LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 124 users in the forums

Would you trade for Revis if...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CRABTREE:
Do it! We Dont need 15 picks! Trade 2 PICKS For THE BEST CB

But IS HE still THE BEST CB? We don't know. I would say probably, but, until he's back at however close he gets to 100%, we don't KNOW.
Check this one out:

http://www.nfl.com/photos/0ap1000000147634/0ap2000000147595
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Dont know why everyone is so high on all these draft picks. We're not rebuilding. And I dont buy the "build for the future" hype. If we had won the last 2 SBs, then Id be all for the status quo and building for a dynasty. But the reality here is that we're NOT a dynasty, and in today's league full of parity, it's easy for teams to fall apart in a frame of 2-3 years. The goal is to win ONE first, then think about the future. At this point, Revis is a better option at winning the SB next year than any draft choice we will pick late in the first / early 2nd. And this is taking into consideration that neither of those 2 picks are necessarily required to make a trade for him.

I say we give up a couple picks for him, and see how he pans out. It could turn out to be a foil, but what if does actually return to form (as expected) ? With our explosive offense, this team will be very tough to beat.

Draft picks = cheap labor = more super stars on the team.
Free agents = expensive labor = fewer super stars on the team.

It's like that Capitol One commercial. "Who wouldn't want 50% more cash?" Except instead of cash, it's star players.

No guarantee that one of those draft picks becomes a superstar. More specific, very small chance that said draft picks become instant contributors to an already beefed roster. All Im saying is that this team is not in rebuild mode. Neither are we short in major facets of the team. What we need is to plug holes to shore up some weak spots. This is where guys like Revis can play a major role of a roster. If this was 2005-2007 and we were going after Revis (like we did Clements), then Im with the masses -- we had bigger needs at that time. But what we have here is a SB team that got burned in the last 6 weeks bc the dline / corners couldnt consistently do their jobs. If you have an opportunity to fix one of these weaknesses (and I acknowledge that its a risk, but only a ONE year risk), why not give up a couple picks knowing that we have a boatload more in the treasure trunk ?

It's not even that these draft picks will turn into superstars, they might but it is not a given. It's that they will be much cheaper and will allow us more money to keep our already proven stars.

It's been mentioned a lot around the board that in next couple years we will have a lot of big names to resign, such as Iupati, AD, T brown, Aldon, Kap etc. Revis is going to want big time money and I would rather that go to resigning the previous mentioned players than a busted up Revis.
I would rather keep Smith and try to make him a CB before trading for Revis... I think Revis is damaged goods who could become a toxin much like Jacobs was
Originally posted by Beeker:
Check this one out:

Thats sick man Revis is a pipe dream but I still believe in
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
No.

~ Injured leg.
~ Huge salary.
~ Hasn't played like his peak in a while.
~ No guarantee he ever regains that form.

This. Plus we can just sign him away from the jets without losing a draft pick if we wait a year, if we address the issue in the draft and were still having a problem than sure sign revis..
Dont know why everyone is so high on all these draft picks. We're not rebuilding. And I dont buy the "build for the future" hype. If we had won the last 2 SBs, then Id be all for the status quo and building for a dynasty. But the reality here is that we're NOT a dynasty, and in today's league full of parity, it's easy for teams to fall apart in a frame of 2-3 years. The goal is to win ONE first, then think about the future. At this point, Revis is a better option at winning the SB next year than any draft choice we will pick late in the first / early 2nd. And this is taking into consideration that neither of those 2 picks are necessarily required to make a trade for him.

I say we give up a couple picks for him, and see how he pans out. It could turn out to be a foil, but what if does actually return to form (as expected) ? With our explosive offense, this team will be very tough to beat.

It's like that Capitol One commercial. "Who wouldn't want 50% more cash?" Except instead of cash, it's star players.

Especially since last years draft picks were such a HUGE part of our success. Lets keep drafting for the bench.....
Originally posted by Beeker:
Check this one out:

Hahahaha! We would DEFINITELY need Revis if we still had those other fools.
Knowing he's pretty much a one-year rental who's coming off knee surgery, the Jets aren't going to get great value for him. If they would take our low 2nd (#63) and a 4th next year, I'd do it. His 2013 cap number is only $6M (that's less than Carlos Rogers' cap figure!)...to put that in perspective, by releasing David Akers (already done) and Parys Haralson (hopefully next), Revis is already paid for.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I wouldn't touch Revis. Bad knee and bad attitude is a bad combination.

Originally posted by gunslinger8:

Especially since last years draft picks were such a HUGE part of our success. Lets keep drafting for the bench.....

