Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Here's what I'd like to see happen (3 more veteran signings along with 4 high picks):
- Dorsey signs and essentially replaces RJF
- Draft a NT with on of our first 5 picks (Hankins, Jenkins, JWilliams, BWilliams, Hughes, etc.)
- Woodson signs and replaces Whitner (who is released) at SS; Trenton Robinson backs up Woodson and is the eventual SS
- We sign a veteran CB to a reasonable contract after the market cools; move Culliver to FS (like the Texans did with Glover Quin)
- Draft a FS with one of our first 5 picks in the event Culliver doesn't work out (Cyprien, Reid, PhThomas, etc.)
- Draft a 3-4 DE and a 3-4 OLB with one of our first five picks to add to the pass rush
Let's say the 49ers even trade for Revis and they give up their 1st rounder or one of their 2nd's and a conditional pick next year to get him. You have Revis and Brown at CB, you can try Culliver at safety or put Robinson there. Play Whitner at strong safety or draft someone to take over that spot, having 2 1st year safeties probably isn't the best idea though. Next year, you let Brown walk as a free agent, you cut Rogers, you end up with Culliver and Revis as your starters at CB plus Robinson and whichever rookie was drafted this year at SS.
Regarding Revis, I'd give up one of our second round picks and the Chiefs conditional pick next year for him, making the trade essentially Darrell Revis for Alex Smith. I'd definitely then move Cully to free safety and have Robinson back him up, then draft a CB relatively high (Banks, Slay, Webb, Amerson, Alford, Gratz, Tharold Simon, Hawthorne, etc.) to eventually replace T-Brown.