There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rationale for letting Goldson, Sopoaga go and not sign other FA's

The coaches feel they have someone already on staff that is ready to step up and they will use the draft this year to fill positions of need such as DL, DB, and WR. As for Goldson's position Robinson or Mcbath could be ready. The coaches know and they have a plan B.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Not totally true. There are lots of options for cap management starting with some of the higher paid players who clearly didn't play up to their expensive contracts and who have viable options waiting in the wings (some with players behind them training for a full year or two):

Playing GM, here are some POTENTIAL moves (see some of the bigger moves the Falcons and other teams have made to date):

Lost @ (2013 Salary Cap Amount) - Plan of Action:
Alex (- $9,750,000) - gone; replaced by rookie
Rogers (- $7,344,531) (+ $9,000,000) - gone; replaced by top FA CB/high draft pick
Goodwin (- $5,016,668) - gone; replaced by Looney/Kilgore
Whitner (- $4,933,333) - gone; replaced by Goldson
Manningham (- $4,950,000) - gone; injury settlement; replaced by AJ/Williams
Akers (- $3,616,668) - gone; replaced by draft pick
Haralson (- $2,870,000) - gone; replaced by draft pick and Johnson/Fleming
Sopoaga - gone; replaced by high draft pick
RJF - gone; replaced by Ian Williams
Moss - gone; replaced by Lockette and high draft pick

Could retain @:
Walker (+ $4,000,000) - signed to 2 year deal; 2 years @ 8 million.
Goldson (+ $7,250,000) - signed to 4 year 30 million deal and moved to SS; FS position filled with Spillman/Robinson/Culliver or high draft pick

Per AB (aka Capologist):
Cuts/Trades:
Alex - $9.75m saved
Goodwin - $4.35m saved
Mario - $2.35m saved
Akers - $4.05m saved
Haralson - $2.87m saved

Total cap room now $22.713M

Signings:
Walker and Goldson equals $11.25M
Current cap room- $11.463M left


Nice analysis.

But IMO Walker will not get $4 million a year . . . with the Niners, at least.

Goldson will not get $7.25 million with the Niners. This FO is too fiscally responsible.

1. $7.25 million is right at the franchise tag number, if they wanted him that bad, they would do that while grooming his replacement, but they do not deem him worthy of even that, I'm guessing.

2. The Niners already spend a disproportionate percentage of their Cap money on the defense (most in the league). They will not allow the team to get that far out of balance by handing out another big contract on defense. Especially with Aldon Smith's contract needing visitation at the end of next season.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Nice analysis.

But IMO Walker will not get $4 million a year . . . with the Niners, at least.

Goldson will not get $7.25 million with the Niners. This FO is too fiscally responsible.

1. $7.25 million is right at the franchise tag number, if they wanted him that bad, they would do that while grooming his replacement, but they do not deem him worthy of even that, I'm guessing.

2. The Niners already spend a disproportionate percentage of their Cap money on the defense (most in the league). They will not allow the team to get that far out of balance by handing out another big contract on defense. Especially with Aldon Smith's contract needing visitation at the end of next season.

Great post and perspectives. You are spot on...Goldson's franchise tag would be in the low 7M range (like the high-end proposed deal stated above). I don't think he's worth 6 personally BUT if we move him to SS (better ideal esp. for coverage in the RZ/EZ and playin closer to the LOS and we look at other options for a real, coverage FS it might be worth it). Then you release Whitner and possibly Rogers as well. If we look to keep Culliver at CB, we're good. If he's more ideal for FS (great range, speed, playing down hill now, etc.) great. This is a great draft for both FS and CB. We also have Robinson/Spillman currently on the team. We seemed to have some nice slot CB's in Cox/McBath.

Not sure about Walker. I'm very curious to see his market value as well...you may be dead on on that one as well.

I can't wait to see what this FO is going to do!
I don't see us resigning RJF, Goldson or Delaine - it will come down to $$$.

Delaine goes to KC.

RJF goes to Packers.

Goldston goes to ???
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,124
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
The Rogers contract really p isses me off. That money should have went to Goldson.

Well Rogers wasd coming off a pretty good season, his contract was well deserved at the time.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Nice analysis.

But IMO Walker will not get $4 million a year . . . with the Niners, at least.

Goldson will not get $7.25 million with the Niners. This FO is too fiscally responsible.

1. $7.25 million is right at the franchise tag number, if they wanted him that bad, they would do that while grooming his replacement, but they do not deem him worthy of even that, I'm guessing.

2. The Niners already spend a disproportionate percentage of their Cap money on the defense (most in the league). They will not allow the team to get that far out of balance by handing out another big contract on defense. Especially with Aldon Smith's contract needing visitation at the end of next season.

Great post and perspectives. You are spot on...Goldson's franchise tag would be in the low 7M range (like the high-end proposed deal stated above). I don't think he's worth 6 personally BUT if we move him to SS (better ideal esp. for coverage in the RZ/EZ and playin closer to the LOS and we look at other options for a real, coverage FS it might be worth it). Then you release Whitner and possibly Rogers as well. If we look to keep Culliver at CB, we're good. If he's more ideal for FS (great range, speed, playing down hill now, etc.) great. This is a great draft for both FS and CB. We also have Robinson/Spillman currently on the team. We seemed to have some nice slot CB's in Cox/McBath.

