backer in the third round.
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Mar 15, 2013 at 11:34 PM ]
You two disagree on the best counter but I advocate both. First two picks are Kawann Short/Datone Jones and Jessie Williams/John Jenkins. Honey Badger and a rush backer in the third round.

Im about 75% sold on Honey Badger, if it wasnt for the character issues i would probably be 100%
You two disagree on the best counter but I advocate both. First two picks are Kawann Short/Datone Jones and Jessie Williams/John Jenkins. Honey Badger and a rush backer in the third round.

Im about 75% sold on Honey Badger, if it wasnt for the character issues i would probably be 100%

He seems pretty firmly entrenched in the 3rd round right now, after being a presumed 1st rounder during his LSU heyday. So yeah there are character concerns, but I think at that point and with our picks you take the risk. Other than character, the biggest thing keeping him from the elite CB conversation is his size, but as a slot CB and punt returner, he's a prototypical fit. Big-time play-maker.
Don't forget salary and draft picks. If all was equal with pay and picks, I'd take Harvin in a heartbeat. Boldin is past his prime but still really good. Harvin is dynamic but there's a huge question mark regarding his ability to stay healthy and happy. You don't give a guy 10+ mil a year and big draft picks if he's a questionable character guy with injury concerns. And I think the injury concerns will always be there. He's a small guy who looks to take contact. Eventually Patrick Willis is going to hurt him really bad.

No question Percy cost a pretty penny!

But, I guess I'll have to trust John and Pete to have structured his contract in a way that considers future cap consideration (I've heard it's heavily front-loaded).
I would think that most of the players the Hawks are currently paying anything significant to (Lynch, Rice, Miller to name a few) will be gone before it's time to give RW, et al their big pay day.
Share 49ersWebzone