LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

I hope Dorsey and Woodson walk into 49ers headquarters and come out as 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Here's what I'd like to see happen (3 more veteran signings along with 4 high picks):

- Dorsey signs and essentially replaces RJF
- Draft a NT with on of our first 5 picks (Hankins, Jenkins, JWilliams, BWilliams, Hughes, etc.)
- Woodson signs and replaces Whitner (who is released) at SS; Trenton Robinson backs up Woodson and is the eventual SS
- We sign a veteran CB to a reasonable contract after the market cools; move Culliver to FS (like the Texans did with Glover Quin)
- Draft a FS with one of our first 5 picks in the event Culliver doesn't work out (Cyprien, Reid, PhThomas, etc.)
- Draft a 3-4 DE and a 3-4 OLB with one of our first five picks to add to the pass rush

Let's say the 49ers even trade for Revis and they give up their 1st rounder or one of their 2nd's and a conditional pick next year to get him. You have Revis and Brown at CB, you can try Culliver at safety or put Robinson there. Play Whitner at strong safety or draft someone to take over that spot, having 2 1st year safeties probably isn't the best idea though. Next year, you let Brown walk as a free agent, you cut Rogers, you end up with Culliver and Revis as your starters at CB plus Robinson and whichever rookie was drafted this year at SS.

Regarding Revis, I'd give up one of our second round picks and the Chiefs conditional pick next year for him, making the trade essentially Darrell Revis for Alex Smith. I'd definitely then move Cully to free safety and have Robinson back him up, then draft a CB relatively high (Banks, Slay, Webb, Amerson, Alford, Gratz, Tharold Simon, Hawthorne, etc.) to eventually replace T-Brown.
Primarily because many teams seem to be moving away from having/needing the hard-hitting types (especially with the new rules) and more towards the coverage guys. But that said, if Robinson is better at FS, I have no issue with that. I just don't think he quite has the size you want (just under 5'10") in the middle of the field, and is probably better suited as a solid cover SS type who can even take on guys in the slot.

He's the same size as Earl Thomas. Not to say that he's the same player of course but he has pretty good coverage skills.

I do think you need two safeties with good coverage abilities, the SS generally needs to be someone who can play closer to the line, and having a hard-hitting enforcer doesn't hurt AS LONG as that person has the appropriate coverage skills which Whitner doesn't. The 49ers have currently had an odd situation at safety. They've had two very physical safeties, two hard hitters, but their free safety was so-so in coverage and their strong safety is atrocious in coverage, yet the free safety was significantly bigger physically. Ideally, Goldson should have been at SS with another player at free safety. Even though I absolutely love Anthony Davis as a player, one of my biggest regrets is that the 49ers passed up Earl Thomas, who could have essentially been their Ed Reed, to take Davis.

If there's a chance that Trent Robinson can be the guy for the 49ers at FS, then that is awesome and I wonder if the coaching staff has a good feeling about him, thus letting Goldson walk. What I'd like to see at strong safety is someone bigger, a physical presence who is also solid in coverage. In that regard, I'd like to see a Jonathan Cyprien or a JJ Wilcox, physical, hard-hitting, aggressive players who can also hold up in coverage,
yes, if Robinson had Thomas' skills, I'd say it's a no-brainer!

I definitely think they see a lot of promise in Robinson, but the question is what role. Again, if we added a veteran corner and I had to choose an alignment in the secondary, I'd have Cully at FS and Robinson at SS (and draft FS/SS prospects like Cyprien, Wilcox or one my favorites, Earl Wolff, to back them up). But I would do that knowing their roles are pretty much interchangeable and that even though I'm giving up something in the run game and in the physicality department, I'm getting much more back in coverage (which is what hurt us the most towards the end of the year, IMO).
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 13, 2013 at 12:11 PM ]
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Would love both of them, especially Woodson. I'm not sure Dorsey is the right fit in 3-4. He struggled a bit in that system, but maybe KC was asking him to do different things? We are more aggressive, so that should work in his favor.
KC had him playing DE in their 3-4, and you're right, he didn't do so well. I think we might have him playing NT in ours, but given how we play more nickel he will probably rotate inside at tackle more often than not, back in his comfort zone.

I definitely think they see a lot of promise in Robinson, but the question is what role. Again, if we added a veteran corner and I had to choose an alignment in the secondary, I'd have Cully at FS and Robinson at SS (and draft FS/SS prospects to back them up). But I would do that knowing their roles are pretty much interchangeable and that even though I'm giving up something in the run game and in the physicality department, I'm getting much more back in coverage (which is what hurt us the most towards the end of the year, IMO).