Not sure about Walker. I'm very curious to see his market value as well...you may be dead on on that one as well.

I can't wait to see what this FO is going to do!

Yeah I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of reshuffling on defense this offseason....
I doubt Alex will be replaced by a rookie...they'll draft one, but not as Kap's b/u. I see Harbaugh bringing Josh Johnson back...because of his athleticism and knowledge of the overall offense. Tolzien's not a pistol/read-option kind of QB...
Originally posted by NCommand:
Not totally true. There are lots of options for cap management starting with some of the higher paid players who clearly didn't play up to their expensive contracts and who have viable options waiting in the wings (some with players behind them training for a full year or two):

Playing GM, here are some POTENTIAL moves (see some of the bigger moves the Falcons and other teams have made to date):

Lost @ (2013 Salary Cap Amount) - Plan of Action:
Alex (- $9,750,000) - gone; replaced by rookie
Rogers (- $7,344,531) (+ $9,000,000) - gone; replaced by top FA CB/high draft pick
Goodwin (- $5,016,668) - gone; replaced by Looney/Kilgore
Whitner (- $4,933,333) - gone; replaced by Goldson
Manningham (- $4,950,000) - gone; injury settlement; replaced by AJ/Williams
Akers (- $3,616,668) - gone; replaced by draft pick
Haralson (- $2,870,000) - gone; replaced by draft pick and Johnson/Fleming
Sopoaga - gone; replaced by high draft pick
RJF - gone; replaced by Ian Williams
Moss - gone; replaced by Lockette and high draft pick

Could retain @:
Walker (+ $4,000,000) - signed to 2 year deal; 2 years @ 8 million.
Goldson (+ $7,250,000) - signed to 4 year 30 million deal and moved to SS; FS position filled with Spillman/Robinson/Culliver or high draft pick

Per AB (aka Capologist):
Cuts/Trades:
Alex - $9.75m saved
Goodwin - $4.35m saved
Mario - $2.35m saved
Akers - $4.05m saved
Haralson - $2.87m saved

Total cap room now $22.713M

Signings:
Walker and Goldson equals $11.25M
Current cap room- $11.463M left


What you FAIL to understand is Paraag has done a great job with cutting down on "dead money" that has to be used towards the cap. By cutting everyone on the above list you would accelerate bonuses into the 2013 season, creating a cap situation where the niners could not sign additional players that would be an upgrade as there would be no money left.

That is why the niners have been doing a lot of 1 or 2 year contracts, when you look at the Rogers and Whitner contracts, you would not gain that much cap space by cutting them.
Eagles have tons of cap space and are switching to a 3-4. Add the fact that they hired Gamble and I can see them signing Goldson & either RJF or Soap
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
The Rogers contract really p isses me off. That money should have went to Goldson.

If Goldson isn't a perennial All-Pro level guy (and his coverage skills indicate he isn't), then we should spend $8mil a year on him. Rogers resigning gave us stability at that position when we had none, and he's a good vet to have around for Cully and Brown (and our draft picks).

Whitner is a year younger than Dashon and gives us 85-90% of his contribution (read: run support help). It sucks to let a home grown go, but it's a reality sometimes.
Whitner is going to be in there for at least another season because of his contract. They don't really need an "enforcer" like Goldson back there if he is dead set on leaving for more money. They should draft one of the top safeties and they'll get someone who is faster with better coverage skills. I have always liked Goldson a lot, but he just doesn't make sense for the team at the money he wants to get. And, the way he plays, he's one missed tackle away from breaking his neck and ending his career, so I don't begrudge him wanting to get as much money as he can.
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
The Rogers contract really p isses me off. That money should have went to Goldson.

Newsflash: Whether the Niners are 10 mil under the cap or 50 mil under, they aren't going to overpay Goldson at 8 mil a year. Rogers or Whitner's contracts are irrelevant to not re-signing Goldson.
Unless your name is Earl Thomas or Eric Berry, you shouldn't get overpaid to play Safety these days. Goldson is in that tier below them, and I can't see anyone paying that much for him if the Cowboys just cut Sensabaugh to save $1mil against the cap.

Paying him $8mil a year in our defense makes no sense. Our D is centered around the front 7 (and more specifically, the LBs). That's where our money will be invested. And I'm glad that's the case.
Originally posted by guillotine31:
Unless your name is Earl Thomas or Eric Berry, you shouldn't get overpaid to play Safety these days. Goldson is in that tier below them, and I can't see anyone paying that much for him if the Cowboys just cut Sensabaugh to save $1mil against the cap.

Paying him $8mil a year in our defense makes no sense. Our D is centered around the front 7 (and more specifically, the LBs). That's where our money will be invested. And I'm glad that's the case.

goldson is better than both of the guys you mention, it will be a slight set back on defense.
Originally posted by TruNinerFan:
The Rogers contract really p isses me off. That money should have went to Goldson.

No it should not. CB is a much more valuable position than FS. Also, we aren't invested in Rogers long-term like we would be with Goldson. We could cut Rogers after the 2013 season with minimal impact.

Goldson may be a better safety than Rogers is a CB. But our defense would suck more with Rogers off the field than Goldson.