LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 319 users in the forums

Would you trade for Revis if...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I could see us giving up a third for him and hoping we get a third in 2 years when he leaves. But even so, we already have too much money tied up in our defense. We run the risk of losing one of our current players if we pay Revis 6 million for a one year rental.

I would rather keep a 2nd or first round pick for 4 years at a cheap price, than Revis for 1 year.
Why another Revis thread?
give em a 3rd this year , and a 3rd next year ....thats fair compensation for the Jets

then package some of our mid round picks to get back into the 3rd , or maybe even another 2nd , depending on how many picks we could package, but we dont need ALL 15 picks , if we could grab a CB, WR, DE, TE , FS with our first 5 picks, AND pick up Revis , that would be SWEET

But I wouldnt be bummed if we picked up Asomugha in free agency , and saved draft picks , I would be one happy 49ers fan
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by KegBert:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Dont know why everyone is so high on all these draft picks. We're not rebuilding. And I dont buy the "build for the future" hype. If we had won the last 2 SBs, then Id be all for the status quo and building for a dynasty. But the reality here is that we're NOT a dynasty, and in today's league full of parity, it's easy for teams to fall apart in a frame of 2-3 years. The goal is to win ONE first, then think about the future. At this point, Revis is a better option at winning the SB next year than any draft choice we will pick late in the first / early 2nd. And this is taking into consideration that neither of those 2 picks are necessarily required to make a trade for him.

I say we give up a couple picks for him, and see how he pans out. It could turn out to be a foil, but what if does actually return to form (as expected) ? With our explosive offense, this team will be very tough to beat.

Draft picks = cheap labor = more super stars on the team.
Free agents = expensive labor = fewer super stars on the team.

It's like that Capitol One commercial. "Who wouldn't want 50% more cash?" Except instead of cash, it's star players.

No guarantee that one of those draft picks becomes a superstar. More specific, very small chance that said draft picks become instant contributors to an already beefed roster. All Im saying is that this team is not in rebuild mode. Neither are we short in major facets of the team. What we need is to plug holes to shore up some weak spots. This is where guys like Revis can play a major role of a roster. If this was 2005-2007 and we were going after Revis (like we did Clements), then Im with the masses -- we had bigger needs at that time. But what we have here is a SB team that got burned in the last 6 weeks bc the dline / corners couldnt consistently do their jobs. If you have an opportunity to fix one of these weaknesses (and I acknowledge that its a risk, but only a ONE year risk), why not give up a couple picks knowing that we have a boatload more in the treasure trunk ?

It's not even that these draft picks will turn into superstars, they might but it is not a given. It's that they will be much cheaper and will allow us more money to keep our already proven stars.

It's been mentioned a lot around the board that in next couple years we will have a lot of big names to resign, such as Iupati, AD, T brown, Aldon, Kap etc. Revis is going to want big time money and I would rather that go to resigning the previous mentioned players than a busted up Revis.

Yes, correct. It's not that the draft picks turn into stars, its that the draft picks are cheap labor. How good they are, is besides the point. The cheap labor is what will allow us to keep our star players. We don't need to search for star players, because our roster is already loaded with them. We need to focus on keeping the ones we already have.
Signing Revis would mean losing, for example, Iupati and Crabtree. I would rather keep Iupati and Crabtree, and I would rather keep our draft picks. Losing both the high draft picks and two good players, just to have one good player who may or may not be good after his knee injury is simply insane. I don't want to sound harsh, but that is my opinion and I'm sure Baalke agrees with it.

He's a one year rental. Doesnt affect the status of guys like Crabtree and Iupati at all. We get him for a year, and see how he pans out. If we win the SB, there's no loss in it. If we dont, there's no loss in it bc he walks after the season's over.

If this was about signing Revis for the longrun, and in essence compromising the contracts of guys like Crabtree and Iupati, I dont think anyone would be on board for this trade. Now, you do have a point that by going after Revis we could potentially lose out on Goldson and maybe even Delanie Walker. But it seems to me that the Niners have no intention on overpaying for Goldson's services, and Walker is asking for starter TE money, which he will not get from this team. It just seems like Revis is a low risk acquisition and it makes it even more necessary if we lose out on Goldson bc the last thing we need is our current secondary teamed up with Whitner (weak in coverage) and a no-name / rookie safety replacing Goldson.
Dillusional!

Read this and see the TRUTH!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147653/article/new-york-jets-face-hard-decision-regarding-darrelle-revis-future
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Knowing he's pretty much a one-year rental who's coming off knee surgery, the Jets aren't going to get great value for him. If they would take our low 2nd (#63) and a 4th next year, I'd do it. His 2013 cap number is only $6M (that's less than Carlos Rogers' cap figure!)...to put that in perspective, by releasing David Akers (already done) and Parys Haralson (hopefully next), Revis is already paid for.

Even if Revis wanted to be a rental, which he has already said he does not, we don't know what kind of player we are getting for that one year. We are throwing away cheap labor with those draft picks. Cheap labor is everything. If we don't have cheap labor, it means we have to go out and find free agents to replace the cheap labor.

