There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The next wave of talent (A.J. Jenkins, Ian Williams, Darius Fleming, Daniel Kilgore, ...

The good teams weather the erosion of FA with solid drafting and judicious FA spending.

With our losses at QB (Smith), NT (Sopoaga), S (Goldson), DE (Jean-Francois), TE (Walker), K (Akers), WR (Moss), and others, who are the guys that need to step up the most? Obviously, A.J. Jenkins as a 1st rounder needs to show something, but he may not be as vital as some other pieces.

G/C - Kilgore
NT - Williams
DE - Tukuafu
TE/DE - Dobbs
QB - Tolzien
WR - Jenkins
G - Looney
OLB - Fleming
S - Robinson
OLB - Johnson
WR - Lockette

Personally, I think Ian Williams' contract speaks volumes. It reminds me of the RJF contract, and I think that will be his role (a backup to all three positions on the D-line). I'm sure we'll invest heavily in D-lineman in the draft, but that contract is telling. With Goldson leaving, S become a glaring need. Spillman doesn't strike me as a starter, so we either need Robinson to shine and/or we need high draft pick. Also, I think Haralson will get cut so Fleming/Johnson will need to step up. If a guy slides in the draft, we can always use another pass rusher, but D-line and Safety are more pressing. And we should expect to sign a FA kicker or draft one in the 5+ round.
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Mar 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM ]
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
The good teams weather the erosion of FA with solid drafting and judicious FA spending.

With our losses at QB (Smith), NT (Sopoaga), S (Goldson), DE (Jean-Francois), TE (Walker), K (Akers), WR (Moss), and others, who are the guys that need to step up the most? Obviously, A.J. Jenkins as a 1st rounder needs to show something, but he may not be as vital as some other pieces.

G/C - Kilgore
NT - Williams
DE - Tukuafu
QB - Tolzien
WR - Jenkins
G - Looney
OLB - Fleming
S - Robinson
OLB - Johnson
WR - Lockette

Personally, I think Ian Williams' contract speaks volumes. It reminds me of the RJF contract, and I think that will be his role (a backup to all three positions on the D-line). I'm sure we'll invest heavily in D-lineman in the draft, but that contract is telling. With Goldson leaving, S become a glaring need. Spillman doesn't strike me as a starter, so we either need Robinson to shine and/or we need high draft pick. Also, I think Haralson will get cut so Fleming/Johnson will need to step up. If a guy slides in the draft, we can always use another pass rusher, but D-line and Safety are more pressing. And we should expect to sign a FA kicker or draft one in the 5+ round.

I firmly believe Haralson and Goodwin get cut. That's almost $6 million (I believe, help me out AB) in cap savings and their replacements are already here.
Originally posted by Beeker:
I firmly believe Haralson and Goodwin get cut. That's almost $6 million (I believe, help me out AB) in cap savings and their replacements are already here.

Fleming and Kilgore ?

It's hard to have any confidence with Fleming, as he hasn't even seen the field yet.
Really isn't much to say about any of these dudes til we actually see them in action.
Really isn't much to say about any of these dudes til we actually see them in action.
In terms of our needs though, which guys do we need to step up?
  • Garcia
  • Veteran

not gonna happen
Originally posted by valrod33:

i have no clue how that posted 3x

Fleming and Kilgore ?

It's hard to have any confidence with Fleming, as he hasn't even seen the field yet.

Fleming/Johnson and Looney/Kilgore
Originally posted by Garcia:

not gonna happen

Yeah, I'd like to see Kilgore or Looney step-up and make Goodwin expendable, I don't see us shaking up the OL just yet. OL will be up for a change next offseason as both Anthony Davis and Iupati will be needing contract extensions. Goodwin can take a hike then.

Fleming and Kilgore ?

Fleming/Johnson and Looney/Kilgore

I haven't heard anything bout Looney being a C. I think he's the backup at the G spot this year.
Don't forget we get Dobbs back as well...he seemed to ball @ RDE until he got hurt.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Don't forget we get Dobbs back as well...he seemed to ball @ RDE until he got hurt.

Good call...