I honestly don't care if they put two cornerbacks at safety as long as they can hang with tight-ends and some smaller slot receivers. Getting bombed on repeatedly because the safeties struggled in coverage was b******t. I just want to find two quality starters who are known more for their excellent coverage abilities, not simply because they "lay the wood."
Not sure about Dorsey. Was he really just misused in KC, or just overated out of College/LSU?

As far as Woodson goes.... We already have Whitner, who is stronger in run support than he is in coverage. So was Goldson. We need one safety who is better in coverage.

Good Wood is good to have.
Originally posted by sacguy08:
KC had him playing DE in their 3-4, and you're right, he didn't do so well. I think we might have him playing NT in ours, but given how we play more nickel he will probably rotate inside at tackle more often than not, back in his comfort zone.

He's gotta play inside, that is very evident. Even Pioli said as much, saying that he struggled on the outside but seemed to do better when they put him in the middle. This is one more reason why I'm opposed to certain guys in the draft who fit very well as a 4-3 DT, but not to much as a 3-4 DE. Just because they have the size and are somewhat athletic doesn't make them a good fit.

I definitely think they see a lot of promise in Robinson, but the question is what role. Again, if we added a veteran corner and I had to choose an alignment in the secondary, I'd have Cully at FS and Robinson at SS (and draft FS/SS prospects to back them up). But I would do that knowing their roles are pretty much interchangeable and that even though I'm giving up something in the run game and in the physicality department, I'm getting much more back in coverage (which is what hurt us the most towards the end of the year, IMO).

I honestly don't care if they put two cornerbacks at safety as long as they can hang with tight-ends and some smaller slot receivers. Getting bombed on repeatedly because the safeties struggled in coverage was b******t. I just want to find two quality starters who are known more for their excellent coverage abilities, not simply because they "lay the wood."

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
And 49ers have reached agreement with former Chiefs DT Glenn Dorsey.

Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
Goldson is a bigger hitter BUT WOODSON is NIGHT AND DAY A BETTER COVER SAFETY and I'll even say Woodson is a better blitzer too, But I do love Goldsons effort and emotion he brought to the 49ers and we are gonna miss him. I do hope they sign woodson.

You don't need to be a bigger hitter if you can cover better, or intercept. Don't let them make the reception in the first place. I know Goldson can intercept, but some of those interceptions were thrown right to him.

This. Its unquestionable that Dorsey plays better on the inside but I'd still like to see the 49ers draft someone like Brandon Williams as their long-term NT solution.

Does signing someone like Dorsey mean they wouldn't take a guy like Datone Jones? With J. Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Ian Williams, and a drafted NT, there might not be enough room for a guy like Datone.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by lamontb:
I'm good with Dorsey but not so hype about Woodson but it's not much out there there they can afford at that position.

I think Woodson is perfect for what the Niners need.

They aren't looking for a guy to be around for 5 or 6 years. They are looking for a guy who can help them NOW while they groom a draft pick who is FAR, FAR cheaper than Goldson.

I liked Reed better than Woodson, but those were the two guys I was looking at all along.
True. And hopefully i'm just dead wrong. But I just don't see either guy being much help at this point in their careers. Mostly due to injury concerns.
[ Edited by lamontb on Mar 13, 2013 at 12:28 PM ]
Originally posted by mkary12:
This. Its unquestionable that Dorsey plays better on the inside but I'd still like to see the 49ers draft someone like Brandon Williams as their long-term NT solution.

Does signing someone like Dorsey mean they wouldn't take a guy like Datone Jones? With J. Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Ian Williams, and a drafted NT, there might not be enough room for a guy like Datone.

IMO, Dorsey is more of an inside guy on nickel downs, and possible back-up at 3-4 DE....but his signing doesn't mean we won't go 3-4 DE. We still need a backup/eventual replacement for Smith, and Dorsey isn't really that guy.
IMO, Dorsey is more of an inside guy on nickel downs, and possible back-up at 3-4 DE....but his signing doesn't mean we won't go 3-4 DE. We still need a backup/eventual replacement for Smith, and Dorsey isn't really that guy.

Yeah, but now that backup DE and eventual replacement for Smith seems like less of a need than NT or S, even if they sign a safety in free agency. So, probably means they wouldn't go for a guy like Datone Jones in the first. He was my draft crush.
Originally posted by mkary12:

Still need a DE for depth and as a potential replacement for Justin Smith. I see Dorsey more as a replacement for Soap inside than anything else.
Share 49ersWebzone