This is exactly like last year with the Nnamdi stuff. I really don't understand it, don't people want to keep the players we already have? Don't people LIKE the players we have? Crabtree, Iupati, Aldon, Kap, A Davis? We will LOSE a bunch of them if we: A: Lose draft picks, and/or B: Pay for big name free agents. Doing either ONE of those things is bad, but doing both? Why not just drive the team bus off a cliff? That will be just about as damaging to the team.

I understand some just want the one year rental, but we would have to lose critical draft picks, just to have a guy who may or may not be the same player for ONE lousy year. This is not Deion Sanders folks, this is not 1994, and Revis is not healthy. He is injurerd, badly. We need those draft picks, badly.

I didn't suggest we throw the entire draft away. I said, one low 2nd and something in 2014. With our projected compensatory picks, we'll have 15 picks in total....that's almost double what most teams will have this year.

And it's not Revis' choice to be a rental or not. Whether he gets traded or not, he has one year left on his deal at a very reasonable price. No team, not even the Jets, are going to give him an extension until they see him playing at the level he used to play at, so he's out of luck no matter what in terms of signing a long-term deal before the season starts.

So do we need our picks badly? Sort of. We actually don't have 15 open roster spots so we won't be using all of our draft picks anyway. But to trade JUST ONE of our 2013 picks for a potential shut down corner as we make a Super Bowl run, I seriously don't see the downside in it. Revis should be ready to go by training camp, and by mid-way in the season, should be back to normal playing speed (heck, Adrian Peterson came back even quicker than that).

I see almost no downside to giving up JUST ONE of our 2013 picks from our total of 15 to land a player like Revis. I think you're overstating the whole "cheap labor" thing considering how many picks we have and how many roster spots are actually open. I also think you're overstating his injury; it's fairly common now for players to return from the surgery he had. Yes, it's absolutely possible that he may never return to full health and be the player he was....absolutely correct about that. And if I didn't have a whole boatload of picks to work with, I wouldn't give them up and take that gamble either.

But we do have a boatload of picks, 5 of them in the top 100 to be exact. So giving up just one of those (knowing I'd have 10 more in the next 4 rounds) on a 27 year-old corner who (when healthy) is considered the games best, isn't much of a gamble at all. Also, take a look at Peyton Manning...many on this board didn't want to touch him because of the neck injury. I think he showed a lot of people what a determined athlete who has something to prove, can do. Knowing Revis is a free agent in 2014, you have to believe he'll put everything he can into his rehab and into getting back to top form in 2013.

And what if he doesn't regain his form? Even though we gave up a late 2nd (#63), we could still use that early 2nd (#34 overall) to land a top CB JUST IN CASE Revis isn't the same player....and we'd still have Brown, Culliver, Rogers, Cox and Brock (the group that we got to the Super Bowl with) to handle the CB duties in the event Revis isn't capable and the rookie CB isn't ready. I'm not sure one can cover his bases any better than that.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Mar 8, 2013 at 9:40 AM ]
I didn't suggest we throw the entire draft away. I said, one low 2nd and something in 2014. With our projected compensatory picks, we'll have 15 picks in total....that's almost double what most teams will have this year.

And it's not Revis' choice to be a rental or not. Whether he gets traded or not, he has one year left on his deal at a very reasonable price. No team, not even the Jets, are going to give him an extension until they see him playing at the level he used to play at, so he's out of luck no matter what in terms of signing a long-term deal before the season starts.

So do we need our picks badly? Sort of. We actually don't have 15 open roster spots so we won't be using all of our draft picks anyway. But to trade JUST ONE of our 2013 picks for a potential shut down corner as we make a Super Bowl run, I seriously don't see the downside in it. Revis should be ready to go by training camp, and by mid-way in the season, should be back to normal playing speed (heck, Adrian Peterson came back even quicker than that).

I see almost no downside to giving up JUST ONE of our 2013 picks from our total of 15 to land a player like Revis. I think you're overstating the whole "cheap labor" thing considering how many picks we have and how many roster spots are actually open. I also think you're overstating his injury; it's fairly common now for players to return from the surgery he had. Yes, it's absolutely possible that he may never return to full health and be the player he was....absolutely correct about that. And if I didn't have a whole boatload of picks to work with, I wouldn't give them up and take that gamble either.

But we do have a boatload of picks, 5 of them in the top 100 to be exact. So giving up just one of those (knowing I'd have 10 more in the next 4 rounds) on a 27 year-old corner who (when healthy) is considered the games best, isn't much of a gamble at all. Also, take a look at Peyton Manning...many on this board didn't want to touch him because of the neck injury. I think he showed a lot of people what a determined athlete who has something to prove, can do. Knowing Revis is a free agent in 2014, you have to believe he'll put everything he can into his rehab and into getting back to top form in 2013.

And what if he doesn't regain his form? Even though we gave up a late 2nd (#63), we could still use that early 2nd (#34 overall) to land a top CB JUST IN CASE Revis isn't the same player....and we'd still have Brown, Culliver, Rogers, Cox and Brock (the group that we got to the Super Bowl with) to handle the CB duties in the event Revis isn't capable and the rookie CB isn't ready. I'm not sure one can cover his bases any better than that.

