There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rationale for letting Goldson, Sopoaga go and not sign other FA's

I know everyone wants to re sign Goldson, Sopoaga, Larry Grant, etc. They also want to cut Carlos Rogers and Whitner. This is the reality.

Rogers- Cannot be cut, becaue he has guaranteed money that would count as dead money, so cap saving is not there.
Whitner- See Rogers above, cannot be cut, cap savings not there

Now if Goldson and Sopoaga walk in free agency, and the niners get their replacements via the draft, Baalke et al will get compensatory selections in 2014.

The highest compensatory for Goldson (assuming he starts and plays all season for someone). 3rd rounder
Sopoaga- 7th rounder
RJF- 7th rounder

Just a little reality, niners will build through the draft.
Agreed. The 49ers won't use 15 picks, but they will fit in at least an 8 man draft class (which is smart in a class so deep in starting caliber talent). More needs than people think.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Apparently, there a couple of teams interested in RJF which means he could get a decent contract and matching playing time.

If so, we would get more than a 7th round comp for him.

If Goldson signs elsewhere, and it seems that he will, it will be a mega contract and should bring us a third round comp.
Originally posted by buck:
Apparently, there a couple of teams interested in RJF which means he could get a decent contract and matching playing time.

If so, we would get more than a 7th round comp for him.

If Goldson signs elsewhere, and it seems that he will, it will be a mega contract and should bring us a third round comp.

That's what I see when Baalke says they won't tag Goldson.
I think we find a way to bring RJF back. He could end up like a Ray McDonald for us. A backup who we developed for 4 years, re-signed in FA, then elevated into a starting role.
Damn!!! I was really hoping we would save money by letting whitner walk.
Originally posted by Mann716:
Damn!!! I was really hoping we would save money by letting whitner walk.

I'm hoping Goldson plays ball and we can draft Cyprien as Whitner's replacement, but I don't see Goldson budging.
Nice perspective. I've already accepted that Goldson most likely is not coming back. If he doesn't, this is a great time for the 49ers to draft a replacement because there is a lot of talent available. This draft will give us an opportunity to get some future starters on defensive line and some immediate depth, to put together a solid receiving group for the next few years, get some help in the defensive back field, and draft a solid kicker. All of the above were weaknesses last season and could be turned into strengths.
This is what happens to good teams, you cannot re-sign everyone. It was going to be either Goldson or Bowmn and the team saw more in Bowman and gave him a long deal. I think its a good move to let him walk and draft someone with better coverage skills IMO.
In many ways, the Niners are lucky this off season. This just happens to be a draft that everyone agrees is extremely deep in defensive line, safety and corner talent. The Niners have lots of picks to work with and move around in each round to select the BPA in those areas of need. Two things to keep in mind: 1. The Niners first Super Bowl team had a defensive back field with three rookies and one second-year player, and 2. The strength of the defense has always been the front seven. So, while I hate to see a pro bowl player like Goldson go, I'm not sure it's going to end up hurting the team that badly.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I think we find a way to bring RJF back. He could end up like a Ray McDonald for us. A backup who we developed for 4 years, re-signed in FA, then elevated into a starting role.

Right On
Not totally true. There are lots of options for cap management starting with some of the higher paid players who clearly didn't play up to their expensive contracts and who have viable options waiting in the wings (some with players behind them training for a full year or two):

Playing GM, here are some POTENTIAL moves (see some of the bigger moves the Falcons and other teams have made to date):

Lost @ (2013 Salary Cap Amount) - Plan of Action:
Alex (- $9,750,000) - gone; replaced by rookie
Rogers (- $7,344,531) (+ $9,000,000) - gone; replaced by top FA CB/high draft pick
Goodwin (- $5,016,668) - gone; replaced by Looney/Kilgore
Whitner (- $4,933,333) - gone; replaced by Goldson
Manningham (- $4,950,000) - gone; injury settlement; replaced by AJ/Williams
Akers (- $3,616,668) - gone; replaced by draft pick
Haralson (- $2,870,000) - gone; replaced by draft pick and Johnson/Fleming
Sopoaga - gone; replaced by high draft pick
RJF - gone; replaced by Ian Williams
Moss - gone; replaced by Lockette and high draft pick

Could retain @:
Walker (+ $4,000,000) - signed to 2 year deal; 2 years @ 8 million.
Goldson (+ $7,250,000) - signed to 4 year 30 million deal and moved to SS; FS position filled with Spillman/Robinson/Culliver or high draft pick

Per AB (aka Capologist):
Cuts/Trades:
Alex - $9.75m saved
Goodwin - $4.35m saved
Mario - $2.35m saved
Akers - $4.05m saved
Haralson - $2.87m saved

Total cap room now $22.713M

Signings:
Walker and Goldson equals $11.25M
Current cap room- $11.463M left
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM ]
The Rogers contract really p isses me off. That money should have went to Goldson.
there is no reason for letting RickyJ go, he plays all 3 spots and is pretty good also
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
there is no reason for letting RickyJ go, he plays all 3 spots and is pretty good also

It depends on what kind of offers he gets in the open market. A team may overpay him. I wouldn't break the bank for a backup.