LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

do we have our pass rusher

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i know the lack of pass rusher, killed us but i think a true nose tackle and corner is what we need in the draft , but my question is what about darius fleming and cam johnson as possible dline rotation , why draft what we may possible already have
Um, the answer to your question is probably no.
Originally posted by 15crabtree:
i know the lack of pass rusher, killed us but i think a true nose tackle and corner is what we need in the draft , but my question is what about darius fleming and cam johnson as possible dline rotation , why draft what we may possible already have

This is a better post. Fleming and Johnson are both pass rushers at the OLB position and have a shot to back up both Aldon/Brooks. We can hope they are equally effective in pass rushing and against the run.

Getting these two plus Dobbs back is like getting three free draft picks WITH a full year+ on OUR defense. Let's hope at least one pans out...
Originally posted by NCommand:
This is a better post. Fleming and Johnson are both pass rushers at the OLB position and have a shot to back up both Aldon/Brooks. We can hope they are equally effective in pass rushing and against the run.

Getting these two plus Dobbs back is like getting three free draft picks WITH a full year+ on OUR defense. Let's hope at least one pans out...

According to those that think Aldon Smith is overrated, we should be more than ok since Justin Smith is the SOLE reason he got over 30 sacks in two years.

In all seriousness, I believe we can get some production out of Johnson and Fleming and if I remember right, Cam Johnson was highly rated coming out in 2012 and it was injuries that had him drafted in the 7th round. I would still use a lower pick on a pass rusher and hope we would be good to go with Johnson, Fleming, and the rookie.

Considering that Baalke has drafted the only effective rusher for this team since Andre Carter, I'm thinking he can identify college defensive ends that can make the transition to 3-4 OLB (Johnson).
Originally posted by English:
Um, the answer to your question is probably no.

I don't think we've seen enough of Fleming and especially Cam Johnson to know yet. They've both got the physical tools to succeed.
99 and 94. injuries slowed em both down in the playoffs. theyre still awesome. if we can get abraham too were gonna be ridiculous up front
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Considering that Baalke has drafted the only effective rusher for this team since Andre Carter, I'm thinking he can identify college defensive ends that can make the transition to 3-4 OLB (Johnson).

This. Exactly. I was saying a while ago that when Baalke broke down film of Aldon and the true characteristics, I knew Brooks/Aldon would be our bookends...this guys knows what he is looking for and most importantly, knows what we SHOULD be looking for. This is why I'm excited to see a healthy Cam, Dobbs, Fleming and anyone else he brings in here including NT and DE.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Yes Cam Johnson was originally suppose to be a #1 pick last year. However off the field issues and injuries dropped him a lot in the draft. He has all the tools to be a good pass rusher. I believe 2013 he will show up.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
99 and 94. injuries slowed em both down in the playoffs. theyre still awesome. if we can get abraham too were gonna be ridiculous up front

if we can get him at a Balkee price I'd be pretty stoked.
Cam and Flemming have a benefit of being in the system for a year.

That said, I have zero faith in Dobbs.

If Cam and Fleming can effective sub for our starters then I feel we're ok in that area. Jury is definitely out.

I thought Fleming was drafted as a inside linebacker? ??
C.Jenkins replaces Soap in the middle along with a drafted player, McDonald on 1st and 2nd downs then we either go after either Abraham/Umenyiora or Avril for passing downs. Passing downs with Smith Bros and those (2) new additions. 4 Man rush, no need to blitz!! Secondary all of sudden looks amazing again.
never have enough!
Hope we sign Abraham

Rotation of Brooks, Aldon, and Abraham
Lets give Julian Peterson a call.
Share 49ersWebzone