There are 109 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The masterstrokes of Harbaalke

The front office is making shrewd moves with an eye on the future (re-signing and extending our stars), and, with the exception of Goldson, we aren't losing anyone we can't replace more or less immediately. And we have 15 draft picks with which to do so!

The acquisitions we're looking at (Naamdi, Woodson) are short-term, hole-plugging moves for experienced veterans who want to play for a contender, and they won't have a high cap impact.

The overlooked upside to adding Boldin, Woodson/Naamdi to replace our departed FAs is they don't count in the calculation of compensatory picks since they were cut by their teams. Result: we'll receive multiple picks next year, with the Goldson pick likely a 3rd rounder. If Dorsey cancels one of Soap/RJF we might get another 4th or 5th and probably another in that range for Walker. We will have double-digit picks again next year. We are the anti-Raiders.

By the way the Smith deal was mind-boggling great. Other teams are begging for our leftovers.

This is how great franchises are run; this is how the rich stay rich. The Patriots have been the best at it for a long time, but its our turn now. Sit back and enjoy the awesome
valrod is also a masterstroker.
Masterstrokes, indeed. I'm still Faep'n with the Kaep'n.
If we keep signing free agents, will we lose out on the comp picks?
Originally posted by BrianGO:
If we keep signing free agents, will we lose out on the comp picks?

not if they sign guys that have been cut.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
If we keep signing free agents, will we lose out on the comp picks?

Depends how many we sign and for how much.

Nobody we sign will come close to Goldson's deal, so we're sure to get a 3rd for him.

Dorsey's deal will negate the loss of either RJF, Walker, Sopoaga. Not sure which one.

Right now, I'd say we're on pace to get a 3rd and possibly two 4th's in 2014.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
If we keep signing free agents, will we lose out on the comp picks?

Yeah, better not sign any talented guys now so we can get a few extra 6 round picks later.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
valrod is also a masterstroker.

Originally posted by StOnEy333:
valrod is also a masterstroker.

i'm afraid to ask
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Yeah, better not sign any talented guys now so we can get a few extra 6 round picks later.

goldson has to be worth a 3rd, there others might be 4/5th roudners, cap casualties are not un-talented
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
valrod is also a masterstroker.

That's his good luck charm on gameday
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Yeah, better not sign any talented guys now so we can get a few extra 6 round picks later.

Not suggesting that. But we are going after guys who have been cut, not FAs: Woodson, Reed, Abraham, Asamogha. The difference is they do not discount our FA losses - DW, Soap, RJF. Dunno if Ballke is doing this intentionally, but it's a good thing regardless.
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Yeah, better not sign any talented guys now so we can get a few extra 6 round picks later.

Not suggesting that. But we are going after guys who have been cut, not FAs: Woodson, Reed, Abraham, Asamogha. The difference is they do not discount our FA losses - DW, Soap, RJF. Dunno if Ballke is doing this intentionally, but it's a good thing regardless.

Rather these guys than give up the draft for an injured CB who thinks he deserves $16 mil a year.
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
The front office is making shrewd moves with an eye on the future (re-signing and extending our stars), and, with the exception of Goldson, we aren't losing anyone we can't replace more or less immediately. And we have 15 draft picks with which to do so!

The acquisitions we're looking at (Naamdi, Woodson) are short-term, hole-plugging moves for experienced veterans who want to play for a contender, and they won't have a high cap impact.

The overlooked upside to adding Boldin, Woodson/Naamdi to replace our departed FAs is they don't count in the calculation of compensatory picks since they were cut by their teams. Result: we'll receive multiple picks next year, with the Goldson pick likely a 3rd rounder. If Dorsey cancels one of Soap/RJF we might get another 4th or 5th and probably another in that range for Walker. We will have double-digit picks again next year. We are the anti-Raiders.

By the way the Smith deal was mind-boggling great. Other teams are begging for our leftovers.

This is how great franchises are run; this is how the rich stay rich. The Patriots have been the best at it for a long time, but its our turn now. Sit back and enjoy the awesome

I agree with everything you've said here. It's our turn now, ONLY if it means more trophies on the shelf. That's ultimately all that matters...winning.