This year, we have a lot more draft picks, and we'll need some of them to start right away because, unlike last year, this year we'll lose Goldson and probably a couple of other key players.
Originally posted by KegBert:

No guarantee that one of those draft picks becomes a superstar. More specific, very small chance that said draft picks become instant contributors to an already beefed roster. All Im saying is that this team is not in rebuild mode. Neither are we short in major facets of the team. What we need is to plug holes to shore up some weak spots. This is where guys like Revis can play a major role of a roster. If this was 2005-2007 and we were going after Revis (like we did Clements), then Im with the masses -- we had bigger needs at that time. But what we have here is a SB team that got burned in the last 6 weeks bc the dline / corners couldnt consistently do their jobs. If you have an opportunity to fix one of these weaknesses (and I acknowledge that its a risk, but only a ONE year risk), why not give up a couple picks knowing that we have a boatload more in the treasure trunk ?

It's not even that these draft picks will turn into superstars, they might but it is not a given. It's that they will be much cheaper and will allow us more money to keep our already proven stars.

It's been mentioned a lot around the board that in next couple years we will have a lot of big names to resign, such as Iupati, AD, T brown, Aldon, Kap etc. Revis is going to want big time money and I would rather that go to resigning the previous mentioned players than a busted up Revis.

Yes, correct. It's not that the draft picks turn into stars, its that the draft picks are cheap labor. How good they are, is besides the point. The cheap labor is what will allow us to keep our star players. We don't need to search for star players, because our roster is already loaded with them. We need to focus on keeping the ones we already have.
Signing Revis would mean losing, for example, Iupati and Crabtree. I would rather keep Iupati and Crabtree, and I would rather keep our draft picks. Losing both the high draft picks and two good players, just to have one good player who may or may not be good after his knee injury is simply insane. I don't want to sound harsh, but that is my opinion and I'm sure Baalke agrees with it.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Mar 8, 2013 at 1:50 AM ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Knowing he's pretty much a one-year rental who's coming off knee surgery, the Jets aren't going to get great value for him. If they would take our low 2nd (#63) and a 4th next year, I'd do it. His 2013 cap number is only $6M (that's less than Carlos Rogers' cap figure!)...to put that in perspective, by releasing David Akers (already done) and Parys Haralson (hopefully next), Revis is already paid for.

Even if Revis wanted to be a rental, which he has already said he does not, we don't know what kind of player we are getting for that one year. We are throwing away cheap labor with those draft picks. Cheap labor is everything. If we don't have cheap labor, it means we have to go out and find free agents to replace the cheap labor.

This is exactly like last year with the Nnamdi stuff. I really don't understand it, don't people want to keep the players we already have? Don't people LIKE the players we have? Crabtree, Iupati, Aldon, Kap, A Davis? We will LOSE a bunch of them if we: A: Lose draft picks, and/or B: Pay for big name free agents. Doing either ONE of those things is bad, but doing both? Why not just drive the team bus off a cliff? That will be just about as damaging to the team.

I understand some just want the one year rental, but we would have to lose critical draft picks, just to have a guy who may or may not be the same player for ONE lousy year. This is not Deion Sanders folks, this is not 1994, and Revis is not healthy. He is injurerd, badly. We need those draft picks, badly.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Now this is a recurring statement that I don't get. When has Revis been a "toxin" or a "locker room cancer"? What's the evidence of the bad attitude? He's played great and professionally for a circus of a team for years. Is it because he wants to get paid? Good for him. Why are we so quick to condemn players who hold out when the NFL teams can cut someone and save huge amounts of money. We just cut Akers and "saved" 3 million or whatever it was, and we're laughing about it. And good thing too, you do what's best for you. Why shouldn't players do the same when they have the leverage?

If this were baseball and contracts were guaranteed then I'd be with you. Holdouts would be despicable. But in the NFL where headline salaries are BS? Why?

Furthermore, Revis has every incentive to play like crazy this year for whichever team trades for him, or even for the Jets if he stays put. The injury and the fact that he's up for FA and can't be franchised mean that he needs to show the world that he's back to his best and deserves the huge payoff in 2014 FA. It's unlikley he;ll get $16 million from anyone before that, not with the injury. But if he's genuinely back to his best he'll get it. In 2014. Not this year.

So the man will be a "one year rental" for whatever team he plays for, including the Jets. A one year rental that will cost $6m and will come with the risk that he's not fully back to his best. The question then becomes: are the Niners willing to be this team and pay the $6m for one year if the picks price for the trade is reasonable for them? You can say no because you don't like his play. You can say no because you fear the injury hobbling him all year. You can say no if you think that the price is too high in terms of picks. These are reasonably objections that merit discussion. All the rest, "locker room cancers" and "taking care of our guys" and "he wants $16 million" is static. They are not pertinent to the question. They are irrelevant.

So let me answer my own question as I have in other threads. I believe the Niners should take the chance for the 1 year rental if his recovery from the ACL shows that he can help throughout the regular season. I think he will certainly be back to his best at some point, but it remains to be seen if that point is in this year. The picks I would pay would include our original first (#31) and perhaps a conditional mid-rounder IF he re-signs for us. Effectively this means that we've traded Alex for Revis and moved down three spots from #31 to #34. I would even throw in #61 if I knew that his recovery is ahead of schedule. I would NOT trade both #31 and #34. That would be silly.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:

Funny...I heard something similar about Crabtree too.
Share 49ersWebzone