Assuming his knee will be healthy, (I am a warriors fan, and Andrew Bogut was "supposed" to be healthy by now) assuming that we can get him for the #63 pick, I might be OK with the one-year rental. Those are two huge assumptions however.

Also, a #63 pick is very good pick, especially in this year's draft. That should be a starter quality type of player, or at least a quality rotational player / backup. So yes, we have "fifteen picks", but we only have one first rounder and two second rounders, which are much more high quality picks. Those quality picks will not be one year rentals, they will be cheap labor for at least 4 - 5 years. That is very significant and hence very valuable. We would be trading 4 - 5 years of cheap labor for a one year rental. So we're not talking about a one-to-one ratio of lost leverage, we are talking about a 4 - 1 ratio of lost leverage.

I know not all high draft picks pan out, but that cancels out with the fact that some of them become stars. On average, we are talking about a solid football player, for 4 - 5 years of cheap labor who can fill out a roster and allow us to keep our core team intact.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Mar 8, 2013 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Dillusional!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000147653/article/new-york-jets-face-hard-decision-regarding-darrelle-revis-future

Every GM they asked said they would set the floor at two #2's, a #1 and a #2 etc. None of them said anything about a single pick. Throwing away TWO high draft picks for a one year rental? I kinda feel sorry for the Jets. No team in the league is dumb enough to make that deal. If you really want Revis, you can wait a year, then pay him infinity billion dollars without throwing away any picks.
We had Rod Woodson in his year back from the ACL (1996). He was a shadow of his former self. He went on after that to be a great safety but nobody know if he is going to be the next AP and be BETTER on a bionic knee or be like a lotta guys with ACLs (me included lol) and never be the same.

Just sign Nmamdi to a cap friendly deal. I'd rather bet that Nmamdi returns to form as opposed to Revis. And, Nmamdi gets to go back to "waking up with Renel in morning" like he used to. The Bay Area fans will forget his Eagle days and remember his Cal / Raider days.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Dillusional!

Every GM they asked said they would set the floor at two #2's, a #1 and a #2 etc. None of them said anything about a single pick. Throwing away TWO high draft picks for a one year rental? I kinda feel sorry for the Jets. No team in the league is dumb enough to make that deal. If you really want Revis, you can wait a year, then pay him infinity billion dollars without throwing away any picks.

Baalke at most would give are our #2 pick in the Second Round (#96) but he'd never give a 1 and 2. Revis was the #14 overall.

Nobody, I mean nobody, is going to give those picks. You would if he were healthy coming off his 2009 season. Kinda like when Champ got traded. But that's it.

No, no and no. Back in Eddie D's days, money was no object...no cap, so affluent owners spent whatever they wanted to acquire key players to put their teams over the hump. Those days are long gone...and the few owners who haven't learned that lesson yet (such as Daniel Snyder, Jerry Jones, etc.) have hurt their teams. Maybe Snyder's learned his lesson...because he gave Shanahan power over player personnel. The point is, it makes no sense to rent a player, even Revis, for one season. He's made no secret his desire is to become the highest paid defensive player in the league. Guess what...that means a ridiculous salary demand after he becomes a FA. With Baalke, that dog just won't hunt, and IMHO that's absolutely the right call.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
No, no and no. Back in Eddie D's days, money was no object...no cap, so affluent owners spent whatever they wanted to acquire key players to put their teams over the hump. Those days are long gone...and the few owners who haven't learned that lesson yet (such as Daniel Snyder, Jerry Jones, etc.) have hurt their teams. Maybe Snyder's learned his lesson...because he gave Shanahan power over player personnel. The point is, it makes no sense to rent a player, even Revis, for one season. He's made no secret his desire is to become the highest paid defensive player in the league. Guess what...that means a ridiculous salary demand after he becomes a FA. With Baalke, that dog just won't hunt, and IMHO that's absolutely the right call.

Excellent point. Breaking the bank for that "one player" to get you over the top doesn't really work, especially in the salary cap era. It's not Baalke's style anyways. Sure, he's inquired about big name players. But once the salary demands reached astronomical proportions, he was more than willing to back off and seek better value. To get Revis would require significant draft compensation, and a huge contract extension if we want him beyond 1 year. It's not worth it.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I'd go #61 and a 4th or 5th.

I agree and this the right type of trade to make for Revis don't give up the barn for one damn Cow!!!!
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Knowing he's pretty much a one-year rental who's coming off knee surgery, the Jets aren't going to get great value for him. If they would take our low 2nd (#63) and a 4th next year, I'd do it. His 2013 cap number is only $6M (that's less than Carlos Rogers' cap figure!)...to put that in perspective, by releasing David Akers (already done) and Parys Haralson (hopefully next), Revis is already paid for.

THIS
Hell no, 27 year old player, coming off a major injury and who will want a mega deal and require draft picks. Hell to the no.
Share 49ersWebzone