There are 159 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Would you trade for Revis if...

Not a chance. Too many questions surrounding Revis and too much money most likely. Build through the draft!
Dont know why everyone is so high on all these draft picks. We're not rebuilding. And I dont buy the "build for the future" hype. If we had won the last 2 SBs, then Id be all for the status quo and building for a dynasty. But the reality here is that we're NOT a dynasty, and in today's league full of parity, it's easy for teams to fall apart in a frame of 2-3 years. The goal is to win ONE first, then think about the future. At this point, Revis is a better option at winning the SB next year than any draft choice we will pick late in the first / early 2nd. And this is taking into consideration that neither of those 2 picks are necessarily required to make a trade for him.

I say we give up a couple picks for him, and see how he pans out. It could turn out to be a foil, but what if does actually return to form (as expected) ? With our explosive offense, this team will be very tough to beat.
It all depends on the situation.

If the situation is that you want to become a winning team for years, then "no".
If the situation is that you want to become a losing team for years, then "yes".

So you see, it all depends on the situation.
The 2nd pick of the 2nd round, plus a 2nd or 3rd rounder next year for a one year rental coming off a devastating knee injury.....sounds like like a good idea.

• buck
  • Veteran
no
Originally posted by HudsonValley:
Dont know why everyone is so high on all these draft picks. We're not rebuilding. And I dont buy the "build for the future" hype. If we had won the last 2 SBs, then Id be all for the status quo and building for a dynasty. But the reality here is that we're NOT a dynasty, and in today's league full of parity, it's easy for teams to fall apart in a frame of 2-3 years. The goal is to win ONE first, then think about the future. At this point, Revis is a better option at winning the SB next year than any draft choice we will pick late in the first / early 2nd. And this is taking into consideration that neither of those 2 picks are necessarily required to make a trade for him.

I say we give up a couple picks for him, and see how he pans out. It could turn out to be a foil, but what if does actually return to form (as expected) ? With our explosive offense, this team will be very tough to beat.

Draft picks = cheap labor = more super stars on the team.
Free agents = expensive labor = fewer super stars on the team.

It's like that Capitol One commercial. "Who wouldn't want 50% more cash?" Except instead of cash, it's star players.
I'd go 2 3rd round picks, and maybe one of those is a conditional 3rd that can become a 2nd if Revis is all-pro.
[ Edited by dhp318 on Mar 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM ]
One second and a fourth. Personally I would rather go after Mike Wallace.
[ Edited by BayArea on Mar 7, 2013 at 5:38 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by HudsonValley:

Draft picks = cheap labor = more super stars on the team.
Free agents = expensive labor = fewer super stars on the team.

It's like that Capitol One commercial. "Who wouldn't want 50% more cash?" Except instead of cash, it's star players.

No guarantee that one of those draft picks becomes a superstar. More specific, very small chance that said draft picks become instant contributors to an already beefed roster. All Im saying is that this team is not in rebuild mode. Neither are we short in major facets of the team. What we need is to plug holes to shore up some weak spots. This is where guys like Revis can play a major role of a roster. If this was 2005-2007 and we were going after Revis (like we did Clements), then Im with the masses -- we had bigger needs at that time. But what we have here is a SB team that got burned in the last 6 weeks bc the dline / corners couldnt consistently do their jobs. If you have an opportunity to fix one of these weaknesses (and I acknowledge that its a risk, but only a ONE year risk), why not give up a couple picks knowing that we have a boatload more in the treasure trunk ?
Originally posted by gbniner:
I would rather package the picks to move up and draft one of the top cb/s in the draft. Cheaper and younger than paying revis

Here's the thing ....we don't HAVE to move up to get one of the top CB/S in the draft. There's a TON of them, as well as DL.
Nope.

At most I would give the Jets a conditional draft pick that would be at highest a 3rd and at lowest 0 compensation that is dependent on playtime.

Revis is a heck of a player, but the era of football where guys are going to complain about their contract and think they are going to make the huge splash in FA are over. Nobody wants the headache that he was for the Jets, coming off an ACL, on the last year of his contract, without the ability to tag him to keep him.

The Jets have no leverage and will be lucky to get anything more than a 3rd imo. They can't keep him. They must trade him or he's going to be a disgruntled 1 foot out the door locker room cancer all season long.
I would have been willing to give up Alex and a 2nd rounder for the best CB in the league. Possibly even a 1st rounder. A shut down corner is the last piece to the puzzle. We are trying to win NOW, not in the future, we don't need any rookies. People doubted Peterson out this season because his ACL, the result was an MVP year. Revis is the Peterson of corners. We must do what we can to get him, it's a shame though because without Alex we probably lost our chance.
Question, though... if we give up a third-rounder for him for just one year, wouldn't we get that third-rounder back in 2014 as a comp pick if/when he signs somewhere else as a FA?

Because if its trading our third-round pick for Revis + a 3rd round 2014 pick, at $6M, that'd be a steal.
Originally posted by sspiker:
Question, though... if we give up a third-rounder for him for just one year, wouldn't we get that third-rounder back in 2014 as a comp pick if/when he signs somewhere else as a FA?

Because if its trading our third-round pick for Revis + a 3rd round 2014 pick, at $6M, that'd be a steal.

Not necessarily. It depends on who/if we sign anyone in FA.
Do it! We Dont need 15 picks! Trade 2 PICKS For THE BEST CB